• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

OK, I'm not posting this just to start up the same old arguments yet again. We just had another pressing thread and it was very similar to all the others. Nobody ever changes there opinions so there is nowhere for the argument to go.

However this time I came away with a positive realisation of just how much the few books that I own that I am certain aren't pressed, mean to me. I'm not a zealot, I've knowingly bought pressed books and probably unknowingly too. I just much prefer to have unpressed books or at least would like to know if they've been pressed.

Probably the only books I have that I can be certain of being unmanipulated are the USAF Mildenhall books that I got from Nick as they were straight from the collection and because Nick is trustworthy.

This latest thread made me realise that I would much rather aim for slabbed books in the 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 range as there is a good chance that a ,lot of the 9.6.s and higher are just books that have been pressed into that grade which kinda causes them to lose their"specialness" for me.

This isn't something that has just hit me all of a sudden, it's been dawning on me for a while. I very recently traded my highest graded books from my Avengers collection (9.6's which were top of the census though they may not be by now) for lower graded copies (9.2 & 9.4) because they don't mean as much to me as they used to. It's not like there is ahuge difference to the look of the book when you get to those grades so I'll be just as happy with the lower ones.

Also with my new appreciation of my unmanipulated books, I've realised that such things are hard to come by and will probably stay with for as long as I collect and it's made me think twice about selling my Mildenhall Marvel Spotlight # 5 that I upgraded from.

Who says that a positive experience can't come from a pressing thread? :o

Well said...

What I also don't think the pressers realize is when a slew of 9.6-9.8s are offered, all at once like we saw the other day by multiple sellers, it just diminishes the specialness of having the HG. Who wants to pay a premium for a 9.6 or 9.8 when you know they are sprouting up like weeds lately?

Might as well buy a unpressed raw 9.2-9.4 with the knowledge it has the potential for 9.6-9.8.

Jim

I wonder if CGC's stand that pressing isn't restoration is in any way influenced by the possibility that they can make a ton of money on all the HG fanboys who will not be happy with just a 9.4 and crack, press and then resub hoping for a 9.6-9.8 to come back. hm

it's all about capitalism, it's like sleeping with a virgin, i wouldn't, but some other arsehole will. :gossip:

That is an interesting analogy.

OK, I'm not posting this just to start up the same old arguments yet again. We just had another pressing thread and it was very similar to all the others. Nobody ever changes there opinions so there is nowhere for the argument to go.

However this time I came away with a positive realisation of just how much the few books that I own that I am certain aren't pressed, mean to me. I'm not a zealot, I've knowingly bought pressed books and probably unknowingly too. I just much prefer to have unpressed books or at least would like to know if they've been pressed.

Probably the only books I have that I can be certain of being unmanipulated are the USAF Mildenhall books that I got from Nick as they were straight from the collection and because Nick is trustworthy.

This latest thread made me realise that I would much rather aim for slabbed books in the 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 range as there is a good chance that a ,lot of the 9.6.s and higher are just books that have been pressed into that grade which kinda causes them to lose their"specialness" for me.

This isn't something that has just hit me all of a sudden, it's been dawning on me for a while. I very recently traded my highest graded books from my Avengers collection (9.6's which were top of the census though they may not be by now) for lower graded copies (9.2 & 9.4) because they don't mean as much to me as they used to. It's not like there is ahuge difference to the look of the book when you get to those grades so I'll be just as happy with the lower ones.

Also with my new appreciation of my unmanipulated books, I've realised that such things are hard to come by and will probably stay with for as long as I collect and it's made me think twice about selling my Mildenhall Marvel Spotlight # 5 that I upgraded from.

Well said...

What I also don't think the pressers realize is when a slew of 9.6-9.8s are offered, all at once like we saw the other day by multiple sellers, it just diminishes the specialness of having the HG. Who wants to pay a premium for a 9.6 or 9.8 when you know they are sprouting up like weeds lately?

Might as well buy a unpressed raw 9.2-9.4 with the knowledge it has the potential for 9.6-9.8.

Jim

I wonder if CGC's stand that pressing isn't restoration is in any way influenced by the possibility that they can make a ton of money on all the HG fanboys who will not be happy with just a 9.4 and crack, press and then resub hoping for a 9.6-9.8 to come back. hm

I'm pretty sure CGC's stand is based on the fact that they can't accurately detect pressing. They may suspect pressing but is it fare to grade a comic pressed without knowing for sure? I would be very unhappy if I submitted a comic that had been in my comic box for 30 years and CGC decided it might be pressed and graded it so.

I've been saying this almost since I got here but what the heck. It's Saki Time! But I will be brief.

I come from a GA/pre-code perspective. For me, a book that has survived with no mechanical manipulation to REMOVE things that have accumulated over time, and is in high grade (and for GA/Pre-code I would call VF and above "high grade") is a truly special book.

Note I said "no mechanical manipulation to REMOVE things that have accumulated over time". This would eliminate properly stored books, usually by an original owner, as the proper storage prevented the accumulaiton of defects that would have to be removed.

These really are special books. They deserve to be appreciated. Not by everyone but simply by those who can.

As far as pressing books to help eliminate accumulated defects? I have no problem with that at all. Hell, I have no problem at all with restoration.

But to me, it has always been that those books that managed to survive without any external process to help rejuvenate them, even a simple pressing, are truly special.

I honestly don't see how anyone can really disagree with that.

I thank you.

you should feel happy that you might be able to buy up all of the 9.2-9.4 books you want dirt cheap and be able to complete a fabulous collection. One that is just as great as slabbed 9.6-9.8 collection. Even better you could probably get full guide or better for your raw collection if you decide to sell since the pressers will be fighting to get to it and make them all 9.6s and 9.8s.

