• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

Just curious do you guys think this rapid run up in value for this book is sustainable in mid to high mid grades? Specifically looking at 5.5 to 7.0? I mean the census on these is on the high side. I think there's been a consistent run up here almost across the board for several years now but wonder if this is sustainable? The importance of it shields it somewhat from a major downturn and don't think there's ever been one. Interested to get some takes on this from some more experienced collectors??? Thanks in advance for any feedback

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious do you guys think this rapid run up in value for this book is sustainable in mid to high mid grades? Specifically looking at 5.5 to 7.0? I mean the census on these is on the high side. I think there's been a consistent run up here almost across the board for several years now but wonder if this is sustainable? The importance of it shields it somewhat from a major downturn and don't think there's ever been one. Interested to get some takes on this from some more experienced collectors??? Thanks in advance for any feedback

I think it's crazy that the market prices this book as the #4 SA Marvel key behind AF 15, Hulk 1, and FF1. It's in its own tier at this point with X-Men 1, TOS 39, and JIM 83 right behind playing catch up.

1 hour ago, jjfversion1 said:

I think it's crazy that the market prices this book as the #4 SA Marvel key behind AF 15, Hulk 1, and FF1. It's in its own tier at this point with X-Men 1, TOS 39, and JIM 83 right behind playing catch up.

Taking everything in consideration, I think it actually makes sense. Yes, not a first appearance, but:

• 1st issue of the most iconic (and most collected) run ever published (everyone who collects Spider-Man wants it and then many many more).
  • Published just a few months after the first appearance (and only the second appearance).
  • Published pre-1964 (the time frame that many collectors consider to be the point when collecting became "a thing")
  • Iconic cover (some collectors don't like it, but iconic nevertheless)
  • High status book (who doesn't want to say that they own the first issue of Spider-Man?)
  • AF15 prices have raised out of reach for the vast majority of collectors, so it is the next best thing for Spider-Man collecting.

I think it was undervalued for a long long time and I personally don't see it coming down to previous prices any time soon.

Edited by SECollector

22 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Taking everything in consideration, I think it actually makes sense. Yes, not a first appearance, but:

• 1st issue of the most iconic (and most collected) run ever published (everyone who collects Spider-Man wants it and then many many more).
  • Published just a few months after the first appearance (and only the second appearance).
  • Published pre-1964 (the time frame that many collectors consider to be the point when collecting became "a thing")
  • Iconic cover (some collectors don't like it, but iconic nevertheless)
  • High status book (who doesn't want to say that they own the first issue of Spider-Man?)
  • AF15 prices have raised out of reach for the vast majority of collectors, so it is the next best thing for Spider-Man collecting.

I think it was undervalued for a long long time and I personally don't see it coming down to previous prices any time soon.

I agree it was undervalued for a long time, and the last reason I bolded is why it is running up now. A mid grade ASM 1 = Universal 1.5 AF 15 price-wise now.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, batman_fan said:

Finally got into the club with this one, but I am in the hunt for an upgrade hm

Plus a bunch of other Spiderman

2019-04-15-0005.jpg

There’s a gorgeous 7.5 with white pages in the current c-link auction. Upgrade time 🤔😉

On 7/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Gruson said:

Here’s mine. Displays great, maybe higher than a 4.0?  Very clean but does have chipping and some spine wear. I was very impressed when I opened it up and saw how nice it looked.  

442EC777-67CE-45C9-A16C-5297BC153713.jpeg

AA002B02-F83F-480D-BFE2-7BBE395498F5.jpeg

is that your frame? just make sure if it is, that you have UV plexiglas, or museum glass. otherwise UV light, even indirect, will fade your awesome book! nice pickup!! 

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The Bethlehem copy of SpiderMan 1 is coming up in the next HA auction. Does anyone know the history of the book?  Previously graded and subsequently upgraded?

It's an interesting book and looks like it's been pressed at least a few times.  The back cover staples appear to have some very slight tears and the bottom right front corner has a small chip out.  Wonder if those defects have always been there?  Any photos of this book before it was re-holdered? hm

7 hours ago, mosconi said:

It's an interesting book and looks like it's been pressed at least a few times.  The back cover staples appear to have some very slight tears and the bottom right front corner has a small chip out.  Wonder if those defects have always been there?  Any photos of this book before it was re-holdered? hm

Definitely looks like it has gone through the treatment before. I would love to see some earlier images.