• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko

60 posts in this topic

I know this subject has come up before, but we need to put our heads together to figure out how we can get Steve Ditko to start signing. In most cases involving human beings, money is a pretty good motivator. Does anyone know if Steve Ditko realizes how much money he is turning down by not signing his name? Has anyone been in contact with Steve Ditko to even make the proposal? If anyone has his number, give it to Chandler, I bet he could get it done.

It seems such a shame that Ditko will not sign his name to his own work. As much as a fan of Stan Lee that I am, I would certainly like to see Ditko take his bows for his contributions to Spider-Man. I'm working on a signature series collection that I hope someday to leave to a museum (if I don't go bankrupt from collecting first). It would be great if I could include Steve Ditko in that collection. Anyone have any ideas on this?

talk to thecollector

I have spoke with Mr. Ditko before. It did not go well. As for money He turned down 100 dollar per autograph and then yelled at me for insulting him. As for chandler he has his address and his phone number. I don't think he has gotten anywhere either.

Kris

Ditko's already been offered truckloads of money....the only way to get his signature would be if you were a cop and you arrested him.Actually, befriending him would probably be the only way...but he's probably too reclusive for that. Someone may be able to get it....but it would be a rare individual....someone who marches to the same beat...only thing there is that person probably wouldn't be so inclined.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ditko's already been offered truckloads of money....the only way to get his signature would be if you were a cop and you arrested him.Actually, befriending him would probably be the only way...but he's probably too reclusive for that. Someone may be able to get it....but it would be a rare individual....someone who marches to the same beat...only thing there is that person probably wouldn't be so inclined.GOD BLESS...

What if I mailed him a check.

What if I mailed him a check.
He would have to endorse it and I'd get it back with his sig. Genius!

He was autographing comics up until 1992, which is around the last time in his career when he had any interest working for mainstream comics. At any rate, I have a Marvel Milestone Edition reprint of Amazing Spider-man #1 with Ditko's autograph. It also has the autographs of Stan Lee and John Romita. It's possibly the only copy signed by all three creators most responsible for Spider-man's success. I wonder how much this copy is worth?

On the subject of what the comic book with Ditko's sig is worth, it's potentially worth a lot, however, since it is uncertified, it seems like the market doesn't quite know what to do with it, just as in the case of Kirby sigs. Do you have a photo of the signing? I, of course, would probably be interested in buying if you are interested in selling.

On the subject of what the comic book with Ditko's sig is worth, it's potentially worth a lot, however, since it is uncertified, it seems like the market doesn't quite know what to do with it, just as in the case of Kirby sigs. Do you have a photo of the signing? I, of course, would probably be interested in buying if you are interested in selling.

As if obtaining his signature wasn't difficult, try getting his photograph...!

The sigs are legit because a) the copy originated from an ex-Marvel staffer who had routine access to the individuals; b) the Ditko sig has been confirmed by one of his family members. I'm happy to keep this copy for a long time... However, for all Ditko autograph hunters out there, I do have a Ditko self-portrait sketch (that he signed) for sale in the upcoming Comiclink November auction.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2008nov%26itemtype%3D1%26Artist%3DSTEVE%2520DITKO%23Item_766483&id=766483

Mr. Ditko is not crazy, he has strict guiding principles and the discipline to adhere to them. Mr. Ditko is not a recluse, he just values his privacy very highly. He is still creating comics and publishing them with Robin Snyder, his latest is titled "Ditko, Etc...."

Money is not a motivator to Mr. Ditko, as he reportedly turned down royalties from the Spider-Man movie franchise. I understand the reason to be that he doesn't feel like the character is the same because of the change in mediums. His Spider-Man is on paper, the one they were offering money for was on celluloid (figuratively). Charity won't work either, as his Randian philosophy teaches that every man should take care of his own needs.

Mr. Ditko seems to feel as though the hobby has chosen to believe the self-aggrandizing version of events of Stan Lee's addled memory (no disrespect meant, Mr. Lee is the first to admit his memory isn't particularly good). Mr. Ditko has written his version of events and even had them published in Robin Snyder's fanzine "The Comics!" sometime ago. I'm trying to track down those issues.

Mr. Ditko once wrote, "it's a shame creators can't do a free sketch or autograph a book for fans without those fans turning around and selling it" or something very close to it. He freely admits that he doesn't know much about the current state of the hobby or industry and doesn't seem to care. He produces the books he wants to produce.

Mr. Ditko is not crazy, he has strict guiding principles and the discipline to adhere to them. Mr. Ditko is not a recluse, he just values his privacy very highly. He is still creating comics and publishing them with Robin Snyder, his latest is titled "Ditko, Etc...."

Money is not a motivator to Mr. Ditko, as he reportedly turned down royalties from the Spider-Man movie franchise. I understand the reason to be that he doesn't feel like the character is the same because of the change in mediums. His Spider-Man is on paper, the one they were offering money for was on celluloid (figuratively). Charity won't work either, as his Randian philosophy teaches that every man should take care of his own needs.

Mr. Ditko seems to feel as though the hobby has chosen to believe the self-aggrandizing version of events of Stan Lee's addled memory (no disrespect meant, Mr. Lee is the first to admit his memory isn't particularly good). Mr. Ditko has written his version of events and even had them published in Robin Snyder's fanzine "The Comics!" sometime ago. I'm trying to track down those issues.

Mr. Ditko once wrote, "it's a shame creators can't do a free sketch or autograph a book for fans without those fans turning around and selling it" or something very close to it. He freely admits that he doesn't know much about the current state of the hobby or industry and doesn't seem to care. He produces the books he wants to produce.

Well said, Doug. I wish Ditko would sign, too, but he seems to be demonized a lot for the fact that he won't. It's his life and his decisions should be respected. I do wish he would have a change of heart, though. :grin:

Ditko was recently offered the original art to Amazing Fantasy #15 and refused it. "Not interested"

I think it's clear that money, even a very significant amount, does absolutely nothing to motivate him to do something he isn't interested in doing.

I have a friend who mailed Ditko a comic book to sign in the mid 1980's. Ditko returned the comic unsigned with a note that said "I do not sign autographs".

Ditko was recently offered the original art to Amazing Fantasy #15 and refused it. "Not interested"

I think it's clear that money, even a very significant amount, does absolutely nothing to motivate him to do something he isn't interested in doing.

I have a friend who mailed Ditko a comic book to sign in the mid 1980's. Ditko returned the comic unsigned with a note that said "I do not sign autographs".

Did he sign the note?? lol