• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Thought for sure there would be a response like "That's the dumbest guess I've ever heard".  

Patrick

Yeah, for awhile when I saw those later G.I. Joe covers by Herb, I thought to myself, why is the guy from Love & Rockets inking Herb's work?  But figured maybe they started teaming up later in Herb's career.  Then, when I found this #1 comic, I knew there was more to the story.  Anyway, I helped shed some light for Joe fans on a little known mystery.

I have been on the lookout for Michael Turner signed gijoe books for a long time. There are quite a few CGC graded SS copies of the Renegar variant but none of the later issues (#33 foil and non foil excepted). I have been able to find the ones below but am not sure if Turner signed any others. Please post a pic if you have one. I am especially interested in finding a silver foil #21 (non-graded) one if it even exists...

20180314_145401.jpg

20180314_154501.jpg

Edited by pubmonkey

On 3/14/2018 at 1:38 AM, The Heckler said:

Still looking to pick up a high grade 75 cent copy of 21. If you’ve got one, I’m paying top dollar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-21-Marvel-1st-app-Storm-Shadow-Canadian-Newsstand-0-75-Price-Variant/253497918518?hash=item3b05a74436:g:gy8AAOSwcxVarR6m

20 hours ago, PKJ said:

24 and 25 were two of my favorites as a kid. Have been hoarding them for some time now since they are dirt cheap (anyone selling either copy I will take it off your hands). This was when i was really getting into GI Joe and Water Moccasin was one of my favorite toys.

Spinner.jpg

Holy cow, that's a killer spinner. I've probably said this 5 or 6 times already in this thread, but the 20's for me are perhaps the fondest comic run in my heart as far as pure childhood joy. That was just such an epic time for the title with a seemingly endless rollout of new characters coming issue after issue. I have most of the "known" OA for 23 (the only art I kept after I sold off the rest of the collection 6 or so years ago, including the cover for 24). 22 and 25 are close runners-up for that period, partly because of the Rattler and Water Moc, but all the intrigue and betrayal Hama used to flesh out the Cobra ranks was absolutely fascinating. That title had such depth and subtlety. 

That's awesome. I really wish they figured out a way to make that G.I. Joe Artist Edition happen. I was really looking forward to that one. I need to get into the new comic as well. I saw Comiconart has some of the original artwork. On another G.I. Joe topic that should probably go in the statue section but people here might have missed it, even though the Prime 1 Snake Eyes statue was delayed yet again. Kotobukiya is teasing their G.I. Joe line with Scarlett and Baroness up first.

IMG_0240-1-768x383.jpg

IMG_0241-768x405.jpg

I hope these turn out well. I guess they start with the characters that will sell. Even though Sideshow Toys never made a Scarlett statue or figure. I would have liked to see them start with Lady Jaye and perhaps Zarana.

Wow, thanks for posting the G.I. Joe artwork.  (thumbsu  The cover to #24 might be my favorite, most memorable cover of the run.  Your #23 page is really nice too with a cool image of Stormshadow.  How many pages do you have from that issue?  

Edited by Mickey7

1 hour ago, Mickey7 said:

Wow, thanks for posting the G.I. Joe artwork.  (thumbsu  The cover to #24 might be my favorite, most memorable cover of the run.  Your #23 page is really nice too with a cool image of Stormshadow.  How many pages do you have from that issue?  

5 total. Not sure if anymore have come up over the last few years, I haven't had my eye on OA for a bit, so it's possible more have surfaced since then.

On 3/26/2018 at 5:21 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Here's my photo of the OA for 24 that I used to own:

5ab964241ec53_GIJoe24coversm.jpg.88038d621e13029e507c2c884b9cefa8.jpg

Here's the only photo I happen to have on my HD of one of my 23 pages:

5ab96470901e7_GIJoe23pg10.jpg.0ddab01b66e977c7591055157a6354ca.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing the OA! I would love to have that 24 Cover!

Here are the rest of the hoard not on the spinner

Joe25 hoard.jpg

9 hours ago, PKJ said:

Thank you so much for sharing the OA! I would love to have that 24 Cover!

Here are the rest of the hoard not on the spinner

Joe25 hoard.jpg

Huge #24 fan here as well, it was the first back issue I ever bought. I got it at the 1986 SanDiego comic con.  At that time I’ve never even been to a comic shop but I had a subscription to GIJoe starting with 34.  I had a bunch of earlier issue reprints from the multi packs. (2,10,17,18,19,21,22,23,26,27,28,29,30.)

It was amazing to finally read 24,25,31,32,+33 after 2-3 years of waiting.  Thankfully the yearbooks filled me in (somewhat).  Why they didn’t reprint 24 and 25 in those 3 packs is beyond me.

Edited by Knightsofold

12 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Huge #24 fan here as well, it was the first back issue I ever bought. I got it at the 1986 SanDiego comic con.  At that time I’ve never even been to a comic shop but I had a subscription to GIJoe starting with 34.  I had a bunch of earlier issue reprints from the multi packs. (2,10,17,18,19,21,22,23,26,27,28,29,30.)

It was amazing to finally read 24,25,31,32,+33 after 2-3 years of waiting.  Thankfully the yearbooks filled me in (somewhat).  Why they didn’t reprint 24 and 25 in those 3 packs is beyond me.

Actually #25 was reprinted in one of the three packs - along with #7 and 29 if my memory serves me correct.  From the front, it looks like a first print.  

As far as Joe original art, I've got a little of that lying around... here's something you might enjoy!

GI_Joe24p1.jpg

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

Actually #25 was reprinted in one of the three packs - along with #7 and 29 if my memory serves me correct.  From the front, it looks like a first print.  

As far as Joe original art, I've got a little of that lying around... here's something you might enjoy!

Haha, you're being mighty modest! I wondered if you'd start teasing us with a peak at your OA. That's a killer title splash! More? :popcorn:

2 hours ago, comiconxion said:

GI_Joe24p1.jpg

If it gets in the way lying around :takeit:

Awesome piece there!