• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,894 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Got this in late last week. 

Not at all thrilled with the page quality, I really try not to go below OW/WT and for that reason initially passed on this when I saw it first pop up for sale on one site. 

About a month later it went up for sale again on another site for about the same price. This site noted that holder has some scuffing. Maybe that’s why the first buyer didn’t want it. There’s also some slight bending to the top edge and left corner of the back cover. Don’t know if that was pre- or post-slabbing. 

But it’s one of my all-time favorite books and the centering and alignment of the wrap and cover is perfect. And the price was right, so if I ever find an upgrade fine, but in the mean time I think it will suit me fine. 

256A3301-80EF-4A23-8A45-A0BE5B08F753.thumb.jpeg.78f57984547c092df1c577e7947589e5.jpeg

I agree it looks nice and congrats! It does seem to have part of the bottom showing, which might be the MicroChanmber paper, that also might could be tapped back under the cover. I'm agreeing in that it STILL looks great, as I have similar with the paper also showing. For the life of me I can't remember which book, but I'm glad your happy. The devil is in the details, but if the price and so on is :x then we can be glad!

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree it looks nice and congrats! It does seem to have part of the bottom showing, which might be the MicroChanmber paper, that also might could be tapped back under the cover. I'm agreeing in that it STILL looks great, as I have similar with the paper also showing. For the life of me I can't remember which book, but I'm glad your happy. The devil is in the details, but if the price and so on is :x then we can be glad!

Yeah, it’s the MicroChamber paper sticking out. 

Normally, I don’t obsess too much over the case having minor scuffs but there’s enough on this one that it does affect the appearance a bit. For example it looks like there’s color loss on the DC logo in the picture but it’s actually a scuff.  So I may get it reholdered. 

Kinda tempted to see if I can get those bends on the back pressed out but I don’t think it would result in a grade bump...and considering how CGC’s grading lately even the improvement may result in a grade drop. 

So yeah, maybe just a re-holder. 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, Number 6 said:

Got this in late last week. 

Not at all thrilled with the page quality, I really try not to go below OW/WT and for that reason initially passed on this when I saw it first pop up for sale on one site. 

About a month later it went up for sale again on another site for about the same price. This site noted that holder has some scuffing. Maybe that’s why the first buyer didn’t want it. There’s also some slight bending to the top edge and left corner of the back cover. Don’t know if that was pre- or post-slabbing. 

But it’s one of my all-time favorite books and the centering and alignment of the wrap and cover is perfect. And the price was right, so if I ever find an upgrade fine, but in the mean time I think it will suit me fine. 

256A3301-80EF-4A23-8A45-A0BE5B08F753.thumb.jpeg.78f57984547c092df1c577e7947589e5.jpeg

Really nice copy. I console myself about page quality by reminding me that I am really just collecting covers at this point when I buy graded. I love the Wrightson Swamp Things. Very first run I collected when I began collecting again. That there is a beaut!

3 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Lovely copy, where did you get it? 

Believe it or not I got it off of ebay :) 

It looked like a decent copy at a decent price, so I took a swing at it.

6 hours ago, speedcake said:
On 1/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Believe it or not I got it off of ebay :) 

It looked like a decent copy at a decent price, so I took a swing at it.

You bought it raw off ebay and slabbed it? if so, grats! nicely done

No I bought it already graded. I see how I made it sound, but it was more the pics weren't great so I took a swing

Seller didn't have a scanner built for slabs so the pics were half and half on his scanner, if that makes sense. I've bought blurry pics before that didn't turn out so great lol

But it said 9.8 so it turned out ok, this time. :tink:

4 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Not sure what the census reads, but I always found that ASM 96 hard to find in high grade.  

there are less than 250 in 9.2 or higher, but 108 alone in 9.0, 8.5 has the most graded copies :foryou: 

Still I have like a 6.0 National Diamond Insert #97 and a 7.5 #98, so this 8.5 #96 fits into my collecting habits......... I'm happy I think lol 

image.thumb.png.a7631b43843d6962bec3bc5e466d379d.png

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

there are less than 250 in 9.2 or higher, but 108 alone in 9.0, 8.5 has the most graded copies :foryou: 

Still I have like a 6.0 National Diamond Insert #97 and a 7.5 #98, so this 8.5 #96 fits into my collecting habits......... I'm happy I think lol 

image.thumb.png.a7631b43843d6962bec3bc5e466d379d.png

Yes, I looked quickly this morning at that.  Seems like there were a lot more issue 97 in high grade than 96.  

Yes, it is a nice copy.  I think mine was probably somewhere in that range.