• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last Galactus Story

41 posts in this topic

Sorry to necro bump, but holy spoon. What an incredible read! The ending described by JB, to be simply put, is perfect.

I'd love to see them do a collaboration and finish it. :sorry:

I ain't holding my breath.

This might be redundant but a wise person once said that if you have problems with one or two people, it might be them that are the problem, but if you have problems with a lot of people, it is probably you that is the problem.

Byrne seemingly had problems with almost everyone he worked with.

'nuff said.

Found this on Wikipedia regarding John Byrne:

Controversies[edit]

Over the years, Byrne has gained a reputation as a controversial figure, and has himself noted that “as the people who have figured me out have said, I just don’t suffer fools gladly.”[60]

In 1981, Jack Kirby began speaking publicly about his belief that he'd been deprived of fair credit and money while creating the majority of Marvel's top characters. Byrne wrote an editorial declaring himself "proud" to be a "company man," and arguing that all creators should "live within the rules while they're around." Steve Gerber and Kirby lampooned Byrne's position in Destroyer Duck, drawing him as a character called Booster Cogburn, possessing a removable spine and existing only to serve as a cog in the mammoth corporation that owned him.[61] Erik Larsen created a villain in the 1990s for his Savage Dragon and Freak Force series, Johnny Redbeard/the Creator, who parodies Byrne; a massive cranium with atrophied appendages, he can bestow superpowers indiscriminately.[62]

In 1982, during a panel discussion at the Dallas Fantasy Fair, Byrne made unflattering comments about longtime comics writer and one-time Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Roy Thomas. After a transcript of the panel was published in The Comics Journal #75 (Sept. 1982), Thomas threatened a libel suit if Byrne did not apologize. In a letter printed in The Comics Journal #82 (July 1983), Byrne retracted his statements, claiming he was only repeating information from others, writing, “I acted only in the office of a parrot." Commentators have noted that Byrne’s opinions have led to disputes with Peter David,[63] Jim Shooter, Joe Quesada, Mark Evanier, Marv Wolfman,[64] and Larsen.[64]

Gail Simone, who worked with Byrne on The All New Atom in 2006, described Byrne as "very opinionated; a lot of artists are opinionated, and I'm okay with that. Actually, I think John Byrne is brilliant and his forceful personality is part of that."[65]

Just found this thread

Great ending!!!!!

It fits with what I have read before that Galactus was a critical part of the universe, and for that reason cannot(should not that is) be destroyed.

That ending explains why he was so important to the continuation of the universe.

The story (without the ending of course) is reprinted in the John Byrne Fantastic Four volume 2 omnibus. Yup, it is a expensive way to read it reprinted but the rest of the omnibus is great too!

Sweet I won that...but I'm still on the first omnibus and I don't mean the first Byrne one.