• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,297 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

Met Adam a couple months ago at fan expo and had him add a Gwen Stacy to my Spidey jam, still surprised he did it, he usually only does quick side profile sketches right? Was really disappointed when I found out about him increasing his commission rates, the artwork he is talking about that's selling for 3k hasn't actually sold though?

5a14a96dd95ef_image(1).png.662a1bad259c83d779b34a2bc81faa2f.png

I dig!! That's an awesome dedication ^^

9 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

Met Adam a couple months ago at fan expo and had him add a Gwen Stacy to my Spidey jam, still surprised he did it, he usually only does quick side profile sketches right? Was really disappointed when I found out about him increasing his commission rates, the artwork he is talking about that's selling for 3k hasn't actually sold though?

It hasn't sold for the 3k, and maybe never will.  If even I won't pay 3k...

On 11/21/2017 at 5:32 PM, Canadiancomics said:

5a14a9419db3b_image(4).thumb.jpeg.b588fefcb4412b8514df30cf5ffbacc4.jpeg

5a14a9581baca_image(5).thumb.jpeg.5cb3db416d50d695f6a1f73dc17a67b2.jpeg

5a14a96dd95ef_image(1).png.662a1bad259c83d779b34a2bc81faa2f.png

(worship)

What are your thoughts on the staying power of Hughes covers? I'll check eBay from time to time, focusing on 9.8 sales, and it seems like prices for his books are inching up pretty consistently. There are still random price points, where you'll see the same issue sell for $40 on month and $90 the next. But overall, the prices for random issues are higher than they were several years ago, and the bigger covers (i.e. the ones with cleavage) seem to be commanding good money (or at least, their asking prices seem strong). 

Think his prices will even out or drop some as the completists secure their want lists, or will we continue to see prices move up as more Hughes collectors try to collect 'em all?

He is definitely one of the consistent ones who has covers that perform well. But, there are some covers that go up and down. The Harley #1 he did hit a high and then has come back down quite a bit. So, there are some consistent ones that inch up, but there are ones that are hovering around the same price and ones that fluctuate. He is a good artist to bet on though compared to most others.

1 hour ago, Reno McCoy said:

What are your thoughts on the staying power of Hughes covers? I'll check eBay from time to time, focusing on 9.8 sales, and it seems like prices for his books are inching up pretty consistently. There are still random price points, where you'll see the same issue sell for $40 on month and $90 the next. But overall, the prices for random issues are higher than they were several years ago, and the bigger covers (i.e. the ones with cleavage) seem to be commanding good money (or at least, their asking prices seem strong). 

Think his prices will even out or drop some as the completists secure their want lists, or will we continue to see prices move up as more Hughes collectors try to collect 'em all?

I'm sticking with his blue chip ones like Supergirl Legion 23, etc

Personally hoping for a crash, so I can finish my set (again.) I had a more or less complete collection of all of his stuff, and this was back when you could find most of it in dollar bins. Sold it all when I sold my entire collection about 15 years ago or so. Got back into it a few years ago, and rebuilding hasn't been cheap! 

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Personally hoping for a crash, so I can finish my set (again.) I had a more or less complete collection of all of his stuff, and this was back when you could find most of it in dollar bins. Sold it all when I sold my entire collection about 15 years ago or so. Got back into it a few years ago, and rebuilding hasn't been cheap! 

This is similar to where I am. I sold my collection off before I moved, and have been collecting him again over the last couple of years, focusing on pre-slabbed 9.8. So it's been slow and costly. Now, however, I'm at a sort of crossroads. There's some expensive books out there, and I'm debating if my love for Hughes is more powerful than my love of having money in my pocket. :whatthe:

1 hour ago, Reno McCoy said:

This is similar to where I am. I sold my collection off before I moved, and have been collecting him again over the last couple of years, focusing on pre-slabbed 9.8. So it's been slow and costly. Now, however, I'm at a sort of crossroads. There's some expensive books out there, and I'm debating if my love for Hughes is more powerful than my love of having money in my pocket. :whatthe:

Wow, yeah, if you're chasing 9.8's, your wallet probably hates you! Ha  For my personal collection, I'm satisfied with raw NM books that present well, I'm not really worried about the nosebleed grades. But even raw, there are still some eye-popping prices on a few titles. I got lucky and managed to re-complete my WW and Catwoman runs for about a dollar each, but the variants are gonna be a pain. I got my original Supergirl/LoSH variant for cover price in my holds back when it came out. Coughing up a few hundred for it now is gonna sting...which is why I haven't done it yet!

