• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, Knightsofold said:

Does anyone know which books (and their printings) were made available in 3 packs (multi-packs)?

From what I recall getting:

21,22, 23 1st printing pack

2, 26, 27 2nd printing pack

17, 18, 19 2nd printing pack

10, 29, 30 2nd printing (not sure if this was a pack of only joes)

28?? Not sure.  

Thanks

3, 4 & 5 - this was the first pack made available - 2nd printings, but not labeled inside (but have ad for G.I. Joe #11 inside)

I believe 7, 29, and 36 were packed together as 2nd printings 

Don't remember a 28 reprint.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:04 AM, GeneticNinja said:

Look who decided to finally show up.

1769792837_SnakeEyesPicture.jpg.1c0ab7b8e3fe6ae92fc9aa1c13409053.jpg

I posted about him in the Figure topic.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/391856-this-week-in-your-plastic-crack-action-figures-and-toy-collection/page/123/

That looks great.

Side note:  Not sure why it is, but I feel like Snake Eyes should not have the Arashikage symbol on his outfit.  This was done in the movies too.  Just my own little issue. :)

21 hours ago, Capn17 said:

That looks great.

Side note:  Not sure why it is, but I feel like Snake Eyes should not have the Arashikage symbol on his outfit.  This was done in the movies too.  Just my own little issue. :)

Don't see what the issue is.  He is part of the clan.  As early as issue 21 he is shown with the tattoo on his arm like Storm Shadow.  Also the timeline matches up for that statue style.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:17 PM, comiconxion said:

3, 4 & 5 - this was the first pack made available - 2nd printings, but not labeled inside (but have ad for G.I. Joe #11 inside)

I believe 7, 29, and 36 were packed together as 2nd printings 

Don't remember a 28 reprint.

There isn't a 28 reprint.

55 minutes ago, whisp said:

Don't see what the issue is.  He is part of the clan.  As early as issue 21 he is shown with the tattoo on his arm like Storm Shadow.  Also the timeline matches up for that statue style.

I don't have a problem with him HAVING the tattoo.  The problem, and again it's my own personal opinion/issue, is that it isn't something that was ever flaunted out in the open on clothing or swords (at least in the early Marvel comic books).  It was a special moment to see the reveal that both he and Storm Shadow had a similar tattoo on their respective wrists (of which both were/are covered).  

10 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

I don't have a problem with him HAVING the tattoo.  The problem, and again it's my own personal opinion/issue, is that it isn't something that was ever flaunted out in the open on clothing or swords (at least in the early Marvel comic books).  It was a special moment to see the reveal that both he and Storm Shadow had a similar tattoo on their respective wrists (of which both were/are covered).  

/shrug

4 hours ago, BrooksR said:

My number 1 has a different paper quality (thicker, glossier) than the rest of the issues (which had the standard 80’s newsprinty kind of paper). Did all the number ones come that way?

If I remember correctly issue #1 was printed on Baxter paper. The other issues were printed like you stated. 

On 6/7/2019 at 3:19 AM, Lobo1969 said:

This book sold on Comic link recently. I posted this in the Comiclink 2019 thread but I wanted 'Joe fans to be aware of it, in case it hits the market again... 

Looks like CGC wants us to guess the printing!

RADB96D0201952_161642.jpg

It’s a first print.

3 hours ago, Parabellum said:

It’s a first print.

No chance that's a 1st printing - not with a modified newsstand price box and a direct sales Black Spidey head.  The correct direct sales Spidey head is the webbed one with the Marvel "M" direct sales price box.  That's a 3rd printing!

7 hours ago, comiconxion said:

No chance that's a 1st printing - not with a modified newsstand price box and a direct sales Black Spidey head.  The correct direct sales Spidey head is the webbed one with the Marvel "M" direct sales price box.  That's a 3rd printing!

Thx man, my mind must have been somewhere else.

Interesting to have watched over the last few years issue #21 go from hot , hotter,  hottest issue of all time.  I have not seen anyone in this thread make a prediction as to whether it will continue on its stellar trajectory or flatten out at some point.  With none of the  typical external

forces driving up demand for the book it would seem that although there is and always will be a general interest in GI Joe, overall the fans most fond of the series would be the ones to determine its future desirability. Is there anyone here that might care to speculate on what sort of

dollar amounts the next 1 , 5 or 10 years might see the book reach? Is it possible a 9.8 might ever be a 5 figure book in a copper age collectors life time? While I myself might see some "loft" in the books selling price I cannot say I see any real artificial inflation of the books price

lately.

18 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Interesting to have watched over the last few years issue #21 go from hot , hotter,  hottest issue of all time. 

