• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,888 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Jayman tuned me into these, a run of 5 ... this cover to # 5 is autographed by the artist, M.W. Kaluta :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I vividly remember #5 on the spinner rack at the local U-Tote-Em ... Incredible art.

38 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

xD really?

were you being tongue-in-cheek and teasing the guy, or do you really care what he buys?

Truthfully, it reminded me of the Robin Williams joke: "Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money."

I get loving a key. Buying an IH 181 in every grade? No. Buying an HOS 92 in every grade?No.

Of course anyone can buy whatever they want. Just buying a key in every grade reminds me of the Robin Williams joke.

48 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Truthfully, it reminded me of the Robin Williams joke: "Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money."

I get loving a key. Buying an IH 181 in every grade? No. Buying an HOS 92 in every grade?No.

Of course anyone can buy whatever they want. Just buying a key in every grade reminds me of the Robin Williams joke.

Fair enough my man.(thumbsu

On 5/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, Randall Ries said:

Buying the same key ad-nauseum is a sign you have too much money.

It also a sign that I know the prices for this book inside and out, thus can recognize a VERY good epic deal when one gets listed without having to do hours of pricing research. Buying another copy of this book for a great price is the same as buying another key for the same amount (but might not be as good a deal as I know this one will be). 

If you had an AF15 already but kept managing to find some being sold locally for half of their GPA values, would you pass on them because you already owned a copy? :D I'm not actively hunting these down and trying to get every grade number, but rather am primed to spot a deal from a thousand paces.

Edited by Sauce Dog

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

It also a sign that I know the prices for this book inside and out, thus can recognize a VERY good epic deal when one gets listed without having to do hours of pricing research. Buying another copy of this book for a great price is the same as buying another key for the same amount (but might not be as good a deal as I know this one will be). 

If you had an AF15 already but kept managing to find some being sold locally for half of their GPA values, would you pass on them because you already owned a copy? :D I'm not actively hunting these down and trying to get every grade number, but rather am primed to spot a deal from a thousand paces.

Admittedly, I'm the same way. lolI tend to buy multiple copies of certain books. In some cases, its because I see a certain book's potential long term and I'll buy nice copies when I see them but there's also the scenario where I love a certain character and I just hoard them. I can see why some would not see a point to collecting that way. One could put those funds that are going towards extra copies, into other books on their want list instead. I guess at the end of the day, it just comes down to what works for each individual collector. :insane:

small books I hoarded in the past. 

X-Factor 92 (I'd imagine most of you are laughing already) I like Exodus. (thumbsu

Batman Arkham Knight 1 (I liked the design of the Arkham Knight)

Young Avengers 1 WWLA (bought these years back)

Astonishing Tales 25 (faith in Deathlok)

What if Planet Hulk 1 (Skaar)

One day, I'll end up on the show "Hoarders" :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Personally? If I found someone selling an HOS 92 in mid high grade for a couple hundred, I'd be stupid not to buy it. Otherwise? I would pass. I don't collect with a view to resell. Whenever I try that, I end up reselling for cost after fees and tax and it's a giant hassle for me to boot. I haven't noticed any deals when it comes to this book. Most LCS's I visit are loaded with copper/moderns. They get books like this in and they charge whatever the market is asking. Just because they don't get many. So, I guess you are seated in a good place if you are finding deals on HOS 92's and AF 15's. I would also venture a perhaps INCORRECT guess that you may be in tight with someone and they offer you a percentage over wholesale as they are probably buying collections for a third of market value. Typically, I have seen ZERO deals in the regular marketplace for HOS 92. One guy wants $13k for an SS 9.0. I asked him his bottom line and he said $8k. Is that a "deal"? Still $8k I could spend on something I DON'T have.