Yep. And I'm perfectly happy doing so...

Jim

Well said...

Jim

That would work well, especially if you had your own in-house function to help with that process.

You could call it something like Paper Conservation Services... hm

Well said...

Jim

That would work well, especially if you had your own in-house function to help with that process.

You could call it something like Paper Conservation Services... hm

^^

ahh so pressers aren't trustworthy, here we go again

Huh? At what point did I say or infer that? (shrug)

You didn't. It's just the wonder of Pirate. meh

Nice to see you Mr. Troll, I thought you only crawled out from under your rock in the spring. :hi:

I have never pressed a book or had a book pressed in my entire life (except for the occasional 'put a comic between my Gerber Photojournals and stack 50 lbs of weights on top for a week kinda pressing' -- I think we can all agree that every collector has done that sorta thing before -- whether at either 8 yrs old or 38 yrs old -- whether presser or anti-presser).

So the question is: What have I gained from the pressing debate?

I have gained the desire to pursue the following comic book hobby experience: seek out & buy raw HG comics, send them off for pressing, send them off for grading, & sell them with full disclosure.

I love comics & I love this hobby. As this will be a new experience for me in the hobby that I love, I can't wait to see how it goes.

So what have I gained from all of this Sturm und Drang? More Fun (just like the old comic title says) :headbang:

BTW, a lesson here: how one presents a particular point of view can influence one's audience in unintended ways; ways completely disassociated with the substance or merit of one's particular point of view. Be careful how you make your argument. Backlash & blowback always looms.

I have never pressed a book or had a book pressed in my entire life (except for the occasional 'put a comic between my Gerber Photojournals and stack 50 lbs of weights on top for a week kinda pressing' -- I think we can all agree that every collector has done that sorta thing before -- whether at either 8 yrs old or 38 yrs old -- whether presser or anti-presser).

I have gained the desire to pursue the following comic book hobby experience: seek out & buy raw HG comics, send them off for pressing, send them off for grading, & sell them with full disclosure.

I love comics & I love this hobby. As this will be a new experience for me in the hobby that I love, I can't wait to see how it goes.

So what have I gained from all of this Sturm und Drang? More Fun (just like the old comic title says) :headbang:

BTW, a lesson here: how one presents a particular point of view can influence one's audience in unintended ways; ways completely disassociated with the substance or merit of one's particular point of view. Be careful how you make your argument. Backlash & blowback always looms.

That's fine...but you can't expect people to stay quiet on a matter when they have a difference of opinion. I don't work that way or expect others to either.

What grates about this whole situation is the desire to keep pressing quiet. It was a relatively unknown process, to the majority on this Forum, not 5 years ago. Or at least not known how widespread the practice was. Do a search on the first pressing thread and I think you'll be surprised at those who denied the practice was even occurring.

Now it's out in the open. And with that the debate on whether it should be disclosed or not. Regrettably, some sellers don't feel the need to proactively disclose despite stating their belief those who dislike the practice should know. And personally I don't buy this new fad of "I don't have the time to remember so I'll state some may be pressed". Most on this Forum are adults and pretty bright individuals. Saying you can't remember which comics you had pressed just insults my and your intelligence. And perpetuates the notion that pressers have something to hide...

Jim

That's fine...but you can't expect people to stay quiet on a matter when they have a difference of opinion. I don't work that way or expect others to either.

What grates about this whole situation is the desire to keep pressing quiet. It was a relatively unknown process, to the majority on this Forum, not 5 years ago. Or at least not known how widespread the practice was. Do a search on the first pressing thread and I think you'll be surprised at those who denied the practice was even occurring.

Now it's out in the open. And with that the debate on whether it should be disclosed or not. Regrettably, some sellers don't feel the need to proactively disclose despite stating their belief those who dislike the practice should know. And personally I don't buy this new fad of "I don't have the time to remember so I'll state some may be pressed". Most on this Forum are adults and pretty bright individuals. Saying you can't remember which comics you had pressed just insults my and your intelligence. And perpetuates the notion that pressers have something to hide...

Jim

Jim, Can you Please pm me the names of those that denied the practice was even occuring? I have been having trouble with the search. Thanks

so are you saying you have made the decision to start pressing and selling books out of spite due to someones argument rubbing you the wrong way?

if so thats pretty weak.

Jim

Not to sound glib Jim, but it would be silly for one to expect people to stay quiet about anything. Most people prefer to express themselves; this is especially true of those who post on message boards.

My primary issue with anti-pressers is that they behave like the comic book cops. They oftentimes seem hurtful and mean spirited to me -- in my opinion, in my observation.

My primary issue with pressers is the scientific question: are they smashing comics into an early, a much accelerated oblivion? Pulverizing comics into a fibrous pumice of ash decades before their time is due?

maybe i read you post wrong but thats how it sounds to me

No, no spite. In retrospect I thought that one might conclude as you did. I also worried about sounding glib.

I think it will be fun to go through the experience. I intend to disclose & have given notice today.

BTW, Monstro (whom I like tons as you are the originator of the Conan Comics thread), I've only submitted to CGC twice in my life. Once in or about September of 2006 from a collection I bought. Once from my OO collection right before Spider-Man III.

maybe i read you post wrong but thats how it sounds to me

No, no spite. In retrospect I thought that one might conclude as you did. I also worried about sounding glib.

I think it will be fun to go through the experience. I intend to disclose & have given notice today.

BTW, Monstro (whom I like tons as you are the originator of the Conan Comics thread), I've only submitted to CGC twice in my life. Once in or about September of 2006 from a collection I bought. Once from my OO collection right before Spider-Man III.

so is your interest in doing this now about making more money? others are so you want a piece of the pie yourself?