• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,297 posts in this topic

With the rare exception most of the books that sell well (its relative) are older books. I don’t think many of his new variants catch fire like say Campbell. Then again he isn’t putting 4 new covers every month in Destinys child poses either 

53 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

With the rare exception most of the books that sell well (its relative) are older books. I don’t think many of his new variants catch fire like say Campbell. Then again he isn’t putting 4 new covers every month in Destinys child poses either 

He's just looking for someone to pay his bills...

1 hour ago, Brock said:

This is me, too... I remember when I would scour the bins for dollar books like Catwoman, Wonder Woman and Zatanna with AH covers. When those dried up, I moved on to things like Serenity, Rose and Thorn, and Tomb Raider, then Lady Rawhide, Vampi, and Légionnaires. Now it's Maze Agency, Valor and Classic X-men. These have all pretty much dried up, and even the drekkiest is $80-$100 stabbed in 9.8. Will this spread as far as Justice League? Hard to say, but nothing with AH surprises me anymore.

Yeah, those were great times, pulling those Catwoman and Wonder Woman books from the bins (along with Bolland WW's as well!) Heck, I was still able to find them in dollar bins as recently as 3 years ago or so. But word got out and now it's all over. I'm surprised that JLI doesn't fare better. It's one of the all time great superhero comic runs (1-60, Giffen/DeMatteis Bwa ha ha League) and the covers are just great. I used to own a couple of the originals as well, probably shoulda kept them. :( 

1 hour ago, Brock said:

This is me, too... I remember when I would scour the bins for dollar books like Catwoman, Wonder Woman and Zatanna with AH covers. When those dried up, I moved on to things like Serenity, Rose and Thorn, and Tomb Raider, then Lady Rawhide, Vampi, and Légionnaires. Now it's Maze Agency, Valor and Classic X-men. These have all pretty much dried up, and even the drekkiest is $80-$100 stabbed in 9.8. Will this spread as far as Justice League? Hard to say, but nothing with AH surprises me anymore.

Oh, yes, and Valor! Man, if that book ever pops, is my ship coming in! I have so many of them...ugh...

Hi guys, looking for your input if you don't mind.  I'm a big Hughes fan and have been considering picking up some of his sketch books.  However, i've found in the past that artist's self-published sketch books can vary greatly in content and quality.  Anybody here have any of the Hughes sb's? Are they good value or should I pass?  Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Whizzer said:

Hi guys, looking for your input if you don't mind.  I'm a big Hughes fan and have been considering picking up some of his sketch books.  However, i've found in the past that artist's self-published sketch books can vary greatly in content and quality.  Anybody here have any of the Hughes sb's? Are they good value or should I pass?  Thanks in advance. 

I collect them. Can't say whether they're a good value, since that requires knowing the price. I've never paid anything exorbitant. And some of them have fun/cool surprises--most of his cover to Spider-Gwen 1, for instance, shows up in an earlier sketchbook. My advice: Hunt and research before you buy.

5 hours ago, Whizzer said:

I only have one so I can't compare between them, but I enjoyed it if that helps? The one that I have is "Greatest Hits" where it crosses out titse and says hits instead. 

18 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I only have one so I can't compare between them, but I enjoyed it if that helps? The one that I have is "Greatest Hits" where it crosses out titse and says hits instead. 

Ok thanks.  I'll pick a couple up and take it from there.

17 hours ago, Dmac538 said:

Mister Miracle # 19.jpg

This is Hughes' first DC work:

s-l1600.jpg

Hughes had an entire run of JLI before that Mister Miracle was published.

MM #19 may be the first work he was paid to do, but since when has unpublished inventory work ever counted? Historically, traditionally, it is published work that counts. "1st DC work by Hughes"...published almost a year AFTER his first PUBLISHED work...is confusing and contradictory.

Publication has been the standard for determining what comes when. Otherwise, we can start calling sketchbooks and doodles "first so and so work."

On 5/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, Dmac538 said:

I am only stating what I was told by Adam at ECCC when he signed the book. It is also listed in Wikipedia as his first work at DC.

Wikipedia aside (which is meaningless), I acknowledge all of that, and that is not in dispute. Yes, it was the first work at DC for which Adam was paid, but it was unpublished inventory work. If it's not published for a year after it's done, then it's not really his "1st DC work." 

Think about it: the label says "1st DC work by Adam Hughes."

But the book is dated 9/90. 

I have JLA #31, which is dated 10/89.

Chronologically, there are nearly a dozen Hughes issues that were published before MM #19. 

Do you see where the confusion could originate...?

It's a bad label note, especially in the era where people worship label notes. Historically...traditionally...it is publication which has been the delineating line between "what is first."

If Herb had done an inventory cover for Hulk that featured Wolverine, and that was the first time Herb had drawn Wolverine for which he was paid, and they published that cover as, say, Hulk #190....would that mean Hulk #190 would be Wolvie's first appearance?

No.