• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

If there is to be a genuine move towards detente with this issue, there must be proactive disclosure.

There is much talk about 'respecting the opinion of others', and I have no problem with that as a principal...it's how the world should work anyway, no? (shrug)

So, whilst there is a portion of the collecting community who require proactive disclosure, and they are not being catered for, there is a lack of 'respect'. We are actually being told what's good for us, or we can 'go shop elsewhere'.

Now, if all the pro-pressing arguments are to be believed (and I have no concrete evidence that they can't), there is no reason why proactive disclosure would hurt the pro-pressing portion of the community. Given the comments made by many proponents, it wouldn't even register on their radar.

So, please respect those who it does matter to. Proactively disclose and stop merely paying lip-service to 'loving the hobby and all the people in it'. (thumbs u

I respect the anti -pressers opinion and the right not to buy a pressed book. That is why if I'm asked if a book has been pressed, I'll tell the truth.

I don't think there is any respect being shown to the people that feel proactive disclosure is not necessary. (with good reason in my opinion, which have been debated in to the ground). Where is the respect in calling those people greedy, and unethical? Where is the respect in trying to cast thier service as a negative thing. Where is the respect in calling people label chasers because they would own a pressed 9.8 and be happy about it?

I don't love or even like all people in the hobby.

I don't think there is any respect being shown to the people that feel proactive disclosure is not necessary. (with good reason in my opinion, which have been debated in to the ground). Where is the respect in calling those people greedy, and unethical? Where is the respect in trying to cast thier service as a negative thing. Where is the respect in calling people label chasers because they would own a pressed 9.8 and be happy about it?

:applause:

If there is to be a genuine move towards detente with this issue, there must be proactive disclosure.

There is much talk about 'respecting the opinion of others', and I have no problem with that as a principal...it's how the world should work anyway, no? (shrug)

So, whilst there is a portion of the collecting community who require proactive disclosure, and they are not being catered for, there is a lack of 'respect'. We are actually being told what's good for us, or we can 'go shop elsewhere'.

Now, if all the pro-pressing arguments are to be believed (and I have no concrete evidence that they can't), there is no reason why proactive disclosure would hurt the pro-pressing portion of the community. Given the comments made by many proponents, it wouldn't even register on their radar.

So, please respect those who it does matter to. Proactively disclose and stop merely paying lip-service to 'loving the hobby and all the people in it'. (thumbs u

I respect the anti -pressers opinion and the right not to buy a pressed book. That is why if I'm asked if a book has been pressed, I'll tell the truth.

I don't love or even like all people in the hobby.

Help me to understand.... :foryou:

Why do you feel that proactive disclosure is not necessary? There's has to be a reason that sellers adopt the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy.

Why does a select group of collectors expect the rest of the comic collecting world to cater to them? I just don't understand that. You don't like pressing, ask about it. It can't really be that hard. I have disdain for date stamps, I ask.. why can't you?

Why does a select group of collectors expect the rest of the comic collecting world to cater to them? I just don't understand that. You don't like pressing, ask about it. It can't really be that hard. I have disdain for date stamps, I ask.. why can't you?

"a select group"

: to relegate to an unimportant or powerless position within a society or group

— mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

:cloud9:

For any number or reasons:

1-Pressers/sellers do not see that anything has been done to the book that needs to be disclosed

2-ITs not restoration in their eyes so what needs to be disclosed

Are two off the top of my head

They may not but some of their potential buyers do. That's the crux of the issue here. It's not what they think but rather who they're selling to. It's called customer service...

And to answer your previous question, one reason sellers don't want to proactively disclose is the fear it may impact sales whether that's a fact or not. What they're missing, or not, is they're eliminating a portion of their potential customer base by applying this philosophy.

Now I've heard they'd rather not deal with those who care about pressing. Too much of a problem. But personally, I've NEVER given one problem to any of the sellers I've dealt with on the Forum, and they are way too many to count, in concluding a sale. Always paid promptly, and I've spent at least a couple thousand on this Forum in the last year, and rarely said a word when the comics weren't to my liking (luckily that has happened rarely as well). I bet there are far more grade picky buyers on this Forum that would cause far more problems than I.

Bottomline: I'd gladly buy from the pro-pressers if they'd just identify the damn pressed comics. Since they don't, I don't bother. Maybe my loss but I also feel they're missing out on my money as well...and that's not good business sense in my opinion...

Jim

Nick, i think waiting for global acceptance of proactive disclosure is a waste of time. You have the knowledge and the power, all you have to do is use it. Ask. And from my personal experience you do use it. I feel the true crux of the matter is not forcing those who are aware of pressing but refuse to proactively disclose to change their ways but, instead, it is to educate those who are not aware of pressing. And that is also the easier battle to win. These threads do that in a small way. I hope you also discuss it with all of your clients. You might not like to hear this, but Matt Nelson, by advertising his services, does more to advance the awareness of pressing than those who are against it. Obviously he does not advance it in the way some here would want it advanced but he does put it out there.

That is the true direction we should be moving. Edcuating the collector and return the power to them.

They may not but some of their potential buyers do. That's the crux of the issue here. It's not what they think but rather who they're selling to. It's called customer service...

I agree 100% with this. (thumbs u

I let the customer choose to deal with me or not, based on the way I represent my biz.

When that customer chooses to deal with me, I then try and give them the customer service I believe want from me.

From what I have seen, a large % of people choose to deal with me and a large % of them like my customer service as well as the comic books. OA, & comic related stuff that I provide.

If I lose .01 % of the customer base in our hobby, I can't worry about it.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

why is it when someone confronts/points out the "just ask" angle, you automatically reply with something like this?

You are in a select group. But you have the power to ask and because you have that power and ability, the definition that you toss out is nto germane to the argument. In short, its a crutch and not worth the ether that it is being transmitted across

I let the customer choose to deal with me or not, based on the way I represent my biz.

When that customer chooses to deal with me, I then try and give them the customer service I believe want from me.

From what I have seen, a large % of people choose to deal with me and a large % of them like my customer service as well as the comic books. OA, & comic related stuff that I provide.

True...but if you're selling comics in the Forum Marketplace, I'd say the percentage is much more than .01%.

Jim

True...but if you're selling comics in the Forum Marketplace, I'd say the percentage is much more than .01%.

Jim

I move MOST of my comics outside the market place. You really can't sell a big book here for great money, hell, I put reasonably priced books up here, they pass, and I sell them somewhere else for more. I know that happens too many people in the market place. I like giving our community 1st shot at many books, but I do not give them first shot on all, far from it.

Ask, Joe, Mike, Stephen, and others on the board who have seen my house, I have thousands of comic books. I sell to many people who have known me for last year all the way to friends I have known for 20 years. My website is about ready for a test run and I sell on ebay (opened a store last night, one item up :blush: ). I also sell through consignment sites.

This is a very little pond I, and I believe you, like to hang out, talk, and make friends in. The "real" hobby has thousands and thousands of people in it.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

why is it when someone confronts/points out the "just ask" angle, you automatically reply with something like this?

You are in a select group. But you have the power to ask and because you have that power and ability, the definition that you toss out is nto germane to the argument. In short, its a crutch and not worth the ether that it is being transmitted across

I'm a proponent of proactive disclosure. I believe that structural manipulation should be disclosed upfront.

My stance isn't complicated.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

I'm a proponent of proactive disclosure. I believe that structural manipulation should be disclosed upfront.

My stance isn't complicated.

No, but his question must have been. He asked why use something like you did when someone points the "just ask" angle. He already KNEW what you believe.