The only duplicates I buy are an SS counterpart to one I already own. As I say, people can buy whatever they like. When I see pictures of a collector displaying his 20 copies of IH 181 and says he is only 2 grades away from completing that collection, well that's nice. I assume he/she is a collector of other books as well. And if you can afford to buy 50 copies of IH 181 in varying grades, it implies either the collector has the bucks to do it with or they are in the "biz" and can score good deals from their pals. Especially now when HOS 92 is set at an outlandish price since the death of Bernie Wrightson. So, unless people are in tight in the "biz" or are ripping the ignorant off, I don't see any other way of getting graded HOS 92's for a "sweet deal." Which cause me to conclude the buyer has more than enough money to become "eccentric" in their comic book buying habits. It's only something I ponder and isn't meant as a criticism. Do whatever you like.

53 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Personally? If I found someone selling an HOS 92 in mid high grade for a couple hundred, I'd be stupid not to buy it. Otherwise? I would pass. I don't collect with a view to resell. Whenever I try that, I end up reselling for cost after fees and tax and it's a giant hassle for me to boot. I haven't noticed any deals when it comes to this book. Most LCS's I visit are loaded with copper/moderns. They get books like this in and they charge whatever the market is asking. Just because they don't get many. So, I guess you are seated in a good place if you are finding deals on HOS 92's and AF 15's. I would also venture a perhaps INCORRECT guess that you may be in tight with someone and they offer you a percentage over wholesale as they are probably buying collections for a third of market value. Typically, I have seen ZERO deals in the regular marketplace for HOS 92. One guy wants $13k for an SS 9.0. I asked him his bottom line and he said $8k. Is that a "deal"? Still $8k I could spend on something I DON'T have.

The only duplicates I buy are an SS counterpart to one I already own. As I say, people can buy whatever they like. When I see pictures of a collector displaying his 20 copies of IH 181 and says he is only 2 grades away from completing that collection, well that's nice. I assume he/she is a collector of other books as well. And if you can afford to buy 50 copies of IH 181 in varying grades, it implies either the collector has the bucks to do it with or they are in the "biz" and can score good deals from their pals. Especially now when HOS 92 is set at an outlandish price since the death of Bernie Wrightson. So, unless people are in tight in the "biz" or are ripping the ignorant off, I don't see any other way of getting graded HOS 92's for a "sweet deal." Which cause me to conclude the buyer has more than enough money to become "eccentric" in their comic book buying habits. It's only something I ponder and isn't meant as a criticism. Do whatever you like.

I love the energy here regarding buying duplicates while also admitting to buying duplicates, as if an SS version is now somehow a different case scenario. It is the same key, just now with a different qualifier on it ;)

I collect for myself but only sometimes with an eye to re-sell, though that is limited to books that are such an obvious value flip I would be silly not to. You see a mega deal, and know full well what you can do with it with a little effort, then you jump on it. You stick with what you know (for me that's House of Secrets 92 and half dozen More Fun Comics) and that means you won't get burned (If someone LOVES Hulk 181 that's all they need to love. Appreciating one issue and collecting it exclusively is just the same as collecting an equal amount of other Wolverine issues. They can afford it, or they have decided that book is worth converting their other keys into)

I wouldn't go tossing around the idea people are only getting deals because they are ripping people off. I would expand your search outside of LCS, as you say they will charge what the GPA and market are showing, and as they should since they are in a position to do so and have more costs to account for. I scour local facebook and other marketplaces (including estate sales), and if something pops up I can immediately recognize a deal. Most sellers are not major collectors or flippers, they just want to move a key that is now worth something with as little hassle as possible (so selling it local, avoid shipping and any transaction fees) and maybe turn that new money into another key they have always dreamed of. I do this all the time, reducing the prices of my books considerably just so I can sell it locally (I hate shipping expensive books, especially now, so if I knock off a few hundred bucks to get someone with cash down the street from me I'll happily do it.)

You would be correct in assuming your guess is incorrect :) All different local sellers, with the only repeat sellers I haggle with being those on these boards (who know their stuff, and I'm less inclined to haggle here when someone tells me what they want for a book as I know they have done their research)