• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

maybe i read you post wrong but thats how it sounds to me

No, no spite. In retrospect I thought that one might conclude as you did. I also worried about sounding glib.

I think it will be fun to go through the experience. I intend to disclose & have given notice today.

BTW, Monstro (whom I like tons as you are the originator of the Conan Comics thread), I've only submitted to CGC twice in my life. Once in or about September of 2006 from a collection I bought. Once from my OO collection right before Spider-Man III.

so is your interest in doing this now about making more money? others are so you want a piece of the pie yourself?

My interest is in pursuing my hobby, a part of which has always been of a monetary nature. When I was 10 years old, I would buy a comic & justify that purchase to my parents by saying: "You know this will be worth something one day!!" Then I would read it, horde it, & love it.

My primary issue with anti-pressers is that they behave like the comic book cops. They oftentimes seem hurtful and mean spirited to me -- in my opinion, in my observation.

Well it's a hot button issue and emotions sometimes get the best of both sides. But make no mistake, the pro-pressers have been just as vocal and condensending...

Jim

I intend to disclose & have given notice today.

That's great...but we've also heard others say that and recently modify their stance to the "they may be pressed I can't be sure" disclosure non-disclosure...

Jim

I intend to disclose & have given notice today.

That's great...but we've also heard others say that and recently modify their stance to the "they may be pressed I can't be sure" disclosure non-disclosure...

Jim

Actually going to the point of getting upset when you ask and ridicule you in their reply. I think it is pretty counter to the arguement that "no one cares otherwise they would ask". Or "if you really care why can't you just ask".

This is why I stick to the books I love and within my budget. These never ending arguments just wear on the enjoyment. I find it difficult to justify moving into higher end books simply because I cant trust anyone. :makepoint:

Pressing is ok in my book but should be disclosed if you know its pressed (and not some ambiguous "may or may not have been pressed" statement)....otherwise buyer beware.

My interest is in pursuing my hobby, a part of which has always been of a monetary nature. When I was 10 years old, I would buy a comic & justify that purchase to my parents by saying: "You know this will be worth something one day!!" Then I would read it, horde it, & love it.

That sounds "normal", like most collectors. But you have to admit it's like a cash-induced insanity has taken hold.

Miniscule non-damaged bends, dents and curls, are hugely significant now. They matter to value. So much so that their removal can create enormous price increases. Removal has become a new profession.

At the same time, same market, whether a comic book has been completely disassembled and reassembled is insignificant. Whether a comic has had it's staples swaped out, or been pressed is insignificant. Doesn't matter. "No one cares." No impact on value whatsoever. Those books are indistinguishable from other blue-holdered books out in the markerplace.

Doesn't that strike you as insane? (shrug) You're either a moronic "purist" if you don't obsess over thumb dents. Or a mean spirited anti-fun nutjob if you'd care to know exactly what you're buying.

It's an irrational state of affairs.

Premiums used to be payed for HG books due to the difficulty in preserving them in pristine condition over the years.

Now premiums are being paid for a numerical grade that has absolutely nothing to do with how well a book has been preserved.

Premiums used to be payed for HG books due to the difficulty in preserving them in pristine condition over the years.

Now premiums are being paid for a numerical grade that has absolutely nothing to do with how well a book has been preserved.

You've hit the nail on the head there. This is one of the main reasons why I've decided to stop from upgrading into the higher CGC grades.

Wouldn't a higher grade mean the book has indeed been preserved better? Or are we saying that because pressing exists the number can't be trusted?

I don't want to put words in your mouth I just want to know what your thought was behind this post. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just want to understand what you're saying.

What amazes me is how someone can put together a run of FF 2 to 10 or ASM 2 to 10 in low grade rather cheaply! if its not high grade or a first appearance it not really considered sought after. Thier really are not that many keys out there from 1960 and up. I can see why people have the temptation of pressing the comics.

A CGC9.6 Daredevil number 1 goes for much more money the a CGC 6 Daredevil number 1.This is a huge difference than the Overstreet Price Guide days when people would be happy to have a Daredevil 1 in any condition.

Wouldn't a higher grade mean the book has indeed been preserved better? Or are we saying that because pressing exists the number can't be trusted?

I don't want to put words in your mouth I just want to know what your thought was behind this post. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just want to understand what you're saying.

Pressing does not increase the State of Preservation(ie; condition). That 9.2 that was pressed into a 9.8 was preserved as a 9.2, then structurally manipulated to achieve the 9.8 numerical CGC grade. It wasn't preserved in NM/MT condition. It suffered from a few bumps & dents along the way.....much like most copies.

Nothing special about an artificial 9.8

I think your assumption that 9.0 and 9.2 books aren't pressed is flawed...but whatever rationale makes sense to you.

I don't think that there are no pressed books in the 9.0/9.2 range. I just think that you are a lot less likely to catch them in that range. There isn't as much financial incentive to get them pressed in that grade range.

Also, with the lesser price differences between the lower grades, you aren't going to be a much larger sum of money for a book that was actually a grade or two lower.

At least that's my opinion. (thumbs u

Pressing does not increase the State of Preservation(ie; condition). That 9.2 that was pressed into a 9.8 was preserved as a 9.2, then structurally manipulated to achieve the 9.8 numerical CGC grade. It wasn't preserved in NM/MT condition. It suffered from a few bumps & dents along the way.....much like most copies.

Couldn't have put it better myself. (thumbs u

Nothing special about it to you guys, but it is to plenty of other people. Why can't those folks have a right to thier opinion too?

How do you feel about a book that was a 9.2. Was stoted in the right conditions for x amount of time, and then when removed from storage, was a 9.8?

Do you suppose their are some books from various pedigrees out there that were not as pretty when they went in to storage as when they came out of storage?

Nothing special about it to you guys, but it is to plenty of other people. Why can't those folks have a right to thier opinion too?

How do you feel about a book that was a 9.2. Was stoted in the right conditions for x amount of time, and then when removed from storage, was a 9.8?

Do you suppose their are some books from various pedigrees out there that were not as pretty when they went in to storage as when they came out of storage?

Would love to see an example of a book that went from 9.2 to 9.8 due to storage. :popcorn:

I think your assumption that 9.0 and 9.2 books aren't pressed is flawed...but whatever rationale makes sense to you.

I know that, on this, I also speak for Garry...

Nobody thinks there are no pressed 9.0s and 9.2s. However, with the books that Garry and I both collect, the chances that this is the case are greatly diminished.

so for the people who do press books. let me ask this question. if you collect high grade books, does that fact that it has survived all this time in such a nice condition have any part in why you like HG books?

or is it that you like seeing the book in HG period. how it got that way is of no concern to you?