• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

When I was 19 I bought my first ASM 1 for $365, my mother about lost it. Why would I spend that much $$$ on a comic book. That was back in 1979. I bought it from a store in downtown Minneapolis. I bought my second one from them for $200 when I worked for them in the early 90's. I still love them, I do not have them graded, but #14 is still my favorite comic.

in 1999 when I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person teenager my Dad (who I had not spoken to in 13 years) gave me all his books in an attempt to reconnect with me. Being the ever so smart 16 year old that I was I promptly read them all and then sold them to the local store. I think I got 600$ total ahh youth.

Contents included

ASM #1-150

X-Men GSX1 94 -200

Hulk 181

and some other titles that I cant remember mostly Avengers and FF. I want to say that the X-Men and ASM were the highlights though. At least they were to me since they were the books that stuck out at the time when I read them. I obviously didnt know how important they were. I knew that they had value but at 16 600$ free dollars was a lot of money.

I think I took it straight to the mall and spent it on clothes. :facepalm:

edit: oh and a complete run of ROM which was obviously a huge mistake to get rid of.

Edited by dscott

in 1999 when I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person teenager my Dad (who I had not spoken to in 13 years) gave me all his books in an attempt to reconnect with me. Being the ever so smart 16 year old that I was I promptly read them all and then sold them to the local store. I think I got 600$ total ahh youth.

Contents included

ASM #1-150

X-Men GSX1 94 -200

Hulk 181

and some other titles that I cant remember mostly Avengers and FF. I want to say that the X-Men and ASM were the highlights though. At least they were to me since they were the books that stuck out at the time when I read them. I obviously didnt know how important they were. I knew that they had value but at 16 600$ free dollars was a lot of money.

I think I took it straight to the mall and spent it on clothes. :facepalm:

edit: oh and a complete run of ROM which was obviously a huge mistake to get rid of.

Nice!

Congrats, excellent. Now find me one.

Don, I didn't know you were looking.

I need a match to my AF 15. The one in the last Pedigree auction was close, but the reserve was really high.

what grade?

Congrats, excellent. Now find me one.

Don, I didn't know you were looking.

I need a match to my AF 15. The one in the last Pedigree auction was close, but the reserve was really high.

what grade?

I want one at 9.0 or 9.2 with minor restoration. The one I mentioned was on eBay before the other auction, they are asking way too much for that one though. It didn't sell at $5100 last month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=270965836443&nma=true&rt=nc&si=VG8NJ8iSFLjjNNUGF6SfOlC4HFE%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's not sig series obviously, but it's autographed by Lee and Kirby on the splash page. Not sure how much of the price is attributable to that.

That and its a pretty nice looking 4.5 also. I am sure some of the bidders are expecting to turn the book into a higher grade.

On a different note I won this book today on eBay. Pretty happy with it though my Heroes budget did take a bit of a hit. Instead of coming home with a TOS 39 or Hulk 1 4.0 next weekend I think I will have to stick to a Strange Tales 110 or Sgt. Fury 1. Otherwise the wife will murder me in my sleep.

KGrHqZq4E-ZI5ceCGBPzc2mP00g60_57.jpg

Edited by dscott