• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pirate's Con Report

24 posts in this topic

Friday,

Got late start in afternoon so hit Cincy traffic. Rolled in around 7:30 and checked in. Got into the con as it was winding down. Saw Buck, Bigmike, Roy and F'ing H. They shut it down about half an hour later.

Went with Sean to eat at some italian place named Buca's and it was fantastic. Went back to the Hyatt and saw Gemma and Bill from GCG.

**rest of evening edited to protect those involved**

Saturday,

Got up early to get going. I cracked all the slabs the evening before. Had to basically tell sean to get his up and let's go as i needed to get my pass.

I hit the floor running to alan davis booth for the "wait". As I waited in his line, I proceeded to see Isabella, Stern, and van sciver, so knocked out a few SS.

Alan arrived around 10:30 and was doing $10 pencil sketches. After an hour or so I got a cool Wolverine sketch for jonjesper as I thought he didn't have a Davis (apparently he's sneaky like that ) and got all books signed. Wow a third of the way done at 11am :)

Chris Claremont was late to his Hero signing but I waited and he showed around 2:30. The girl was saying limited, but Pirate said money talks wildly_fanciful_statement walks and I got all the claremonts.

Decided to go to lunch with the Fing at 3pm or so but at last second saw no one in line for eliopoulos Lou Ferrigno and Billy Tan, so took a few minutes to knock out all my extra subs. I was down to Kubert.

Went to some Brewery/Pub which was fantastic! Sean decided to drop off his stuff for the day, bad move as Ninja Pirate was ready.

About 5:30, I see about 3 people in Kuberts line. The last guy in line says it's capped. I happen to know last guy in line (non witness) and flew to booth to get my Kuberts. As I get back he's getting his cards signed byKubert, so I run up saying got your books. I used a jedi mind trick on mid ohio staff member.

Joe let me get them done and at 5:45, Pirate was done!

About 7:30 met up at Hyatt bar. Present were Steve, Sean, Buck, thedude, sharon and chandler, gemma, bill, newt, thecollector, roy and louise. Hung out for a while and then most headed to Morton's.

Very little comic talk, mostly politics, the big lebrowski I(never seen) and making fun of buck with his drinks.

after that, we got up ***edited to protect the innocent**

Bed time for Pirate around 1am (i'm old and tired) after getting most subs written up

Sunday was going to be hangout day

Sunday,

Had to smack .Harmon to get up as he had a lot more fun than I did Saturday. Got to booth around 9 and started finishing invoices. Should have hopped back in Davis line but wanted the dead weight gone out of my boxes.

All books submitted, I went looking around. Headed to Billy Tan to try and get this awesome unpublished cover cheaper and he finally relented and got it for a song (will add pics later). I also got a Golgoth sketch from him (he's the guy from empire dc)

Went to hang out at CGC and Fingh said I should see if McLeod is doing sketch covers. He was talking to someone so I looked though his art. He had Adv of Superman ann 4 pages (crossed over with L.E.G.I.O.N. so i found a great team splash for under $80. He normally charges $100 for inked sketches. He said to tell me how much I wanted to pay for a sketch cover. I said $30 as I figured it would be halfway decent. It was beyond decent and will be in fingH's collection soon.

Went to eat at that Buca's again as it was good the second time around. Show was dead on Sunday. Also got a fantastic painted/inked Stuart Sayger Bullseye fallen son. This guy is talented and super nice to boot.

Got last minute black cat sketch cover from Tucci and in last ten minutes found a trade deal and got a few nice 2000ad trades for $5 each :)

Hung out at CGC booth about an hour past closing, said my goodbye's and hit the road.

Ever have to go to the bathroom so bad but on a stretch of road with no exits and nothing but corn fields? Well I can tell you a cornfield is about as private of a bathroom as you can get.

Pics of the sketches? I'd really love to see Davis' sketches--his work on X-Men and Excalibur were always some of my favorites esp. the Wolverine/Sabertooth cover (211 or 212 I believe).

And McCleod is a really, really nice guy. He didn't have anyone at his table at Baltimore, and he talked to me about working on Kraven's Last Hunt w/ Mike Zeck. I mean, c'mon, how cool is that?

P.S. Anthony, I didn't know you were a ninja?-)

Whoooo thanks Pirate! 10 more trooper CGC SS books on their way!

Troop, you had some nice books. I hope the alcohol leaking from my pores didn't damage them. Oh, wait, they are your books. I'm sure they are used to that type of activity.

Like I told you, I called my wife saturday and apologized because if I snore half that bad, she deserves an award for the last 15 years. I had no idea snoring could affect sleep that bad.

my art, the pencil piece is hard to see but it's an unpublisher Billy Tan cover to UFF #55. The final version has a different pose. Other page is a Adv of Superman Ann 4 splash by Bob Mcleod. The sketch is an alan davis original for jonjesper.

th_midohio008.jpg

th_midohio006.jpg

th_midohio005.jpg

:o You got THAT sketch for only $10??? WOW!

Davis produced art of that quality for dozens of people, with a smile on his face and a kind word for everyone. And he would do it however you wanted, on paper, bristol board, or as in my case, on a Fallen Son book. :cloud9: He is a prince of a guy.

Hey Pirate, I bought the really good pages from that Annual from Bob earlier this year :P

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=402306&GSub=63095&GCat=0&UCat=0

Whatever you say, I don't see any L.E.G.I.O.N. on that page.