• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

(thumbs u Thanks fellas! I am trying to get some different style J :wishluck: oe sketches and hope to keep adding to the collection next year.

I've been wondering, what are your favorite artists from the original 155 Marvel issues? Let's list them by cover artist and interior artist! No limit to the number of artists. ;)

Mine:

Covers: Mike Zeck and Mike Golden

Interiors: M.D. Bright, Rod Whigham, and Steve Leialoha.

(thumbs u Thanks fellas! I am trying to get some different style J :wishluck: oe sketches and hope to keep adding to the collection next year.

I've been wondering, what are your favorite artists from the original 155 Marvel issues? Let's list them by cover artist and interior artist! No limit to the number of artists. ;)

Mine:

Covers: Mike Zeck and Mike Golden

Interiors: M.D. Bright, Rod Whigham, and Steve Leialoha.

I agree on the covers, although I'd add Trimpe for some very memorable covers - #1, #2, #6 & 7 most notably. Bob Hall's covers to #3 & 4 weren't bad either. And don't forget that memorable one-shot by Bob Camp - #11!

Interiors: Herb Trimpe designed the original look and did some fantastic (yet underappreciated) work on Special Missions, Mike Vosburg defined the book during its formative years that translated to the cartooons. And, don't forget Don Perlin who also blazed tails by drawing stories for #1, #2 and #5. Russ Heath drew a fantastic fill-in for issue #24 and also designed for the cartoon behind the scenes. Finally, don't forget Larry Hama who did the layouts for #21 and 26 as well as cover layouts for almost every issue.

Edited by comiconxion

If you hadn't checked out the Original Art Marketplace section lately, I wanted to call your attention to this Charity auction for a super rare G.I. Joe #200 Trimpe cover edition with a hand-drawn sketch by Mike Vosburg. This is the first one of these ever offered for public sale.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9782349#Post9782349

:headbang:Thanks for the link. I have been excited for this! I wonder what the mystery accessory will be? I will probably buy the unsigned figure in hopes of getting Larry to sign it in person one day, if he would ever come back to a west coast show. :wishluck:

Edited by Comic Book Guy

I missed them on eBay but there were a bunch of old Marvel pages listed.  There have been a few to pop up here and there in the last few months.  Hopefully people are cleaning out some of their closets and we will see more stuff become available again. I have not bought a Joe page since last October. 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:37 PM, Comic Book Guy said:

:headbang:Thanks for the link. I have been excited for this! I wonder what the mystery accessory will be? I will probably buy the unsigned figure in hopes of getting Larry to sign it in person one day, if he would ever come back to a west coast show. :wishluck:

I met him this weekend. He was not overly pleasant. I was warned ahead of time, but thought maybe he had a bad day at the other cons. Apparently, it's just his demeanor. It didn't matter if you were telling him GI Joe got you into the hobby that you continue 30 years later (me) or a guy telling him that he learned how to read from his stories in GI Joe, he had zero interest/reaction in the sentiment. I know he's heard it all a million times before, but come on.......

On a side note, IDW had show exclusive reprints of the Marvel #1 with homage covers by Neal Adams and Chris Giarusso and an original concept by Tommie Lee Edwards, each limited to 1000.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:24 PM, GeneticNinja said:

Anyone seen updates on that G.I. Joe Artist Edition that was supposed to come out last year? I was looking forward to that one.

Unfortunately, there's a chance that the Joe book may never come out - last I heard it was on hold.  I keep hoping that it'll get printed... but not sure there's as many fans out there for that book as other AEs.  

On 1/14/2017 at 5:45 PM, Apollo34 said:

Oh man the new IDW Gi Joe series is not what I expected. Not a fan, anyone else read it? Sticking to the old Marvel/IDW series.

No. I really like the new series and pretty much any comic that has G.I. Joe on it.

'One must open oneself to the state of "listening to wind and water".

Within the whisper of the wind, and the murmur of the water endeavor to discern between the false mind and the real mind.

But remember that your very mind is the mind that misleads your mind.'

Why?...Because of quotes like the one above.

I got this a few months back  and have been looking for the time to show it off. I am not much of an autograph seeker but there is a bit of a story to seeking out this particular book.

2j0ny28.jpg

29p28e8.jpg

I am actually quite proud to own this. 

On 3/20/2017 at 8:39 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I met him this weekend. He was not overly pleasant. I was warned ahead of time, but thought maybe he had a bad day at the other cons. Apparently, it's just his demeanor. It didn't matter if you were telling him GI Joe got you into the hobby that you continue 30 years later (me) or a guy telling him that he learned how to read from his stories in GI Joe, he had zero interest/reaction in the sentiment. I know he's heard it all a million times before, but come on.......

On a side note, IDW had show exclusive reprints of the Marvel #1 with homage covers by Neal Adams and Chris Giarusso and an original concept by Tommie Lee Edwards, each limited to 1000.

Sorry to hear that. What I don't get is why do these creators continue to do these shows if they find them not enjoyable?They can't be making a lot of money off these signing or are they?

I think John Byrne did it the right way when he stopped going to cons years ago because he admitted they were not enjoyable anymore.

From what I've seen / heard Larry mainly tries to do a few shows near where he lives and once in a while if a promoter wants to pay his way out of the region. I believe he still enjoys the fan interaction, but just has a very blunt manner about him. He is also hard of hearing, so at times it might appear as if he's ignoring you, but he actually can't hear you (for real). He seemed genuinely happy to meet my son dressed as Lil' Snake Eyes earlier this year at a very small show in NJ.

His convention sketches are super inexpensive and often come out quite well (though he has a very loose style). He's honest and that can come across as disarming to us fans. He explained to me and I've since read in interviews that GI Joe was not the preferred project for him to be known for (though I think he is quite grateful for it).

He always wanted to make cartoons of funny animals, think Daffy Duck.  One of his personal creations was Bucky O' Hare, which he handed over to Michael Golden for the art (he's a pretty humble dude and just felt like Mike's art was better than his). He just had his most success w/ GI Joe and it stuck...so he ran with it.  He never imagined it would last this long, but his attitude is...if we keep reading...he'll keep writing.  If your patient he can give you some cool stories about Golden and working along side of Neal Adams as an artist and editor.

I don't think his age has much to do with his perceived attitude at times.  I think Larry doesn't require allot of acclaim and kudos and simply calls 'em bluntly like he sees them.  Keep in mind this is the same dude that basically and unceremoniously fired McFarlane after one issue of GI Joe...just didn't think Todd's art lined up with the -script and that was it.

Hama and lil Snake Eyes.jpg