• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Thats a pretty 7.0. I'd take a look at the grading notes on it and see if anything could be pressed it. White pages, corners look sharp, spine looks good. It shows better than the grade imo. If there are simply some bends or rippling, a press would knock it out.

Congrats!

Not arguing that it's a great looking book but I don't think a press would help. Apparently you missed the piece missing from the top edge, maybe an inch long, showing the inside paper ? Of course will all know a press can fix anything. Maybe it can stretch the paper enough to cover up the missing piece. :baiting:

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Not arguing that it's a great looking book but I don't think a press would help. Apparently you missed the piece missing from the top edge, maybe an inch long, showing the inside paper ? Of course will all know a press can fix anything. Maybe it can stretch the paper enough to cover up the missing piece. :baiting:

Sure, a press wouldnt fix that. But, if the grading notes have any other pressable defects, if might could bump to 7.5 possibly. You can always submit to press for scan first, but takes longer.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

For the record, I'm not really a press-and-resubmit kind of guy.  That thought hadn't crossed my mind, particularly on this book for the reason you point out.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went for it tonight and finally got myself a ticket to this club!

659210293_AmazingSpider-Man1CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.9d6ae0a1f273c65803bde8a5728895e3.jpg

Honest question -- does anybody else think this book would look better without that tiny piece that's sticking up from the top edge, looking like it might not even be attached?  My OCD is going a little crazy here.

Honestly, it's a great looking book but I agree that the tiny piece is annoying. If it were my book I would get it reholdered. I don't like the way this book is encapsulated. It looks like the bottom wedge is pushing the top cover too hard against the top edge.

Just now, KirbyJack said:

If I had to pick between the two you got and the two you missed, I’d say you got the better ones!

Interesting.  I thought the #2 was gorgeous.  It's a CVA Exceptional!!  :wink:

Speaking of which, I was also looking at this book:

00040572398000081494134005_TH.jpg

Seriously, what in the world does a "CVA Exceptional" designation mean on a book that is already a 9.8?  How can anyone say with a straight face, from outside the slab, that they think this 9.8 is better than a typical 9.8??!!

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Honestly, it's a great looking book but I agree that the tiny piece is annoying. If it were my book I would get it reholdered. I don't like the way this book is encapsulated. It looks like the bottom wedge is pushing the top cover too hard against the top edge.

I agree with this statement. I would be worried about that. It's not the tiny piece that annoys me, but the fear of damage that would drive me.  

On that note, imagine what that baby would be without the chip!!!

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Sure, a press wouldnt fix that. But, if the grading notes have any other pressable defects, if might could bump to 7.5 possibly. You can always submit to press for scan first, but takes longer.

Okay, it's obvious you are a press first, ask questions later Believer. IMO, that one flaw is what is holding the book at 7.0 . Fixing any other pressable defects probably won't matter. Still, if the notes mention pressable defects, it may be worth a try. Do we have the notes ?  

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, it's obvious you are a press first, ask questions later Believer. IMO, that one flaw is what is holding the book at 7.0 . Fixing any other pressable defects probably won't matter. Still, if the notes mention pressable defects, it may be worth a try. Do we have the notes ?  

I just got the notes and I'm kinda shocked what a laundry list it is:

Left Bottom Back Cover Lite Smudge
Left Bottom Back Cover Stain
Left Top Back Cover Lite Smudge
Left Top Back Cover Stain
Right Center Whole Book Small Bindary Tear
Right Top Front Cover Small Chip Out
Spine Bend Breaks Color
Spine Stress Lines
Spine Wear
Top Spine Small Chip Out
Whole Book Small Wear

I'm not even sure what some of this is referring to, and none of it seems to match up with the most obvious defect(s) visible in the scan.  ???

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Spine Bend Breaks Color
Spine Stress Lines
Spine Wear
Top Spine Small Chip Out
Whole Book Small Wear

I'm not even sure what some of this is referring to, and none of it seems to match up with the most obvious defect(s) visible in the scan.  ???

This is bizarre. Even the location of the chip out does not match up. I am puzzled. I hate to say it but I would contact CGC for an explanation. It's a great looking book but these notes are disconcerting. 

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Whole Book Small Wear

I feel like they could have left it at that plus the chip haha, I think, in this case, they're not trying to justify the grade being what it is, but telling you why it isn't higher.

I know that is exactly what grading is, but I feel that sometimes the way the notes are written tell a little story. 

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Absolutely not. Like I said, look at the grading notes first and look for pressable defects. I've done this quite a bit and been very successful. NEVER had a book damaged. My ASM 14 went from 8.5 to 9.2. ASM 129 went from 9.0 to 9.4. I've had many other old books jump too. I've had many expensive modern books go from 9.4 to 9.6 (Batman 608 RRP is one). BUT, I always read grading notes first and even before buying a book.

I NEVER press first and ask questions later (whatever that means). For example, I have an ASM 1. It's a 6.5 and I never pressed it because the grading notes are not pressable.

congrats on scoring two monster books lou! i wouldn't worry about the notes and pressing and all of that stuff. just enjoy owning such killer books. i guess it's mac and cheese for dinner every night now that you've spent all your money...

13 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went for it tonight and finally got myself a ticket to this club!

659210293_AmazingSpider-Man1CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.9d6ae0a1f273c65803bde8a5728895e3.jpg

Honest question -- does anybody else think this book would look better without that tiny piece that's sticking up from the top edge, looking like it might not even be attached?  My OCD is going a little crazy here.

Well worth going for it IMO(thumbsu  The colors, the wrap, the staple placement, the centering, the white pages...about as gorgeous as it gets:luhv:  Congrats on winning this gem(worship)

Edited by DST

22 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Spine Bend Breaks Color
Spine Stress Lines
Spine Wear
Top Spine Small Chip Out
Whole Book Small Wear

They slipped a 7.0's grading notes into your 8.5 :smile:

On 11/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Spine Bend Breaks Color
Spine Stress Lines
Spine Wear
Top Spine Small Chip Out
Whole Book Small Wear

In my experience grading notes can be all over the place.

One book can have a laundry list of notes, another book next to nothing.

The notes are not indicative of the over all appeal of the book nor are they exhaustive. It's up to the discretion of each grader as to what they write down.

My theory is that newer graders write down more notes than more experienced graders.

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

In my experience grading notes can be all over the place.

One book can have a laundry list of notes, another book next to nothing.

The notes are not indicative of the over all appeal of the book nor are they exhaustive. It's up to the discretion of each grader as to what they write down.

My theory is that newer graders write down more notes than more experienced graders.

I'm not really that worried about how long the list is -- I agree with you that nothing about these notes changes the fact that this is a 7.0 with strong eye appeal.

But -- without yet having the book in hand -- I'm just having a difficult time even correlating these notes to the book.  There are things listed I don't see, and things I see that aren't listed.