• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Really I am most  curious to hear  is  what those willing to pay for the book might someday see it reaching. If you have looked through this thread you might tend to agree I am in the right  spot to ask that.

In that case it may creep back to $2000 IMO but not much more unless some new movies or streaming content get made. Some of the first 9.8 copies sold for around $2000 and that was peak for this book.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Lobo1969 said:

In that case it may creep back to $2000 IMO but not much more unless some new movies or streaming content get made. Some of the first 9.8 copies sold for around $2000 and that was peak for this book.

While I do not find this surprising I do find it interesting that some of the selling prices issue #21 has reached have not even put it in the Overstreet list of top 25 copper books. Some might call it a small segment of the collecting community but still the book is a unique piece of comic book history.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

So is 21 the only “key” joe issue now? I just bought one on eBay for $50.  A few weeks ago I got a really nice 26 for $3. That’s less than it would have cost me in the 80’s 🤷‍♂️

Looks that way. I've been tracking prices for a number of "commons" to complete a run of the first 50 issues (and 155, which I already have), and every issue except 1 and 21 is inexpensive, even in high grades. 

Only other exceptions that I'm aware of are the issues with low prints runs, like 2 and 150-155.

1 hour ago, whisp said:

Special #1 and the 3rd print of #63 are pricier books and sought after as well.

What is Special 1? Special Missions? I actually really liked that series. 

4 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

...every issue except 1 and 21 is inexpensive, even in high grades. 

Only other exceptions that I'm aware of are the issues with low prints runs, like 2 and 150-155.

I guess that’s good news if you want to buy them, although I am sad that gi joe doesn’t get more love from comic fans.

I’m having a hard time finding high grade common issues. For example I want a really nice 34 and 35 since those were the first issues I bought as a kid. Do any of you remember the tv commercial for 35? That’s the first time I ever saw a commercial for a comic. 

You would think that there would be a lot of high grades available since it was such a popular and collected title back in its day. 

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

I’m having a hard time finding high grade common issues. For example I want a really nice 34 and 35 since those were the first issues I bought as a kid. Do any of you remember the tv commercial for 35? That’s the first time I ever saw a commercial for a comic. 

You would think that there would be a lot of high grades available since it was such a popular and collected title back in its day. 

Are you looking for raw copies? Because CGC 9.6 or 9.8 copies for those 2 issues should be fairly easy to find.

1 hour ago, Lobo1969 said:

Are you looking for raw copies? Because CGC 9.6 or 9.8 copies for those 2 issues should be fairly easy to find.

I was hoping for raw copies thinking they would be more affordable. The few high grade cgc copies on ebay are in the $80 range which is too much for me ☹️

I picked up two different piles of GI Joes over the past week -- one a nearly complete run from 50 to 130 and the other a pile of issues from 115 to 140 -- and when I was rebagging/pricing them, I noticed this. It's an Australian priced copy. I assume there's plenty of them out there (just looking through the Australian Price Thread), but it's always strange to find them in Philadelphia.

Joe.jpg

On 7/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, Lobo1969 said:

This book has gained classic status as the first ever 'silent issue' that has been copied many times over since. The silent issue transcends GI Joe lore and spills into all time comic history hi-lights. Combine it with a classic cover and intro of a major character and you have popular book.

Less than 100 9.8s of an insanely popular book doesn’t hurt either.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, alexanderjk said:

First ever submissions to CGC. Bought the pair of #1s for $50 total, so totally jazzed about the grades. No pressing. Grader's note on #155 noted a small corner crease, but thrilled with the 9.6. Submitting a #21 next and hoping for another 9.6. :wishluck:

IMG_8024.thumb.JPG.0d1627a978c63a0a7864aee27b38d053.JPG

Wow! Those are awesome! (worship)