If you want 9.8 on the cheap, look for raw NM and up on ebay or other places with high rez photos and just bargain shop/make offers. You can probably get great deals on some. Then, send for grading and possibly press first. I bet you end up with a lot of 9.8s. It might take you a while to find some books (Supergirl 23A for example), but you never know, it might save you some money.

I did this approach for a lot of Hughes books (and many other books in general) and was successful on many. 

42 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

If you want 9.8 on the cheap, look for raw NM and up on ebay or other places with high rez photos and just bargain shop/make offers. You can probably get great deals on some. Then, send for grading and possibly press first. I bet you end up with a lot of 9.8s. It might take you a while to find some books (Supergirl 23A for example), but you never know, it might save you some money.

I did this approach for a lot of Hughes books (and many other books in general) and was successful on many. 

In order to find Hughes books now, the big conventions are the way to go. In NYC at the con there were a bunch of Hughes, i was able to get some pretty fair prices for them. All the books have have been pressed, to assure higher grade, and most will be signed at ECCC in March.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, kevhtx said:

You know, I've tried eBay for NM+ copies, and man, even with big images and descriptions, I find that I'm unhappy with the final result. And while the graded books are certainly more expensive, I find that I'd rather buy the graded book and save my time. I used to enjoy tracking down comics, hitting comic shops, etc., but now, I'm finding that my time is better spent elsewhere. But, at the same time, I am itching to increase my number of raw Hughes comics, so maybe I'll dive in again. 

For my personal collection, I don't collect slabs. Slabs are just for stuff I plan on selling. A raw book around NM usually suits me fine. So, yeah, I'll just keep digging, and one day find the few issues I need at a price I want to pay. In the meantime, I still buy every $1 AH book i run across (which means I'm well stocked on Valor! :cough:)

30 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

For my personal collection, I don't collect slabs. Slabs are just for stuff I plan on selling. A raw book around NM usually suits me fine. So, yeah, I'll just keep digging, and one day find the few issues I need at a price I want to pay. In the meantime, I still buy every $1 AH book i run across (which means I'm well stocked on Valor! :cough:)

If you've got extras of anything, let me know. I'm finally getting to the point in which I want to be organized. Maybe you can help fill in some gaps. :)

On 1/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, Reno McCoy said:

If you've got extras of anything, let me know. I'm finally getting to the point in which I want to be organized. Maybe you can help fill in some gaps. :)

Well, I'm a bit of a hoarder on this stuff, but if I decide to let some shake loose, I'll let you know!

On 1/19/2018 at 4:18 PM, Reno McCoy said:

You know, I've tried eBay for NM+ copies, and man, even with big images and descriptions, I find that I'm unhappy with the final result. And while the graded books are certainly more expensive, I find that I'd rather buy the graded book and save my time. I used to enjoy tracking down comics, hitting comic shops, etc., but now, I'm finding that my time is better spent elsewhere. But, at the same time, I am itching to increase my number of raw Hughes comics, so maybe I'll dive in again. 

Couldn't agree more on this one. I have not had a good run as of late regarding the quality of the books I purchased on eBay. Lots of them have small dings and imperfections that were near impossible to see in the pictures. Most would likely score in the 9.4-9.6 range if I sent them in. I guess it just depends on how much spare cash you have and how important certain books are to your collection. Personally, Hughes is pretty high up on my ladder in regards to artists I really like so I am always looking out for good deals on his books. I don't know how others go abut using eBay, but I do advanced searches and then bookmark them. That way I can check a lot of different artists on a regular basis fairly quickly.