• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

Weird run in the last 12 hours on the Larry’s Comics #1 cover hm

12 lots sold on eBay in that timeframe when there was almost no activity on this book for quite a while before that.

Any idea what gives? Do you think this was a result of the animation casting news?

39 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

12 lots sold on eBay in that timeframe when there was almost no activity on this book for quite a while before that.

Any idea what gives? Do you think this was a result of the animation casting news?

That is strange.  I'd guess its because the original #1 is so pricey that one guy or maybe a bunch of people are seeing it as undervalued. 

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:
4 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

That is strange.  I'd guess its because the original #1 is so pricey that one guy or maybe a bunch of people are seeing it as undervalued. 

The problem with Larry's Limited Edition is that no one (besides Larry) knows how long they can be sold easily in large quantities.  The "unknown" of whether Larry's copies are going to be available forever has been keeping the price low... forever.  In 2011 he said that 1,600 copies were printed and that he got stuck with 1,500 copies after a convention flopped and he didn't get it given away for free.  He said he sold them in 10-packs (with large quantities going to CGC board members) and that he still had 650 left at the time (2011).  So, combined with not knowing how many are left, or how many could show up any moment due to various boardies having big quantities, there's the initial concept that it was supposed to be a free comic... and people don't like paying for things that used to be free. :preach:  "Back in my day, you could just ask Larry for a copy and he'd give it to you'uns."

Edited by valiantman

28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The problem with Larry's Limited Edition is that no one (besides Larry) knows how long they can be sold easily in large quantities.  The "unknown" of whether Larry's copies are going to be available forever has been keeping the price low... forever.  In 2011 he said that 1,600 copies were printed and that he got stuck with 1,500 copies after a convention flopped and he didn't get it given away for free.  He said he sold them in 10-packs (with large quantities going to CGC board members) and that he still had 650 left at the time (2011).  So, combined with not knowing how many are left, or how many could show up any moment due to various boardies having big quantities, there's the initial concept that it was supposed to be a free comic... and people don't like paying for things that used to be free. :preach:  "Back in my day, you could just ask Larry for a copy and he'd give it to you'uns."

Super interesting 

This is great insight

2 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

Super interesting 

This is great insight

Thanks!  

Larry's Limited Edition Invincible #1 is really the case study for retailer exclusives, since it is known to be around 1/6th the print run (rarer) than the regular Invincible #1... but it has extremely poor distribution vs. a regularly-released comic book.  The rarity of the book should demand a higher price, but it doesn't.  There's both the distribution problem and the "Who is Larry?" problem.  Retailer exclusives (not retailer incentives available to all, the exclusives only available to one shop/owner) have a fundamental flaw if collectors don't associate with the person/place/convention for which they're made.  It's rarer, for sure.  It's not distributed well, for sure.  But it's also Larry's Limited Edition, printed right on the cover... it's Larry's.  It's almost like having an autographed book made out to someone you don't know.  "To Larry, Excelsior!  Stan Lee"  

Who is Larry? :grin:

Back in the early 2000s I was surprised to see this and Ultimate Spider-Man #1 which were $3 heat up all the way to a $100 comic. That's crazy for a new modern recent release I thought. After having none, back in 2017 I got four #1s within the same span. One for 50 cents, couple for $40ish, and the 9.8 SS was $300 and reholdered.. met Kirkman while at a shop and I happened to be in the Invincible section. I was actually super lucky to get 1-11 for 50 cents at an estate sale- the same one where I found my 2nd copy..

IMG_5541.JPG.6854c350663ca47ba898d086c89

IMG_3156.JPG.fff60f3fc49f88bc599a9c1f025

Edited by littledoom

Those will sell fast.

I cant keep any Invincible very long in my ebay store under issue 20.

I just found the Williams Variant for the 50th issue that I had never seen before.

Do yourself a favor and read them. The first 20 issues are the some of the best
superhero books in the last 20+ years.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Those will sell fast.

I cant keep any Invincible very long in my ebay store under issue 20.

I just found the Williams Variant for the 50th issue that I had never seen before.

Do yourself a favor and read them. The first 20 issues are the some of the best
superhero books in the last 20+ years.

Read the whole run. The Conquest stuff is so epic. Then you get to Thragg. And then Robot. So damn good.

4 hours ago, ItsJustRyan said:

Read the whole run. The Conquest stuff is so epic. Then you get to Thragg. And then Robot. So damn good.

The title is so good. 

People will slap themselves when they could have bought fro pennies. 

Patrick

On 5/24/2020 at 1:14 AM, followtheleader said:

The title is so good. 

People will slap themselves when they could have bought fro pennies. 

Patrick

I'm still hording this series like a mo fo.  I've got two complete high grade sets and 2 CGC 9.8s of 1 & 2.  I like hording books that really resonated with me - FF Annual 6 worked out great - Micronauts 1 is still up in the air - Locke and Key and Preacher not so much.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, atrocitus said:

It was a give away for the 10th or 15 anniversary of the book was what I was told. 

That's awesome to see! For Skybound's 5th anniversary we hid golden tickets in our SDCC Box Sets. I tracked down and bought 1st prints of a bunch of our 1st issues to include in there. We worked with CGC to make some custom labels for them, which we had Robert sign. 

-Shawn

33 minutes ago, bigclutch said:

That's awesome to see! For Skybound's 5th anniversary we hid golden tickets in our SDCC Box Sets. I tracked down and bought 1st prints of a bunch of our 1st issues to include in there. We worked with CGC to make some custom labels for them, which we had Robert sign. 

-Shawn

I told you I would get that book Shawn! 💪

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm still hording this series like a mo fo.  I've got two complete high grade sets and 2 CGC 9.8s of 1 & 2.  I like hording books that really resonated with me - FF Annual 6 worked out great - Micronauts 1 is still up in the air - Locke and Key and Preacher not so much.

Its not a bad investment cheap. These books have gone up and down several times. Years ago I was getting close to $50-100 raw for 11 and 12.

The growth I have seen is 13 to around mid 20s currently. 

Some of the variants of 50, 75, and 100 are good as well due to low print rusn.