• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, DELTA 62 said:

We can all kick ourselves in the arse for some comic book related coulda shoulda woulda moment!?!  :insane:doh!

Thanks man! 

The reason I posted to this topic is I started to read through my old Joe's this past week . #2 has no Cobra, tight scripting, and overall is probably the most "realistic" of any of the issues in the series or at least the first 60 issues that constitute my "era". Too bad that back in the day #2 allegedly suffered from "low distribution".  My opinion is more of case of #1 being printed in great numbers then many really liking the book and grabbing up #2. It was not until issue 4 that production caught up with the vast demand. As I recall #3 was somewhat also difficult to find in the 80's (was kid then so memories a bit hazy).  

Edited by MAR1979

17 hours ago, MAR1979 said:

My random GI Joe thoughts:

#2 is my favorite in the series, always has been. After all these years it's still a great read. Glad I picked up a 9.8 years back.

I recall at a con I attended in the late 90's JHV had short box full of 1's for $2 each un-bagged. I picked up one of the copies I felt was in nicest condition. Had it slabbed in 2000, it received a 9.8 (old school label!) and have kicked myself in the arse ever since for not grabbing a few more that I thought were equal in grade to mine.

2 is a great story, sooo much better than 1. Back in the 80’s it was the most valuable issue. I’m not sure why it lost its popularity.

1 for two dollars?! I had stopped collecting by the late 90’s but I’ve never seen one for less than ten.  Jealous! 🙂

On 4/27/2020 at 8:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

My random GI Joe thoughts:

#2 is my favorite in the series, always has been. After all these years it's still a great read. Glad I picked up a 9.8 years back.

I recall at a con I attended in the late 90's JHV had short box full of 1's for $2 each un-bagged. I picked up one of the copies I felt was in nicest condition. Had it slabbed in 2000, it received a 9.8 (old school label!) and have kicked myself in the arse ever since for not grabbing a few more that I thought were equal in grade to mine.

I had I believe a second print of #2. I think I had #1. But #2 was that rare issue that was expensive back then.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, Mendi1769 said:

My gi joe yellow labeled books

signed by voice actors, artists and Hama 

I put them with all my 80s gi joe figures, statues, etc

F34B224B-3B85-41AA-BC21-FCB1932B48E6.jpeg

Nice collection. Who made that Cobra Commander statue?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I found some leads which a few quick searches.

Edited by GeneticNinja

Although it's not a Copper Age GI Joe comic, I've been re-reading the Snake Eyes: Declassified story that Devil's Due put out.  I think it's a great story myself, and am wondering if people here consider it to be canon?  I really like the Trade ending where they connected a lot of the characters in Snake Eyes' life and gave updates on them.  What do you guys think?  :gossip:

On 5/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, OV said:

Although it's not a Copper Age GI Joe comic, I've been re-reading the Snake Eyes: Declassified story that Devil's Due put out.  I think it's a great story myself, and am wondering if people here consider it to be canon?  I really like the Trade ending where they connected a lot of the characters in Snake Eyes' life and gave updates on them.  What do you guys think?  :gossip:

Interesting question.

Although I personally consider only works by Larry Hama to be canon to the copper age ARAH  line it is really hard to say that this particular series from the DD line is not canon . The reason I say that it is, is because it does a very good job of "coloring inside the lines" as far as the Snake Eyes back story goes. DD does that to varying shades with the rest of the titles in their re-birthing of GI Joe but Snake Eyes :Declassified shines true in that regard. I have not read the trade paper back so I cannot speak to the continuity of that particular tale but if it follows suit I am sure it fits in just as well. 

Curios to hear if Hama himself has commented on the matter?

1 hour ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Interesting question.

Although I personally consider only works by Larry Hama to be canon to the copper age ARAH  line it is really hard to say that this particular series from the DD line is not canon . The reason I say that it is, is because it does a very good job of "coloring inside the lines" as far as the Snake Eyes back story goes. DD does that to varying shades with the rest of the titles in their re-birthing of GI Joe but Snake Eyes :Declassified shines true in that regard. I have not read the trade paper back so I cannot speak to the continuity of that particular tale but if it follows suit I am sure it fits in just as well. 

Curios to hear if Hama himself has commented on the matter?

Hama wrote an intro to this series where he basically said this series was part of the "official" origin of Snake Eyes.  I would consider this as his permission regarding the story, but I'm interested to hear what other Joe fans and readers think too.  Thanks! (thumbsu

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but which part of the run is considered the "essential" / best?

When I was a kid I remember watching the cartoon and reading 26-27, then a few scattered issues from 40-70.

I mostly passed on the later issues until the "Snake Eyes" story in 94-97.

Asking because 30 years later, I just received the trade of 1-10 and finished # 1. It had good and bad parts - but

1) The Trimpe art turned me off; and

2) Most of my favorite characters were missing.

Saw above that a lot of folks consider # 2 a high-point of the series. But what's considered the "best" part of the run?

1-30?

20-60?

1-9 were decent stand-alone stories. 10-19 is a good arc with memorable characters. 

But in my humble opinion, 21-50 jumps out in my mind as the "best". Silent Interlude, Storm Shadow, Zartan, the origin of Snake Eyes, Freds/Crimson Guard, Destro & Firefly, Ace vs Wild Weasel, Billy, Cobra Island, the Soft Master, the Pit, Springfield. And the most memorable Michael Golden and Michael Zeck covers. 

But even after, you can find some fun twists and turns. Cobra Civil War, Trucial Abysmia. And if you're really looking for fun, watch as Larry Hama is forced to weave some odd Hasbro toys into the narrative. Serpentor? Sure. Battleforce 2000? No problem. Python Patrol? Okee doke. DEF? Why not. Star Brigade? Ninja Force? Transformers Generation 2? Eco Force? LOL. 

Edited by eee91

I agree, 20-50 was my favorite period too, though I would include the 60s issues also. I liked the story line where Stalkers team was captured and snake eyes rescued them. I stopped reading as a kid somewhere around issue 86 I think, maybe I’ll try to catch up.

I think the special missions series is underrated. It focused more on military type missions and some lesser used characters like Recondo.