• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

I have keeping up to date in my reading of the ARAH GI Joe series and I was wondering what other collectors and forum members see the value and availability of issue #246  being in the next few months.  

40 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

I have keeping up to date in my reading of the ARAH GI Joe series and I was wondering what other collectors and forum members see the value and availability of issue #246  being in the next few months.  

The value will approach cover price or less. The availability will not be an issue. The eye of sauron managed to spot this book before foc and at least 3 retailers did exclusive covers for it, which means the print run is significantly higher than the previous issues. That will be more than enough to offset any artificial surge in demand from speculators, who would rather not be putting their money into a property like GI Joe anyway, as there is never sustained outside interest in the latest ongoing series. Also, as is typically the case with GI Joe, issues 246 isn't a definitive first appearance. 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:50 PM, Mickey7 said:

Anyone else grow up with GI Joe in the early/mid 1980's?   I almost forgot all about Star Wars during that time frame, as GI Joe really took over my interests.   It seemed like most of the boys in my grade school were hooked on GI Joe as well as it was a real phenomenon at that time. 

Between the awesome toys & toy box artwork, comic books, & cartoons it probably is my best memory of being a kid around that time frame.  My question is, if you could pick only one (toys, comic, or cartoon) what was you favorite back then?  Tough call.  hm  Though I loved the comics & cartoon, I'd say the toys stimulated my imagination and brought me a lot of enjoyment. 

Gi Joe toys were really good! really complex & well made! it was a great trifecta of toys, comics, & cartoon! 

Cool sketches, it's great that Hama does so much for the fans, and I love that focus! I agree that the Cobra guys (and gal) were really one of the wonderful parts of GI Joe. I vividly remember when those 3rd series guys hit with Scrap Iron, Firefly, Wild Weasel and Storm Shadow, I was absolutely floored with how cool they were. They're also one of the reasons the comics in the 20's are such a sweet spot for me. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Eels and Snow Serpent just upped the ante the following year (and all the figs came with more accessories than I'd ever thought possible with a figure). The HISS Tank driver was another favorite -- both the vehicle and figure were so unique and fascinating to me as a child!

Guess one above I attached is a type 1a.  Never really thought about it while buying the books and just filling the holes regardless if they american or canadian newstand.

Edited by whisp

On 2/4/2018 at 7:52 AM, whisp said:

Guess one above I attached is a type 1a.  Never really thought about it while buying the books and just filling the holes regardless if they american or canadian newstand.

Beautiful book sir.

If anyone has a copy of 21 with 75 cents in the cover they are willing to sell/trade, I’m looking for one.

This may be the only one of these out there... a G.I. Joe mystery for this group to solve.  Can anyone out there tell me who signed this book and why?  There's actually a story behind this that Joe fans may find interesting.  I'll see if anyone can figure it out first and if not, I'll reveal...  HINT: There are clues in the IDW run...

G_I_Joe1_Beto.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, comiconxion said:

That's what I first thought, but the obvious isn't always the answer... keep up the detective work!

Well, since there hasn't been much movement on this thread, I thought I'd post the 2nd clue I stumbled upon - the cover to G.I. Joe #169... any more guesses?

GI_Joe169_Cover_Cropped.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

My guess is Trimpe. 

Someone probably guessed his full name was Humberto.  Beto is a common shortened version of that.  So it's a funny nickname. 

Patrick

You are correct!  Herb was on vacation and someone started calling him Beto as a nickname.   He liked it so he started using it "officially" for a short period of time.  You'll see a few Joe covers around this period all signed with the name "Beto" - well, that's actually Herb.  I'd never seen another comic signed like this however.  But, it came from Herb's personal collection so I know it's legit.  Anyone else get a Beto signed Joe comic?  

10 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

You are correct!  Herb was on vacation and someone started calling him Beto as a nickname.   He liked it so he started using it "officially" for a short period of time.  You'll see a few Joe covers around this period all signed with the name "Beto" - well, that's actually Herb.  I'd never seen another comic signed like this however.  But, it came from Herb's personal collection so I know it's legit.  Anyone else get a Beto signed Joe comic?  

Thought for sure there would be a response like "That's the dumbest guess I've ever heard".  

Patrick