• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,296 posts in this topic

I was fortunate to look/buy before the semi-recent AH craze really hit. 

For me, I found Catwoman 70 to be the toughest to find.  

Much harder than Catwoman 51 or even Zatanna 16.  

Catwoman 74 wasn't very common either.   A few of the Catwoman and Zatanna issues ended up being very easy to find (like Catwoman 50 w/ Zatanna and even Zatanna 15).   There was a point i left quite a few Zatanna issues as no one was buying and I already quite a few (slap me head now).

Curious if others had a similar experience or found others issues harder to find. Could have just been luck getting them early. 

Patrick

On 10/29/2020 at 9:22 PM, Wolverinex said:

Seems like AH covers are dropping a bit recently so I'm thinking about picking up a few more.  

still worth it to send my legion 23 in? i think its a good 9.6-9.8

14 hours ago, the blob said:

still worth it to send my legion 23 in? i think its a good 9.6-9.8

Yes, I think so. Especially if it gets the 9.8 and you ever want to sell. On the flip side, that book sure does look good in fresh Mylar. You win either way just having one. 

2 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

Yes, I think so. Especially if it gets the 9.8 and you ever want to sell. On the flip side, that book sure does look good in fresh Mylar. You win either way just having one. 

I find it amazing it wound up in my shop's 15 for $10 box, along with the Black Adam 1 variant. I have little doubt he had them out for whatever the original price was, $10 or whatever, and when they did not sell after a few months he just said "F-it" and tossed them in the blow out box.

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

I find it amazing it wound up in my shop's 15 for $10 box, along with the Black Adam 1 variant. I have little doubt he had them out for whatever the original price was, $10 or whatever, and when they did not sell after a few months he just said "F-it" and tossed them in the blow out box.

donations! haha, charity starts at El Casa lol but good for you that you found it! :shy: 

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

donations! haha, charity starts at El Casa lol but good for you that you found it! :shy: 

there's plenty of stuff I fished out of those boxes that is worth what I paid for them. maybe less. i am coming to that conclusion as I try to organize my collection. My purchases at shows are usually better thought out winners than my compulsive purchases at my local shop trying to fish out the best 15 books in the bargain bin for my $10.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

there's plenty of stuff I fished out of those boxes that is worth what I paid for them. maybe less. i am coming to that conclusion as I try to organize my collection. My purchases at shows are usually better thought out winners than my compulsive purchases at my local shop trying to fish out the best 15 books in the bargain bin for my $10.

Right place right time. Still sounds like a hunt :) even if it kind of seems like luck, I'm sure it's a lot of work. Man I've had some finds yet, it's nice to appreciate it. Got pics handy? still yes I agree planned purchase can be the same if not more rewarding than the hunt. BOTH are THRILLs. and further both have their merit. Man I just want to get out today but it's time and waiting for things to open etc. not so broke to go $1 bin diving and that's the fun of my hunt ha.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Right place right time. Still sounds like a hunt :) even if it kind of seems like luck, I'm sure it's a lot of work. Man I've had some finds yet, it's nice to appreciate it. Got pics handy? still yes I agree planned purchase can be the same if not more rewarding than the hunt. BOTH are THRILLs. and further both have their merit. Man I just want to get out today but it's time and waiting for things to open etc. not so broke to go $1 bin diving and that's the fun of my hunt ha.

I posted it on page 19 of the adventures in the dollar box thread along with the Black Adam.. was pontificating then and now about slabbing it... you reacted then and now.....

20191019_154615_HDR.jpg

34 minutes ago, the blob said:

I posted it on page 19 of the adventures in the dollar box thread along with the Black Adam.. was pontificating then and now about slabbing it... you reacted then and now.....

20191019_154615_HDR.jpg

ah a sweet piece :) thanks for posting, I'll probably react again when slabbed lol it's one of those that needs love and care, I'm sure your over the moon :whee: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/6/2021 at 11:02 PM, followtheleader said:

Catwoman 74 wasn't very common either.   A few of the Catwoman and Zatanna issues ended up being very easy to find (like Catwoman 50 w/ Zatanna and even Zatanna 15).   There was a point i left quite a few Zatanna issues as no one was buying and I already quite a few (slap me head now).

Curious if others had a similar experience or found others issues harder to find. Could have just been luck getting them early. 

Patrick

Why is 70 hard to find (other than the many copies on ebay?). He had been doing the covers for like 3 years then, you'd think people would be socking them away. There are nearly 100 CGC 9.8s. It is a great cover, don't get me wrong. Do you mean finding in cheap boxes in the wild? Yeah, I can see that, it would have jumped out on the rack and not wound up in overstock, I'd think (you'd say the same about Tec 880, yet I did..)

Seems to me some of these have cooled off a bit. Maybe time for me to buy!

I have a question, I don't own the book (yet), but is the Catwoman pictured on the cover Selina or someone who has been working in her place? (I read the description on MCS and it sounds like someone other than Selina was catwoman at the time?). Anyway, this is one of my favorite covers of his .. yes, not a cleavage pic, it isn't always about the cleavage...

Catwoman #56

Just now, the blob said:

I have a question, I don't own the book (yet), but is the Catwoman pictured on the cover Selina or someone who has been working in her place? (I read the description on MCS and it sounds like someone other than Selina was catwoman at the time?). Anyway, this is one of my favorite covers of his .. yes, not a cleavage pic, it isn't always about the cleavage...

Catwoman #56

That's disappointing. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, followtheleader said:

Patrick

I'm trying to find Zatanna 15 in 9.8 at a not insane price.  Any one have any leads?