ASM 1 Club?
21 21

914 posts in this topic

40 posts

Here are my 2 entries. I bought the PLOD one raw when I was a student and was not happy when it came back as a PLOD. There was glue on the spine. That spurred me to upgrade and get the 2.0 graded blue label one. I'm considering submitting and having CGC remove the glue on the spine of the PLOD copy so maybe I'll get a blue label after all!

image.png.206daa0ee65ffadf8af53673fad546ce.png  image.png.ec0306597fc0f7a20711b1ab4a1cf95e.png

1,095 posts

Just curious do you guys think this rapid run up in value for this book is sustainable in mid to high mid grades? Specifically looking at 5.5 to 7.0? I mean the census on these is on the high side. I think there's been a consistent run up here almost across the board for several years now but wonder if this is sustainable? The importance of it shields it somewhat from a major downturn and don't think there's ever been one. Interested to get some takes on this from some more experienced collectors??? Thanks in advance for any feedback

1,442 posts
10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious do you guys think this rapid run up in value for this book is sustainable in mid to high mid grades? Specifically looking at 5.5 to 7.0? I mean the census on these is on the high side. I think there's been a consistent run up here almost across the board for several years now but wonder if this is sustainable? The importance of it shields it somewhat from a major downturn and don't think there's ever been one. Interested to get some takes on this from some more experienced collectors??? Thanks in advance for any feedback

I think it's crazy that the market prices this book as the #4 SA Marvel key behind AF 15, Hulk 1, and FF1. It's in its own tier at this point with X-Men 1, TOS 39, and JIM 83 right behind playing catch up.

773 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jjfversion1 said:

I think it's crazy that the market prices this book as the #4 SA Marvel key behind AF 15, Hulk 1, and FF1. It's in its own tier at this point with X-Men 1, TOS 39, and JIM 83 right behind playing catch up.

Taking everything in consideration, I think it actually makes sense. Yes, not a first appearance, but:

• 1st issue of the most iconic (and most collected) run ever published (everyone who collects Spider-Man wants it and then many many more).
  • Published just a few months after the first appearance (and only the second appearance).
  • Published pre-1964 (the time frame that many collectors consider to be the point when collecting became "a thing")
  • Iconic cover (some collectors don't like it, but iconic nevertheless)
  • High status book (who doesn't want to say that they own the first issue of Spider-Man?)
  • AF15 prices have raised out of reach for the vast majority of collectors, so it is the next best thing for Spider-Man collecting.

I think it was undervalued for a long long time and I personally don't see it coming down to previous prices any time soon.

Edited by SECollector

21,366 posts
22 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Taking everything in consideration, I think it actually makes sense. Yes, not a first appearance, but:

• 1st issue of the most iconic (and most collected) run ever published (everyone who collects Spider-Man wants it and then many many more).
  • Published just a few months after the first appearance (and only the second appearance).
  • Published pre-1964 (the time frame that many collectors consider to be the point when collecting became "a thing")
  • Iconic cover (some collectors don't like it, but iconic nevertheless)
  • High status book (who doesn't want to say that they own the first issue of Spider-Man?)
  • AF15 prices have raised out of reach for the vast majority of collectors, so it is the next best thing for Spider-Man collecting.

I think it was undervalued for a long long time and I personally don't see it coming down to previous prices any time soon.

I agree it was undervalued for a long time, and the last reason I bolded is why it is running up now. A mid grade ASM 1 = Universal 1.5 AF 15 price-wise now.

457 posts
On 4/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, batman_fan said:

Finally got into the club with this one, but I am in the hunt for an upgrade hm

Plus a bunch of other Spiderman

2019-04-15-0005.jpg

There’s a gorgeous 7.5 with white pages in the current c-link auction. Upgrade time 🤔😉

12,290 posts
22 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There’s a gorgeous 7.5 with white pages in the current c-link auction. Upgrade time 🤔😉

It is pretty sweet looking hm

12,290 posts
22 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

457 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Honestly for a 7.5 it feels even undergraded a tad, but yeah love your 6.5! Such an awesome book to own.

Edited by LDarkseid1