• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, DCman said:

or its missing a nice chunk.

Would you spend $11,450 on a book you couldn't see the back of?

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I dont spend $50 on book without seeing the back cover!

2 minutes ago, DCman said:

I dont spend $50 on book without seeing the back cover!

Me neither. World's gone mad. 

7 minutes ago, DST said:

I actually won the book and was willing to go all in because I requested a copy of the back cover from comiclink in advance which they provided.  I also got the grader notes from CGC.  Here they are:

765FBEA3-6758-48F6-BFA5-0E3DAF709038.jpeg

4287B85D-31E1-4658-A693-974F7052334F.jpeg

You've done well Lord Vader! :headbang:

8 hours ago, SECollector said:

I really can not understand why that copy is graded as 4.5. Especially after reading the notes. (shrug)

Me neither. Obviously we don't have it in hand, but all I can really see is the feint bottom right cover crease. The 5.0 has a dirty big chunk missing. I always struggle with 'highly' graded books with big obvious flaws. Who'd be a grader, eh?

9 hours ago, SECollector said:

I really can not understand why that copy is graded as 4.5. Especially after reading the notes. (shrug)

However the case though, congrats for acquiring an awesome copy of one of the nicest SA books, that in my opinion has been really undervalued for years.

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Me neither. Obviously we don't have it in hand, but all I can really see is the feint bottom right cover crease. The 5.0 has a dirty big chunk missing. I always struggle with 'highly' graded books with big obvious flaws. Who'd be a grader, eh?

I agree with both of you, the book definitely struck me as undergraded (especially when getting the scan of the back cover).  Very anxious to get the book in hand to see for myself.  However the press and resubmit turns out (should at least get a 5.0 when looking at that other book by comparison, no?) the eye appeal is undeniable with very minimal chipping, a nice wrap and centering, and of course the white pages.  No buyers remorse here :cloud9:

On 3/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/28/2018 at 1:50 PM, DCman said:

Interesting results on the  ASM #1s on Comiclink.......a 4.5 with great eye appeal sells for $11,450 while a 5.0 with some more obvious cover flaws sells for $7700.

Indeed. Have two books ever looked so different though! Makes a mockery of the grading in a way, when you put them side by side:

RADD562C2018212_181027.thumb.jpg.cd068e6a2453cb34b5f20cd8858023db.jpg00000082345000111570717001.thumb.jpg.b038fa614691e17fe47b16458afd54a7.jpg

Eye appeal is where it's at nowadays (:

Or someone thought that the 4.5 was upgradeable?

(shrug)

In this day and age this should be everyone's first thought, not that a 4.5 is actually 'worth' that much - although it might be.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Or someone thought that the 4.5 was upgradeable?

(shrug)

In this day and age this should be everyone's first thought, not that a 4.5 is actually 'worth' that much - although it might be.

Even if the book doesn’t upgrade I’m still thrilled to own it.  I wanted a mid grade copy with great eye appeal (both front and back), white pages, minimal to no marvel chipping, nice centering and that was firmly attached at both staples (the last copy I owned was detached at one).  This book checked all the boxes so I went all in.  Paid a strong price but I have no regrets!

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

You shouldn't!  That book presents beautifully for the grade -- the comic surpasses the number, and that's what you paid for.

Dan

Thanks Dan!  Means a lot coming from you with the quality of books I see you buy and sell!

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Good for you DST for winning and paying that amount for a very beautifully presentable ASM #1. I've been stressing that eye appeal should be the benefactor in buying and not the grade.  Whether or not the book can upgrade someday, you've got yourself a true keeper :golfclap:

Thanks DK!! Agreed 100%