• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,296 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I like the vulnerability. Who is she supposed to be looking at? This is Hughes being more creative than just sticking some cleavage in our face.

I was just having some fun on a cold, winter day.

18 minutes ago, piper said:

I'm trying to find Zatanna 15 in 9.8 at a not insane price.  Any one have any leads?

What is insane? $300? 

Understand the black cover makes it hard (though there are 50 something on the census), but Hughes was already someone in 2011, this wasn't his first Z cover, were folks not buying 50 copies of these because there wasn't cleavage? I understand catwoman 51, sort of, although he had been doing the covers for a bit maybe there wasn't that momentum yet?

I know I wasn't buying 50 copies (or any) even though I noticed the covers, i just figured they wouldn't pop due to speculation on them, but other people are usually more clever than I am about this stuff.

I just bought a catwoman 56 in 9.8. 9.8 moderns is not something I do, normally, this was an impulse buy, but I am very fond of the cover, don't want to spend $200-$300 on a 51, which is probably my favorite, and the price was pretty reasonable. it seems the market is not as fond of that cover as I am. no cleavage.

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Why is 70 hard to find (other than the many copies on ebay?). He had been doing the covers for like 3 years then, you'd think people would be socking them away. There are nearly 100 CGC 9.8s. It is a great cover, don't get me wrong. Do you mean finding in cheap boxes in the wild? Yeah, I can see that, it would have jumped out on the rack and not wound up in overstock, I'd think (you'd say the same about Tec 880, yet I did..)

Seems to me some of these have cooled off a bit. Maybe time for me to buy!

I was referring to my rate of find in the wild (including shops).  Price wasn't a factor (cheap or expensive).  Ebay was not included in that statement. 

I saw a TON of Catwoman books before it blew up.  Some issues were insanely common. 

Patrick 

3 hours ago, piper said:

I'm trying to find Zatanna 15 in 9.8 at a not insane price.  Any one have any leads?

Pretty sure mine are 9.8.  Just not sure I want to part w/ them yet. 

Zatanna has definitely been less available in my searches than most of his other works. 

Patrick 

46 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I was referring to my rate of find in the wild (including shops).  Price wasn't a factor (cheap or expensive).  Ebay was not included in that statement. 

I saw a TON of Catwoman books before it blew up.  Some issues were insanely common. 

Patrick 

this thread started in 2008, wasn't there a fair amount of simmering on his books for a while? He got the OPG cover a few years ago.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

this thread started in 2008, wasn't there a fair amount of simmering on his books for a while? He got the OPG cover a few years ago.

Definitely simmering for a long time.

He's always had some hardcore fans, but it hit overdrive for awhile. 

I agree w/ an earlier statement, it may be good to buy if you find cheap now.  Wouldn't take much to prop them up again (like another series).  Personally, I'd like to see a longer Zatanna series w/ all AH covers.  Or someone new like Black Canary.

Patrick

14 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Definitely simmering for a long time.

He's always had some hardcore fans, but it hit overdrive for awhile. 

I agree w/ an earlier statement, it may be good to buy if you find cheap now.  Wouldn't take much to prop them up again (like another series).  Personally, I'd like to see a longer Zatanna series w/ all AH covers.  Or someone new like Black Canary.

Patrick

I bought 3 copies of 56 today. crazy. the price seemed right and it has been my second favorite.

16 minutes ago, the blob said:

I bought 3 copies of 56 today. crazy. the price seemed right and it has been my second favorite.

Very nice cover.  

I'm pretty partial to 46.  Tough black cover. 

There is a 2nd print red 53.  I don't see people post about it too often. 

49 can be very tough.  That white cover is always dirty.  I still don't have my "final" copy. 

74 is a big fan favorite.  It was going for some real dough for awhile. 

Patrick 

30 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Very nice cover.  

I'm pretty partial to 46.  Tough black cover. 

There is a 2nd print red 53.  I don't see people post about it too often. 

49 can be very tough.  That white cover is always dirty.  I still don't have my "final" copy. 

74 is a big fan favorite.  It was going for some real dough for awhile. 

Patrick 

I got a 46 too, just not a slab

I feel like 74 is just pushing the cleavage too hard. Not subtle.

I purchased the first 20 Hughes Catwoman covers off of the stands (because I was buying it before for reasons past understanding).  Shortly after 51 came out, Adam was kind enough to sign it at a local con (among others).  I thought it was pretty cool because of the Lost numbers and the iconic image and discussed that with him.  And then I purchased a few more copies for $5 each, sold them years later for 10x that.  Cool book, still have the signed copy by Adam.

But I don't remember almost anyone being into Catwoman at the time.  So a lot of those left over issues from the stands got processed into back issues and sat there for years.  I think that's why many saw them as common, not because of high print runs, but because of low demand.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
correction

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I purchased the first 20 Hughes Catwoman covers off of the stands (because I was buying it before for reasons past understanding).  Shortly after 51 came out, Adam was kind enough to sign it at a local con (among others).  I thought it was pretty cool because of the Lost numbers and the iconic image and discussed that with him.  And then I purchased a few more copies for $5 each, sold them years later for 10x that.  Cool book, still have the signed copy by Adam.

But I don't remember almost anyone being into Catwoman at the time.  So a lot of those left over issues from the stands got processed into back issues and sat there for years.  I think that's why many saw them as common, not because of high print runs, but because of low demand.  2c

Here is an article from 2016 talking about 51 as then being a $100 book (unclear if raw or 9.8, but as it also talks about 74 as being $10 not much earlier and now $50, I assume the $10 was not a CGC price (and the modest print runs of all of these hughes covers): https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/09/27/catwoman-vol-3-51/ ... so I guess this spike was about 5 years ago? Maybe around then more folks decided that a great cover in itself could make something a $100+ book, i dunno.