• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8 vs. 9.6 and future value

26 posts in this topic

I collect mid to late Bronze, so many of the raw books I buy are in the $5 range. But lately I've been doing my research on CGC books by watching ebay items, checking GPA, etc. I'm shocked at difference between a 9.6 realized price and those of a 9.8. Often times, a 9.6 won't sell for the $10 starting big, but a 9.8 sells for $50, $60, $70 or more.

Now, I fully understand the buy the book not the label mentality, especially when some 9.6s look better than the 9.8 counterparts, but what does the future hold? Will these 9.8 books always be the cream of the crop sought after by collectors while the 9.6 books will sell on the cheap just as they are today? (I'm not in it for the money, but I do understand that at some point I'll want or need to sell my collection.)

I know that it's more about the individual book and all that, but in general, are those who seek out the 9.8s and pay crazy multiples just spending too much? Are 9.6 a bargain to be sought after while letting the others fight over the 9.8s?

I guess I just don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something?

Depends on the book. Some 9.8s are as common as dirt and easily affordable. I picked one up off of eBay just the other day for $16.00.

The trick is not to buy at the height of "scarcity." Wait until one of those puppies brings big bucks and then other high grade copies will come out of the woodwork. Once the price crashes, buy whatever grade makes you warm and fuzzy on the inside.

One of the factors for me on buying the cheaper books in 9.6 vs. 9.8 is the postage.

If I have to pay $10 in postage in a book, I tend to look past a 9.6 that is selling for $10 to $20 because I hate to spend such a big percentage of the book's value on a stamp. I am sure at least some of the others are likely doing the same thing - including the cost of postage in the value of the book.

Todays 9.8 or 10.0, will be graded dwon to 9.6's or 9.8's in the future. They are paper products and a slab is not light, water, fire and smoke proof. Nor is it tumble, drop, dog or humidity proof.

An argument could be made I guess, that the higher you start out with, the higher you end up with, on average.

I think maybe the only reason I'm concerned is this: I'm a nut for the perfect copy. I love the best of the best. However, I miss the days when I was younger and I'd eyeball a few copies of the same book, see one as being better then the others, and that was that. Back then, there really was no difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 and I still got a damn good book. Now, though, it's like I know there's a better copy out there and hesitate pulling the trigger on that crappy ol' 9.6. :lol:

I need counseling.

I think maybe the only reason I'm concerned is this: I'm a nut for the perfect copy. I love the best of the best. However, I miss the days when I was younger and I'd eyeball a few copies of the same book, see one as being better then the others, and that was that. Back then, there really was no difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 and I still got a damn good book. Now, though, it's like I know there's a better copy out there and hesitate pulling the trigger on that crappy ol' 9.6. :lol:

I need counseling.

Some will argue that there still isn't...other than the Big Number at the top left, which could change every time you submit the same book. (shrug)

As for you loving the 'best of the best', how would you quantify this? The Biggest Number, or the 'best' copy? Because if you want to take into account PQ and QP, they are not necessarily the same thing. (thumbs u

As for you loving the 'best of the best', how would you quantify this? The Biggest Number, or the 'best' copy? Because if you want to take into account PQ and QP, they are not necessarily the same thing. (thumbs u

Agreed. You could take a pile of 9.8s in any title and you could still pick out two or three that were better than all the rest.

Unless I'm mistaken, aren't these books magnified when CGC grades them? Therefore, the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 can be something that isn't visible to the unaided eye.

Personally, I just can't see paying the astronomical prices for 9.8's. I will gladly settle for the 9.0's to 9.6's that nobody else seems to want right now and pay a hell of a lot less for them. When I do choose to sell them later on, will they be worth more than the 9.8's? Obviously not, but I'm still obtaining nice, higher grade copies of what I like. Isn't that what's really important?

Shark

I need counseling.

Oh, I'm talking way back in the day. Collecting as a high grade nut seemed easier. Now, with the Internet, eBay, this site, etc., I know there are better copies to be had. Before, it was just me at the one or two local comic shops.

But yeah, I'm trying to break the habit. I'm trying to "accept" those lowly ol' 9.6s. :D

If a book needs to be a 9.8 (or higher) in order to have value in the current marketplace... then in the long-run it will probably be worth very little. A perfect crappy comic is just that.

I don't fully understand the trophy-case mentality on books that are generally common; but for me, the only 9.6/9.8 comics I'd ever want are Gaines File books which I could never afford anyway (boooo).

heres my take... comics gained great values by what was in them coupled with their grade compared to al other existing (or perceived supply) of them. Thats how we got to where we are today with prices for comics

Until recently, the only way a new comic was priced above its cover price was for its content, or a perceived shortage coupled with high demand, and all new unread copies were treated equally.

Now however some are graded and labeled a notch higher than the rest. And the higher gradedones are considered the best to own, just like with al older comics.

but, the newer the comic, the higher the supply. The supply graph is straight UP over the past 30-40 years of comics collecting. So while that makes 9.8s and up the ONLY copies worth owning (from a resale standpoint) its also an iffy game because nothing is scarce or rare anymore. Buying the sole graded 9.8 or 9.8 means only that: its the only graded copy SO FAR. You will be paying more than anyone else ever will for the first copy to appear 90% of the time. These copies are just temporarily scarce.

Therefor, I have zero interest in any slabbed 9.8s. I understand why others do want them. But I dont see the return they hope will materialize.

:applause::applause::applause:

Personally, I just can't see paying the astronomical prices for 9.8's. I will gladly settle for the 9.0's to 9.6's that nobody else seems to want right now and pay a hell of a lot less for them.

Yo know....... people who collect mid-grade silver might make the following statement:

"Personally, I just can't see paying the astronomical prices for 9.0's. I will gladly settle for the 5.0's to 7.0's that nobody else seems to want right now and pay a hell of a lot less for them."

Sound familiar?

Why pay "big bucks" for a 9.0 when you can get a really nice 6.0 for much less?

Personally, I collect late bronze Batmans, but only in 9.8

People seem to think bronze 9.8's grow on trees....... but they don't

They are very hard to find, especially non-key DC issues that nobody bothered to even buy off the news stand, let alone bag and board immediately, and preserve perfectly for 30 years. And that assumes the comic was a 9.8 to begin with when the person bought it (which it probably wasn't)

And as for there being no difference to the naked eye between a 9.4 and a 9.8..... that is also wrong. There is a noticeable difference. But yes, there is little noticeable difference between 9.6 and 9.8 to the naked eye.