• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, jcronin said:

Just curious. Why are the newsstand GI Joe #21s listed for such high prices when the early 80s had no shortage of newsstand issues? 

They are still less common than the direct market ones and are typically harder to find in high grade...

23 hours ago, jcronin said:

Just curious. Why are the newsstand GI Joe #21s listed for such high prices when the early 80s had no shortage of newsstand issues? 

You’re correct, not the hardest book to find in newsstand. 9.8’s that get listed on eBay are around 1 out of 3 for a newsstand.

I like the 8.5 Canadian in auction right now. 

For those that don't normally check out Prop Store auctions... I wanted to draw Joe collectors attention to the G.I. Joe art offerings in the upcoming March 4th Toys, Comic Art & Collectibles auction.  Items include:

- Mike Vosburg's personal storyboard copies from his work on the 1980's Joe cartoons & a large Joe pin-up featuring Snake Eyes, Scarlett & Duke by Vosburg

- Original part pages from G.I. Joe ARAR #6, 22, 35 & 59 by Trimpe, Vosburg, Whigham & Wagner

- Lifeline pin-up from Order of Battle #1 by Herb Trimpe

- G.I. Joe TCG Cobra Commander Card art painting by Mike S. Miller & David Michael Beck

Check out the auction here https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/info/id/249/

Hello to all..

I didn't have these particular ones in my previous collection, but i had #21, and remember buying it at my LCS.

I've got these in my possession now, and if i remember correctly, the 9.2 is a first print like the 9.6. These are identical in each way. I've done research, and as i recall, 3rd print #21's have the black spidey head in the UPC area, and the reach for the stars 'blue' back cover with Cap as well. I'm 'assuming' that the 9.2 was mislabeled as a 3rd print. My question is how could this be labeled as a 3rd print book? Any help, and comments would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies if i posted this incorrectly in this thread as i didn't know where else to ask.

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

Scan Apr 4, 2020 at 17.04 page 2.jpg

Scan Apr 4, 2020 at 17.11 2.jpg

Edited by Ceito

On 4/4/2020 at 2:56 PM, Ceito said:

Hello to all..

I didn't have these particular ones in my previous collection, but i had #21, and remember buying it at my LCS.

I've got these in my possession now, and if i remember correctly, the 9.2 is a first print like the 9.6. These are identical in each way. I've done research, and as i recall, 3rd print #21's have the black spidey head in the UPC area, and the reach for the stars 'blue' back cover with Cap as well. I'm 'assuming' that the 9.2 was mislabeled as a 3rd print. My question is how could this be labeled as a 3rd print book? Any help, and comments would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies if i posted this incorrectly in this thread as i didn't know where else to ask.

I think you're right. Looks like it was mislabeled as a 3rd print. 

Hey guys.  Could use some Joe help here.  I tried looking for the Joe thread in Modern, but could not find it.  So forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong thread.

I’m trying to decide if this book is worth grading.  I believe it’s #34, Red Foil, Graham Cracker variant.  I understand it was limited to 1,000?🤔.  Anyway, I’d say it’s in 9.2-9.4.  Is it worth getting certified or signed?  

47813F8A-0CDF-4AA6-91FD-D5F093714A8A.thumb.jpeg.f52198cdd2aace3d9e5902031100da73.jpeg

Edited by Comixroc

3 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

If it were a 9.8 I would say it was worth it. As a 9.2 or 9.4 I don’t think it would be worth more than the cost of slabbing so unless demand sky rockets I would leave raw...2c

Thank you, my friend!  I really appreciate your input.

My random GI Joe thoughts:

#2 is my favorite in the series, always has been. After all these years it's still a great read. Glad I picked up a 9.8 years back.

I recall at a con I attended in the late 90's JHV had short box full of 1's for $2 each un-bagged. I picked up one of the copies I felt was in nicest condition. Had it slabbed in 2000, it received a 9.8 (old school label!) and have kicked myself in the arse ever since for not grabbing a few more that I thought were equal in grade to mine.

Edited by MAR1979

1 hour ago, MAR1979 said:

My random GI Joe thoughts:

#2 is my favorite in the series, always has been. After all these years it's still a great read. Glad I picked up a 9.8 years back.

I recall at a con I attended in the late 90's JHV had short box full of 1's for $2 each un-bagged. I picked up one of the copies I felt was in nicest condition. Had it slabbed in 2000, it received a 9.8 (old school label!) and have kicked myself in the arse ever since for not grabbing a few more that I thought were equal in grade to mine.

We can all kick ourselves in the arse for some comic book related coulda shoulda woulda moment!?!  :insane:doh!