• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

I put together my run about a year or so ago. I had some issues here and there, but was missing most of 1-25. The big issue was a lot of the retailers were WAY over priced. I kept track of eBay and found most of the stuff I wanted. Then I noticed some of the sellers were boardies in this thread and started making deals for good chunks of the run.

The first arc is all pretty key and so low print that those are going to go for a premium. Everything else remained low print, but not to the same extreme. I waited for one of my LCS to have a sale and was able to pick up most of the recent stuff 50% off.

It was a fun hunt, for sure. I think my next goal is going to be the first arc graded.

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

trying to start building an invincible collection. After issue #1 what are considered some keys from this series (without me reading through 300 pages of thread)

Also what is the current rate for #1 9.8?

:foryou:

Looks like only one has sold recently for $600. They've been going between $500-$600 for a while now. It's a book that people aren't willing to let go unless it's big bucks.

I'm not too sure of the keys story-wise. I still need to figure that out one day, but if I was starting a new collection, the issues I would want are 1, 7, 11, 12, 14 (cover), 25, 33, 44, 45, 50, 60-64.

The variants for 50 and 52 are pretty tough to find.

This is pretty much the modern day spider-man, so it will take a bit more time and story to determine what the real keys are, but I'm pretty confident that will indeed happen at some point in the future and certain issues will rise in price moreso than others.

Edited by 400yrs

While I'm not one who believes that previews are anything like true first appearances, especially when issue #1 is the first full story... Invincible #1... it is hard to ignore the Invincible preview books when you're making a list of potentially important Invincible issues. They might become more like Hulk #180 for Invincible, even if they'll never be the Hulk #181 favorite.

Tech Jacket #1 - Released on 11/20/2002

Noble Causes :Family Secrets: #3a, #3b - Released on 12/04/2002

Savage Dragon #102 - Released on 12/04/2002

Masters of the Universe #1a, #1b, #1gold - Released on 12/11/2002

(For comparison)

Invincible #1 - Release on 1/22/2003

While I'm not one who believes that previews are anything like true first appearances, especially when issue #1 is the first full story... Invincible #1... it is hard to ignore the Invincible preview books when you're making a list of potentially important Invincible issues. They might become more like Hulk #180 for Invincible, even if they'll never be the Hulk #181 favorite.

(For comparison)

The Noble Causes book is a one panel cameo within the context of the story. Was the preview in that book too? I can't recall.

(For comparison)

The Noble Causes book is a one panel cameo within the context of the story. Was the preview in that book too? I can't recall.

I don't think the preview was in there. Invincible is on the cover of the X-Men #141 homage version of Noble Causes #3(b) as one of the faces on the wall (with name).

I believe that was the solicited date for Tech Jacket but it ended up being delayed and released after Savage Dragon 102 and Noble Causes.

It might have shipped late, but Tech Jacket #1 was still first according to the Diamond shipping lists.

Nov. 20, 2002 has Tech Jacket #1 as shipped

http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/archive/2002/112002.txt

Dec. 4, 2002 has the others, Savage Dragon #102 and Noble Causes #3

http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/archive/2002/120402.txt

When was Invincible solicited? That Previews would be 1st appearance.

It's definitely an ultrasound. Not sure it counts as a birth.

Don't you think that's kinda the same thing as the previews in the back of the issues listed?

If you ask me, his first cameo appearance is Noble Causes (not just because I have the OA). First full appearance would be issue #1. I don't count the previews.

When was Invincible solicited? That Previews would be 1st appearance.

It's definitely an ultrasound. Not sure it counts as a birth.

Don't you think that's kinda the same thing as the previews in the back of the issues listed?

If you ask me, his first cameo appearance is Noble Causes (not just because I have the OA). First full appearance would be issue #1. I don't count the previews.

"I don't count the previews" seems like you're saying they're equal to all other comics which contain nothing related to Invincible.

There's no way that Tech Jacket #1 is in the same "it doesn't count" category when it comes to Invincible the way that Amazing Spider-Man #53 (random comic) "doesn't count" when it comes to Invincible.

Tech Jacket #1 was the first comic book to be released with Invincible comic story pages. They were a preview. They were repeated in Invincible #1, which was the first full appearance of Invincible.

So, Tech Jacket #1 is definitely a comic book, definitely includes preview pages of Invincible, and it pre-dates Invincible #1.

The Previews catalog with Invincible on it is not a comic book by any stretch, so the first comic book with Invincible isn't a Previews catalog.

But it does preview (in the sense that you can see him) Invincible earlier than any other publication.

The first comic book whose purpose was to tell an Invincible story and to feature Invincible was Invincible #1.

Noble Causes #3 is a comic book, which was released after Tech Jacket #1, which does not feature Invincible. That seems to be "other" compared to the three books above.

I'm arguing that Invincible #1 is the most important Invincible comic, and I'm not sure that anyone disagrees with that. Other key issues from Invincible are also important to Invincible "keys" lists (first appearances of characters, etc.), and I'm not sure that anyone disagrees with that.

The preview books are also worthy of being listed for Invincible "important issues", because they contain Invincible in a comic book, with pages of the story, and they pre-date Invincible #1.

I'm not sure if people are disagreeing that the comic books with the preview are not "also important", but the idea that "they don't count" (at all) seems like the wrong answer to me.

The Previews catalog is the biggest stretch in the conversation... but it does have Invincible on it.

Ok, so, Invincible 1st appearance is Tech Jacket #1. Next.

EDIT: absolutely thought 125 looked brilliant, fantastic work by Ryan as usual. I am still a bit skeptical as to the relevance of this arc and what it holds for our hero once he (or his conscience) returns (assuming he returns) to his own time. Issue 127 can't get here soon enough.

Edited by simplyrob

Agreed on #125. Excellent book - one complaint, though... the issue ended about 3 minutes after I started reading it! :ohnoez:

Yeah, it did. The art looked a bit different. I don't know if it was the inks or colors, but some of the panels looked Larsen-y.