• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

Why is GI Joe Special #1 with the McFarlane Spidey 1 Cover homage such an expensive book in 9.8 - is it rare or limited Print run? Or is just a hot cover like Tec 880?

it is an awesome cover - it just seems very expensive relative to other GI Joe books. 

On 8/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, Chillax23 said:

Why is GI Joe Special #1 with the McFarlane Spidey 1 Cover homage such an expensive book in 9.8 - is it rare or limited Print run? Or is just a hot cover like Tec 880?

it is an awesome cover - it just seems very expensive relative to other GI Joe books. 

I believe it came out after the last issue with a relatively low print run. Possibly the 1st Spider-Man #1 McFarlane homage too? 

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

No wonder I can never find one.... let me know if you ever plan to sell 1.  I just want 1.  

Maybe. This is one book I'm having trouble parting with, it's a childhood grail for me. Thought the least I could do is share a pic for others to appreciate!

3 hours ago, Lobo1969 said:

Maybe. This is one book I'm having trouble parting with, it's a childhood grail for me. Thought the least I could do is share a pic for others to appreciate!

Is there a story behind why and how you have a horde of these?

2 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

Is there a story behind why and how you have a horde of these?

Yeah, if you know history of this book it wasn't too long ago that there was no 9.8s on the census. When the first 9.8 copies got graded they were selling well north of $2000 and let's just say I got my first copy for a pretty penny. There were maybe 5-6 copies available at the time. Since then, the census saw a small steady flow of 9.8s grow to over 80 books and prices dropped fairly dramatically up until maybe 2-4 years ago. So the remaining the 11 books that I got were purchased in the $300-$500 range but I doubt I'll ever buy another as current prices are above $1200. It's just one of those books for me that every collector has that you just can't help yourself at buying when the price is right no matter how many copies you have hoarded already.

57 minutes ago, Lobo1969 said:

Yeah, if you know history of this book it wasn't too long ago that there was no 9.8s on the census. When the first 9.8 copies got graded they were selling well north of $2000 and let's just say I got my first copy for a pretty penny. There were maybe 5-6 copies available at the time. Since then, the census saw a small steady flow of 9.8s grow to over 80 books and prices dropped fairly dramatically up until maybe 2-4 years ago. So the remaining the 11 books that I got were purchased in the $300-$500 range but I doubt I'll ever buy another as current prices are above $1200. It's just one of those books for me that every collector has that you just can't help yourself at buying when the price is right no matter how many copies you have hoarded already.

Yup I was one of those guys that paid just under $1k for my book and almost the next day there were many on the census and the price dropped by more than half. I am happy to see I’m not in the red anymore (if the latest sales are any indication)...

I can remember seeing loads of copies of this book rolled up in peoples’ back pockets at school and thinking how badly I wanted one...even though I had missed the boat on it already. I didn’t get my first near mint copy until at least ten years later... for whatever reason I had a really hard time getting a #2 and a #7 as well...

49 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

Interesting that none of the copies you have are newsstand editions.  Is there a difference in pricing for newsstand editions these days?

Newsstands in high grade would definitely carry a higher premium to the right buyer. Personally, for myself, I would still buy a nice 75 cent Canadian price "variant" because the very first copy I bought of #21 was brand new off the rack at a local pharmacy in Canada :)

Curious what a 9.4 or 9.6 cgc graded #21 75c Canadian one would go for.  I have been contemplating getting mine graded and think at the very least its a 9.4 but could get a 9.6.  That is to be conservative.  Its a pretty decent copy.

gijoe21cdn.jpg

Edited by whisp

4 hours ago, whisp said:

Curious what a 9.4 or 9.6 cgc graded #21 75c Canadian one would go for.  I have been contemplating getting mine graded and think at the very least its a 9.4 but could get a 9.6.  That is to be conservative.  Its a pretty decent copy.

Do it, get it graded. You won't have to wait long to sell :)

On 9/7/2018 at 9:52 AM, pubmonkey said:

9.4 Canuck version sold for $256 a year ago... 

Hmm not bad.  I know the variant lists was at $188 for it.  Paid I think like $30 for the book when I got it.

Anyways just need #129 and I have all 155 done so I will just keep on plugging away on completing this set.  :)

Edited by whisp