• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,865 posts in this topic

Here's my haul from the holiday weekend. Who needs to keep looking at the same DC's and Marvel hero books? Some killer Charltons, DC Romance, a sweet Archie giant and more. From one of my favorite stores that I only get to visit a couple times a year. I can't decide if I'm missing out on books the rest of year, or they don't move for the owner and I'm the only one interested. They all ranged in price from $3-$7, and were all undergraded as VG's.

First, a few sweet Haunted Loves from Charlton. One Sutton cover, and I've never seen the 8 in anything close to HG before.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Couldn't believe these two copies of Girl's Love. The 180 is just gorgeous and I've only ever seen one nicer copy (Greggy picked it up in SD last year). The 178, however, is spectacular. A 9.2 for sure. (I'd argue that counts as spectacular for 20 cent DC romance).

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

For some reason I love Archies from 1973 and 1974 with the circle in the ULC. This might end up being my undercopy, I just have to find the one I picked up at Wizard Philly last year.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

This is probably just a F+, but it is gorgeous. Super gloss, and just an accumulation of non-breaking storage wear. I couldn't pass it up, even though it was probably a bit overpriced even at half off.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

A super-tough HG black cover 20 cent Phantom. Always liked this cover and have never found a nice copy.

IMG-1.jpg

And lastly, a nice sharp DC 25 center.

IMG_0005-1.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

Thanks, JohnT. You might get a kick out the Charlton below. I love finding the Charlton animated titles in grade. They are super tough, and are actually well done, with many featuring Ray Dirgo covers. Unfortunately, too many collectors are cluing in on how difficult they are, and HG copies are often going for around $30 on ebay.

Anyway, I went to the always great local Chelmsford, MA show to deliver glasses to some store owners and talk to GACollectibles. After a bit, I decided to scrounge the bargain bins. Found most of these for $3-6, with the Tecs and Bats going for $10. All are super glossy, and in general range from 8.5-9.4. Sweet, sweet books.

By the way, I know a lot of board members could give a rat's arse about some of these books, but I love them. In my mind the BA is the last great age of comics, when primarily kids bought them, when they were passed around the neighborhood to be read and re-read, and weren't all "investments". And, as a collector, the non-Marvel/DC books are usually the only challenging ones from the period.

Anyway, here we go.

Always a fave cover:

IMG_0011.jpg

I had bought another Tec, until GACollectibles pointed out that I have Joeypost issues and can no longer see. Missed a freakin' tape pull in the center of an otherwise gorgeous cover.

A fave Batman cover

IMG_0008-1.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Looks like I lifted the lid on the scanner a second too early on this one. The bottom edge is sharp as can be. A beautiful glossy Charlton.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG-2.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

Jeff Jones (worship)

:whistle:

Umm Shouldn't s/he be now known as Catherine?

This may have been covered in earlier posts re Jones but I haven't seen them. I'd love to see a Jones graphic novel of Jones' life.

Thanks for sharing - I did not know that about Jeff C. Jones.

By the way, I know a lot of board members could give a rat's arse about some of these books, but I love them. In my mind the BA is the last great age of comics, when primarily kids bought them, when they were passed around the neighborhood to be read and re-read, and weren't all "investments". And, as a collector, the non-Marvel/DC books are usually the only challenging ones from the period.

Anyway, here we go.

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Love all the books, especially these two! Nice collection! (thumbs u

The below book has one of the most singularly bizarre Archie stories from the swinging 1970's. Archie is lured into a gas station by a gaggle of mini-skirt and leather boot wearing hotties (much to Veronica's dismay) who tend to bend over flashing their undergarments in an attempt to seduce him into spending all of his hard earned money on auto maintenance. I kid you not. I can't imagine how this was published.

IMG_0005.jpg

I don't believe you - prove it! :baiting:

:juggle:

Today's loot. Picked this up from Superworld while there for a "store"-warming. I've always loved this cover, and this a sharp, sharp copy.

IMG-3.jpg

:o Nice.

Thanks. Some nice BA grey-tone. The thing I've always loved about this cover is that, besides its general level of coolness, it's an Ernie Chua/Chan, yet looks nothing like his work. Just a great creepy cover.

Today's loot. Picked this up from Superworld while there for a "store"-warming. I've always loved this cover, and this a sharp, sharp copy.

IMG-3.jpg

:o Nice.

Thanks. Some nice BA grey-tone. The thing I've always loved about this cover is that, besides its general level of coolness, it's an Ernie Chua/Chan, yet looks nothing like his work. Just a great creepy cover.

That cover really looks like Jack Sparling to me. It totally doesn't look like Chan, but he may have had instructions to make it look a certain way.