• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does restoration effect a comic's value?

8 posts in this topic

I have an Avengers 4 that I just discovered has had some slight restoration done. The comic is about an 8.0, and I'm wondering how much the restoration will effect the comic's value?

I'm considering having Stan Lee sign this one at his next signing opportunity before having it slabbed.

AV04.jpg

AV04_back.jpg

All depends on how much resto.

If a book comes back very slight resto than maybe 50% of the value for mid to higher grade books.

If a book comes back with moderate resto you can expect to get what a lower grade unrestored copy would go for.

An ultra high grade book will usually fetch a smaller percentage than a mid/hi grade book.

Also lower grade books are not devalued as much by resto as a higher grade book...for example a 2.5 or a 3.0 book with a bit of resto is not going to be worth 50% of an unrestored. I think that because defects like writing and tape are allowed in these grades people do not mind some color touch or added support on low grade books.

High grade collectors are a little more fussy because they are generally spending on eye appeal and possible investment.

Basically the lower the grade the less the difference in price between resto and unresto.

R.

All depends on how much resto.

If a book comes back very slight resto than maybe 50% of the value for mid to higher grade books.

If a book comes back with moderate resto you can expect to get what a lower grade unrestored copy would go for.

An ultra high grade book will usually fetch a smaller percentage than a mid/hi grade book.

Also lower grade books are not devalued as much by resto as a higher grade book...for example a 2.5 or a 3.0 book with a bit of resto is not going to be worth 50% of an unrestored. I think that because defects like writing and tape are allowed in these grades people do not mind some color touch or added support on low grade books.

High grade collectors are a little more fussy because they are generally spending on eye appeal and possible investment.

Basically the lower the grade the less the difference in price between resto and unresto.

R.

Agreed ! .... :applause:

I have an Avengers 4 that I just discovered has had some slight restoration done.

What was done to it? hm

From Matt Nelson's comments after his proscreen:

"Color touch along spine and bottom black of fc. There is bleed through, and removal isn't feasible"

I have an Avengers 4 that I just discovered has had some slight restoration done.

What was done to it? hm

From Matt Nelson's comments after his proscreen:

"Color touch along spine and bottom black of fc. There is bleed through, and removal isn't feasible"

That's a shame - I think you can see it on the scan at the wraparound on the LRBC as well.

Why anyone would do this is beyond me doh! - bleed-through is obviously the sign of an amateur :sumo:

This is too weird!!!!!

CGC returned my Avengers 4 citing slight (P). The grader notes indicate CT in the same area as yours. So far, coincidence? My book is OO. I can swear that I've never had any professional resto done. There's more....

I noticed the bump in the black spine line on your BC scan. Also what looks like someone outlined the lower left corner of the rear add. There are also some stray black dots in that area. GUESS WHAT? I've got all the same anomalies. These are production, not resto features.

Mine is slabbed so I can't confirm bleed thru, but assume there is none since they cited SP. But, you have to wonder if there could be some thing else going on. I also checked the ratio of restored to total. It is extremely high, but not out of line with other keys..

Also what looks like someone outlined the lower left corner of the rear add. There are also some stray black dots in that area. GUESS WHAT? I've got all the same anomalies. These are production, not resto features.

I can confirm from my OO copy that these are printing defects, and that CGC is fully aware of this. :)

AV4bs.jpg