• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Last night I posted in the ASM collecting thread that I completed a run from #2 to 441. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to purchase an original #1 so I’m wondering how the community feels about the Golden Records reprint as a substitute. What about the Marvel Milestones edition which also reprints the original ads? I look forward to some thoughts and opinions.

It's a drag when an issue you need to complete a run moves out of sight. If you can't afford a number one - few can - the GRR is easily the nearest best thing, being of an age (1966) and visually identical cover wise bar the missing price. That would be my advice. Modern reprints like the Milestone editions are nothing like what's needed. Good luck.

15 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Last night I posted in the ASM collecting thread that I completed a run from #2 to 441. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to purchase an original #1 so I’m wondering how the community feels about the Golden Records reprint as a substitute. What about the Marvel Milestones edition which also reprints the original ads? I look forward to some thoughts and opinions.

I'm in the same boat and asked this very question and all I got was a resounding NO at least Marwood understands that it could be out of our price range and because of the raising prices of AF15 more and more are paying a larger amount for the number 1. Good luck I myself am three short of a complete run from 3-700 and all the off shoots.

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

I'm in the same boat and asked this very question and all I got was a resounding NO at least Marwood understands that it could be out of our price range and because of the raising prices of AF15 more and more are paying a larger amount for the number 1. Good luck I myself am three short of a complete run from 3-700 and all the off shoots.

Both your achievements are great - that's a lot of books! I tried for an ASM run of 100-200 in CGC 9.4 and made the mistake of leaving 121 and 129 to the end. My thinking was, I could get 20 books for the price of either, so went for volume first. Then both books went barmy and I ended up not getting 121. Then I sold the lot. Point being, always buy the expensive key first. Then pick the others off later. But once the key goes so far,  many of us will be unable to get it. As a completist, I had every Spidey. Every one. But I couldn't cope now with all these artificially priced variants going for thousands. Sooner or later, money becomes a barrier to most but the very wealthy. I couldn't start again now unless I won the lottery. It may be a reason that the hobby is waning. Who could afford the ASM 1-700 run now? 

Be happy you've got #2 upwards. Some great books there, and they will one day be on the out of reach list too. 

27 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I think I would never be satisfied with a reprint. 

If tomorrow my FF 1 was gone, I would have to have one, but I couldn’t afford another. I think I would try to find a cheap coverless copy. They look really sharp with quality facsimile covers.

Nice to have at least part of an original, but I can't bear facsimile covers. I'd leave it coverless 

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Both your achievements are great - that's a lot of books! I tried for an ASM run of 100-200 in CGC 9.4 and made the mistake of leaving 121 and 129 to the end. My thinking was, I could get 20 books for the price of either, so went for volume first. Then both books went barmy and I ended up not getting 121. Then I sold the lot. Point being, always buy the expensive key first. Then pick the others off later. But once the key goes so far,  many of us will be unable to get it. As a completist, I had every Spidey. Every one. But I couldn't cope now with all these artificially priced variants going for thousands. Sooner or later, money becomes a barrier to most but the very wealthy. I couldn't start again now unless I won the lottery. It may be a reason that the hobby is waning. Who could afford the ASM 1-700 run now? 

Be happy you've got #2 upwards. Some great books there, and they will one day be on the out of reach list too. 

Thanks for your comments!

I get what you’re saying about picking up the big books first but I never thought that I would even approach where my collection is now.

I started out around 25 years ago by buying cheap originals above issue 160 and Marvel Tales and Masterworks reprints of the rest.

Then, I bought a real nice #50 (my all- time favourite comic book) for $100, by far the most I ever spent on a book to that point.

Then, around six or seven years ago I stumbled onto a beautiful 129 that I couldn’t pass up for $540. It wasn’t even on my radar but it was sooo nice and the price was “right”.

To be continued...

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

I'm in the same boat and asked this very question and all I got was a resounding NO at least Marwood understands that it could be out of our price range 

I understand about the whole price range thing; I can’t afford most of the stuff I have.

The way I remember your question, you phrased it more like “does having the reprint #1 count as having a complete collection?” Lots of “no”s followed.

If you can’t afford it, do what feels right.

I think having 2-100+ is way more fun and interesting than just having a #1!

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I think having 2-100+ is way more fun and interesting than just having a #1!

Thanks for the reply yes you are right about the advice I was given, it is just that I had grown up with Spidey in the British reprints and had all those as a full run. During the mid eighties I fell in love with the Stern Hobgoblin and started to collect the originals and then I realized that many of my reprints were in Black and white so I then wanted all the originals, I was hooked. To hold an original issue from the early sixties is a pleasure I cannot describe, it is just a great feeling and a little bit of history in my hands.<3 

4 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

Thanks for your comments!

I get what you’re saying about picking up the big books first but I never thought that I would even approach where my collection is now.

I started out around 25 years ago by buying cheap originals above issue 160 and Marvel Tales and Masterworks reprints of the rest.

Then, I bought a real nice #50 (my all- time favourite comic book) for $100, by far the most I ever spent on a book to that point.

Then, around six or seven years ago I stumbled onto a beautiful 129 that I couldn’t pass up for $540. It wasn’t even on my radar but it was sooo nice and the price was “right”.

To be continued...

Carrying on...

Between eBay, local stores and shows the collection kept on growing. One of my sons and I drove down to the 2013 Chicago Con where I picked up #s 29, 238, 239 and 300, along with a bunch of others I was missing.

Last year, a LCS got a ASM collection in. It took the owner several months to price and start selling the Spideys but I let him know I definitely wanted #2 which he had graded the highest of the early issues. It was the first book he sold from the collection and I bought it on my birthday last December. I should mention he also had #1 but it was out of my price range even though it was relatively cheap...sigh. Later on I also purchased issues 3 (unfortunately missing the pinup) and 7 plus several upgrades from the collection.

I picked up issues 5, 8 and 9 from this forum in the last several months and with the addition of #s 4 and 12 last week off of eBay, all that’s left is #1...and, of course, some required upgrading of a few issues. The hunt never really ends...

How about a restored real ASM 1 in a grade you can afford? I sold my copies of AF15 and ASM 1 in 2010 to start hunting restored copies in high grades to fit my collection. Back then you could get them for under $10k, and mid grades were cheap. But those are kind of rare, and you have to be picky about what kind of restoration you are comfortable with. I found a 9.0 AF15 with just the top edge trimmed, and a few touches of ink to the spine edge unseen. I like much better than the two Fine copies I sold. It wasn't about the value, it was the condition and how they fit my collection.

I have a GRR of ASM 1 that I'll sell in the near future, I forget if it's a 9.0 or 9.2, those are just like the original except for the cover price.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:54 AM, BARTERNET said:

Anyone got an opinion whether this spiderman #1 is original?

I followed the sale of this book and it was suspect.

Someone is going to get duped as that cover has red flags all over it.

And the book was sold 'as is'.

Edited by VintageComics

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Finally got one to keep!  Slight fade on the "S" but it doesn't bother me cause the colors everywhere else on the cover are very bright w/no Marvel chipping.

scan0085.jpg

The stand alone 'S' actually looks quite cool. Well done :)