• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,895 posts in this topic

I can't bear to start another Boston report, so I'm just going to post my loot here. Far and away my best find of the weekend was a super-sweet copy of Weird Wonder Tales 2 I picked up out of a bargain bin. You see #1 lots, but #2 seems much more difficult in grade. Too bad it's already lost in depths of my collection. I have no idea where I put it, but will try to dig it out tomorrow.

Here's everything else.

The Flinstones 1 is probably the nicest copy I've seen (the scan does not do it justice -I'm not sure why my scanner made the pages look brownish--they're super-white), and the price was right.

IMG-10.jpg

Then, while Nik was examining a spectacular Marvel Premier 15 (I think that's what it was), I picked up this tough, tough book. Some minor storage rubs, but clearly unread. Traded a handful of 20 cent Caps and a few buck for this. I honestly have never seen this and always wondered about what it looked liked.

IMG_0001-7-1.jpg

Coincidentally, I then picked these solid copies from Hot Flips (sorry for the sloppy scans but I'm dead on my feet right now).

IMG_0003-7.jpg

IMG_0002-6.jpg

IMG_0004-6.jpg

IMG_0005-6.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

Let's start the day by inflicting more funny books on everyone. Here's a BA rarity that I picked up off ebay. Truly tough. Sulipa and Overstreet consider it a digest. I think the Charlton digests (all impossible to find) start blurring the line between digest and paperback and I'm on the fence as to which they are. Regardless, they are impossible and this one has tremendous crossover demand from crazy Scooby collectors.

Anyway, this allegedly NM bargain ($5) was shipped wrapped in one sheet of newspaper, in a manila envelope. Sadly, it definitely suffered some wear and tear on the trip. I hate to be malicious, but I'm going to zing the seller on this one.

IMG-11.jpg

It could have been of Ewert origin as the trim is very slick or whatever the word would be. I bought it raw at MegaCon from the same dealer who sold a CT raw Hero for Hire 1 to me. Double whammy. Oh well.

Never saw pence copies of those before. Neat.

Here's some more non-spandex fare. These copies are so far above average condition for these books, yet it's still impossible to find anything VF+ or better. I'm determined to finish a set of these from the 70's, but unfortunately it means collecting a few issues of complete drek, like Wacky Witch and Cracky (maybe the new mascot for our polls?)

IMG_0001-10.jpgIMG_0004-8.jpgIMG_0003-10.jpg

IMG_0002-9.jpgIMG_0005-8.jpgIMG_0006-6.jpgIMG_0008-5.jpg

IMG_0009-3.jpg

Here is one I just got back from the slab factory last week:

BATMAN.jpg

You have to love that cover. Do you think they (DC) guided Neal and Bernie about what to put on the covers or did they just tell them, " be yourselves and draw something great"?

Great question, Dover. Perhaps the Boards have an answer.

Here is another one about the 241: any idea what the division of duties was on that cover between Neal & Bernie?

Here is one I just got back from the slab factory last week:

BATMAN.jpg

You have to love that cover. Do you think they (DC) guided Neal and Bernie about what to put on the covers or did they just tell them, " be yourselves and draw something great"?

Outstanding books Dover.

Neal Adams daughter was drawn on the cover of HOM 186 (Pan Story).

He often submitted many ideas on his own.

Rejected covers for Phantom Stranger and HOM.

732osg.jpg

Also, check out this blog.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/neal_adams/

"When I stopped by, Mannarino had just paid $115,000 for a full 22-page story drawn by Adams and inked by the brilliant Berni Wrightson. Yes, you read that number right. "And someone has already offered me a $140,000 for it," Mannarino said, clearly torn about whether to part company so quickly with such a rare find.

"It's the only time Wrightson ever inked Adams, I believe," Mannarino said of the issue, "Green Lantern" No. 84, circa 1971. (The purchase did not include the cover, which is pictured above, but I love the work of Adams so much i thought I would share it with you.)"

Neal Adams daughter was drawn on the cover of HOM 186 (Pan Story).

He often submitted many ideas on his own.

Rejected covers for Phantom Stranger and HOM.

732osg.jpg

Also, check out this blog.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/neal_adams/

"When I stopped by, Mannarino had just paid $115,000 for a full 22-page story drawn by Adams and inked by the brilliant Berni Wrightson. Yes, you read that number right. "And someone has already offered me a $140,000 for it," Mannarino said, clearly torn about whether to part company so quickly with such a rare find.

"It's the only time Wrightson ever inked Adams, I believe," Mannarino said of the issue, "Green Lantern" No. 84, circa 1971. (The purchase did not include the cover, which is pictured above, but I love the work of Adams so much i thought I would share it with you.)"

Very cool, I'll have to pick this book up. I love these boards, always learning more.