• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

I know it shouldn't strike me as odd, but it is so weird people are selling the Invincible action figures for double on eBay. You can still just go right over to Skybound and buy them... 

Either way, figure ordered!

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

2 minutes ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

I know it shouldn't strike me as odd, but it is so weird people are selling the Invincible action figures for double on eBay. You can still just go right over to Skybound and buy them... 

Either way, figure ordered!

Thanks!

On 4/4/2017 at 7:24 PM, SquareChaos said:

All of the fishermen are already out with their eBay listings.

Do you think the prices will come back down after the initial movie news frenzy fades? I slightly regret being lazy and pushing back completing my run for another day when raw and slabbed books were pretty cheap. 

11 minutes ago, vksince82 said:

Do you think the prices will come back down after the initial movie news frenzy fades? I slightly regret being lazy and pushing back completing my run for another day when raw and slabbed books were pretty cheap. 

Prices will almost certainly drop, this is a pretty normal pattern. Development of this sort of project doesn't happen overnight, so once things have been radio silent for a while interest will wane until something pops up again.

7 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Prices will almost certainly drop, this is a pretty normal pattern. Development of this sort of project doesn't happen overnight, so once things have been radio silent for a while interest will wane until something pops up again.

I think prices will rise a bunch and then stabilize. This book has a super small print run and it has a loyal following. I don't see the prices ever going back down to what it was a year or two ago. 

3 hours ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

I think prices will rise a bunch and then stabilize. This book has a super small print run and it has a loyal following. I don't see the prices ever going back down to what it was a year or two ago. 

Then it would be different than almost every other movie book I've seen in the last decade.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:40 PM, SquareChaos said:

I know there is a movies forum but screw it.

We have to cast Invincible the Movie. Who plays the big guns? Mark, Nolan, Eve and of course, Allen the Alien.

Anyone that mentions Tom Selleck, you're out of line :slapfight:

Mark = Ezra Miller

Nolan = Jon Hamm

Eve = Molly C. Queen

Allen = Dwayne Johnson

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

Then it would be different than almost every other movie book I've seen in the last decade.

I think the small print run and loyal following does make it a bit different. 

But you implied the book would go down after the bump. I'm not sure that is true. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

I think the small print run and loyal following does make it a bit different. 

But you implied the book would go down after the bump. I'm not sure that is true. 

I'm saying it will go up and down as stretches of no news / news happens over the coming years. I'd be surprised to see a movie before 2020.

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm saying it will go up and down as stretches of no news / news happens over the coming years. I'd be surprised to see a movie before 2020.

Do a lot of books actually go down? I thought they saw spikes than maintained... then spiked again. 

This book is a different animal simply because of the following it has. We are a small group. When people find out how good this book is, they are going to want it. They will have a hard time finding it though. 

Small print run and not a ton graded on census. Granted this number could go up a little with people trying to cash in but there's less than 700 graded copies total on the CGC census and not a lot of 9.8's, less than 200.  

I could see the 9.8s easily maintaining a large price even when movie news is slow to non existent. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

Do a lot of books actually go down? I thought they saw spikes than maintained... then spiked again. 

This book is a different animal simply because of the following it has. We are a small group. When people find out how good this book is, they are going to want it. They will have a hard time finding it though. 

My experience is that they go up and down. I can't imagine it would drop below whatever the previous watermark was ($700 #1 9.8?) unless the movie comes out and it's bad, or unless it enters production hell or something of that nature.

The 'this is a small print run / loyal following' argument will only matter in the long run if the movie is a huge success, in the short term it is likely to drive the price up a good bit while the gamblers that are betting on that 'huge success' for later resell buy them up. I mean, who do you think is really buying this book after this news? Unlikely that it is members of that small, loyal following - if they didn't buy it at $700 why would they buy it at over $1000? I'm just speculating though, it'll be interesting to see what happens. When we hear a potential film budget we'll know a lot more.

I'm curious if the census numbers for a 9.8 #1 would ever see a significant bump.  Considering the low paper and ink quality, plus the dark mono-tone background color (especially along the spine), this is a hard book to keep mint when not tucked away in storage.

So, the invincible Lowest Print Run article from CBSI click here got me thinking about what the Top 5 most valuable books for the series, might be.   What are your thoughts of this list below?

Invincible #1 first print: First full appearance of Invincible and Omni-Man; low print run

Invincible Returns #1 B/W Variant: First appearance of Thragg; 1:50 variant; 398 copies

Noble Causes: Family Secrets #3A and 3B: First appearance of Invincible (cameo); low print run

Invincible #2: First appearance of Atom Eve and Teen Team; low print run

Invincible #5: First appearance of Allen the Alien; low print run

Also, does anyone know what the ratio was for the Noble Causes variant? 3B seems to command a higher price because Mark's on the cover, too.

I just picked up a nice copy of the Larry Comics #1 for cheap but don't know much about it.  Is the print run similar to the original?  Based on sales it's far less desirable but why is that true in today's variant world?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I just picked up a nice copy of the Larry Comics #1 for cheap but don't know much about it.  Is the print run similar to the original?  Based on sales it's far less desirable but why is that true in today's variant world?

here's a thread from this particular book. It's just like all the phantom variants, they haven't really held value but are cool in their own right.

I think a lot of Variant copy interest is from the alternate covers. This cover is almost exactly the same save for a couple minor differences.

Edited by GLCBrad