I remember when I was a kid in the 80’s and obsessed with all things joe issue 21 wasn’t a big deal. The big issues were 1, 2, 26, and 27, especially #2. It’s kind of surreal for me coming back to comics after 25 years that this issue is so expensive :whatthe:

19 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I remember when I was a kid in the 80’s and obsessed with all things joe issue 21 wasn’t a big deal. The big issues were 1, 2, 26, and 27, especially #2. It’s kind of surreal for me coming back to comics after 25 years that this issue is so expensive :whatthe:

Peculiar I might add that the highest priced books from years ago are of seemingly no value now in comparison to issue #21.

I am talking multiple decimal point differences regardless of grade. 

It suggests to me that the buyers market has created the value more out Larry Hama's creative abilities than the material content.

I mean if you have "read" the story  , while it is good it is not the most intriguing story involving Snake eyes and storm shadow by far. So why the $$$$ in comparison o the other books?

The only other book in the ARAH series that might currently compare is issue #155.  The creative back story being that in both cases Hama was being pressed for time by Marvel.

That all makes little sense to me because at times Larry recently has caught some hate for his willingness to try new things. It would seem to me that the creators willingness to try new

ideas put him on the map in the first place and kept him there for 4 decades.

So all the while this book although as I said in my OP that there are no typical external force affecting the books selling price it slowly continues to take a up tick regularly. 

I personally cannot see this book ever coming back down in to the breathable atmosphere. Although I am still quite curious as to where this segment of the collecting community may take it

44 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Peculiar I might add that the highest priced books from years ago are of seemingly no value now in comparison to issue #21.

It suggests to me that the buyers market has created the value more out Larry Hama's creative abilities than the material content.

I mean if you have "read" the story  , while it is good it is not the most intriguing story involving Snake eyes and storm shadow by far. So why the $$$$ in comparison o the other books?

I thought the story in #2 was really good and combined with it's "scarcity" its being valueable made sense to me.  I remember it being like $40 back in the 80's, while #1 was $15-20.  Maybe because of their value everyone held onto them in good condition back then and there are fewer 21's out there still?  I don't know, I really don't get it.  What do you guys think?  When did this book take off and why?

5 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

The only other book in the ARAH series that might currently compare is issue #155.  The creative back story being that in both cases Hama was being pressed for time by Marvel.

That all makes little sense to me because at times Larry recently has caught some hate for his willingness to try new things. It would seem to me that the creators willingness to try new

ideas put him on the map in the first place and kept him there for 4 decades.

So all the while this book although as I said in my OP that there are no typical external force affecting the books selling price it slowly continues to take a up tick regularly. 

I personally cannot see this book ever coming back down in to the breathable atmosphere. Although I am still quite curious as to where this segment of the collecting community may take it

This book has gained classic status as the first ever 'silent issue' that has been copied many times over since. The silent issue transcends GI Joe lore and spills into all time comic history hi-lights. Combine it with a classic cover and intro of a major character and you have popular book.

2 hours ago, Lobo1969 said:

This book has gained classic status as the first ever 'silent issue' that has been copied many times over since. The silent issue transcends GI Joe lore and spills into all time comic history hi-lights. Combine it with a classic cover and intro of a major character and you have popular book.

I am not saying that I do not understand why it is such a popular book but rather what I did not understand is that Hama being such  a creator does not really deserve some of the hate he has gotten at times.  The comment I made with BrooksR is really just a tangent to

what I was originally asking.  I am  not taking a stance that the book is not worthy of it selling price either as I understand the basic factors of what makes a comic book valuable.

Really I am most  curious to hear  is  what those willing to pay for the book might someday see it reaching. If you have looked through this thread you might tend to agree I am in the right  spot to ask that.

7 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I thought the story in #2 was really good and combined with it's "scarcity" its being valueable made sense to me.  I remember it being like $40 back in the 80's, while #1 was $15-20.  Maybe because of their value everyone held onto them in good condition back then and there are fewer 21's out there still?  I don't know, I really don't get it.  What do you guys think?  When did this book take off and why?

To answer this question the short answer would be around 2006. The long answer would be buried in the annals of the CGC message board. 

13 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

To answer this question the short answer would be around 2006. The long answer would be buried in the annals of the CGC message board. 

Issue #21 took off because it seemingly took forever for a 9.8 copy of the book to be graded. Many people were searching for 9.8 candidates but they always fell short before CGC stopped being so tough when grading copies, and pressing came into the picture. 9.6 copies from 2003-2007 became 9.8 copies when resubmitted with no work done to the books. 

From 2003 on, the book was sought after. Bounties of $500 plus for a 9.8 graded copy were offered. Nothing like having the set of #1-30 complete in 9.8, except for issue #21. :censored: 

Add first appearance of Storm Shadow, add the first Joe movie, and the book took off. The fact that the book is now 35 years old doesn't hurt either.