• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submission cost

3 posts in this topic

How does CGC determine when someone has submitted a comic to the wrong price range, for example a book that is worth $300 submitted as Economy (max value $250). I assume the book is priced acording to condition and of course the submitter does not know ahead of time what grade CGC will assign. Once the grade is assigned is the value of the book determined according to the latest Overstreet guide? Or by recent sales? Some other method? Knowing how CGC does this would help collectors submit books correctly and avoid delays. confused.gif

This is a question we answer a lot at conventions. If you are having a hard time, we recommend using an Overstreet Price Guide, Wizard, the new Standard Guide to Comic Books, Heritage auction sales, and of course, eBay to try to get a fair market value. Even ask your favorite dealer.

CGC is not going to "hassle" a person who puts a $300 dollar book through Economy that they insured for $250. We will "bump" a book out of economy if it is worth say $450, which is significantly more than $250 fmv cap. Just remember, what you estimate the fmv to be, is what we insure it for. If "bumped", the book is then insured for the higher price. Hope that helps.

FYI, once I tried to submit a GS X-men 1 under the standard category as the Overstreet had a high value of $1,000 which is the limit, as I was unsure how they were going to grade it. They advised me by phone that it was going to get a 9.6 and bumped it to the Express category. No big deal as I was happy with the higher grade.