• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Called CGC 2 days ago 12/12/12 because my status, on 5 submitted books, was in "Graded" status and I couldn't view my grades!!! They told me they changed their system and that you can no longer see your grade until the comics have been shipped & also because they are training graders. That sux because I don't want some new guy grading my books.

More concerns,

Invoice date was 11/30/12. Submitted Modern fast track 10 day turn around. Today is the 10th day if you count after the 30th of Nov. and the 11th day if you count the day of the 30th of Nov.

Are you counting the weekends as business days? Wrong.

Now how come they haven't shipped my books?!?!?!? I have submitted over 27 books and never have I had to wait so long to see my grade. It's Friday and my books are still in "graded" status. When they clearly should be in the shipped/safe status. Now I have to wait until Monday or longer!!!! NOT F******* FAIR

I feel the cgc is backed up and if so, then good I'm glad they are hiring but now they need someone to back up there system and change the current turnaround!!!!

You need to get a life.

If I was counting the weekends then it would be 14 days stupid!! You need to learn how to count I think they taught me that in elementary school.

Gees man, it's your Birthday. Relax and enjoy it. (thumbs u

Thank you I will enjoy it. I'm sorry to act this way I'm better than that. I see my flaws and I apologize, so now my side of the street is swept. There are far too many things to worry about in my life than a few books being graded. I'm having a great birthday. I was just kind of venting, because I was reading a few other boardies having issues with grades and such. Just a little vent doesn't hurt anyone.

This person, Calling is most likely a shill by the name of Harold. He's not worth repliying to. If you check his past posts, you will see what I mean.

It does sound like Matt Nelson. I have no idea why the guy would be such a wanker about keeping the identity a secret. By not revealing the source he just looks like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, Because if it's not Matt Nelson, or a Steve Borok, the individual would unlikely survive the scrutiny of the board. If it is his case demands a greater deal of credibility. Matt is not chopped liver as an "expert".

That being said, we all bash CGC about how long grading takes and whatever other problems exist. Yet, getting my grades is rarely a joyous experince. In over 2000 books, my grades have been about a half grade lower than I expected. That includes many serious mis, a few upside surprises, but mostly just books that are off by 1/2 a grade or so. Invariably I am pretty dissapointed.

Two takeaways:

1) I send much my decent stuff to Matt Nelson and get his estimate. He does this almost more than anybody. But you have to remember, he is estimating a grade with regard to what it MIGHT be after pressing. He does not offer opinions on books AFTER they are pressed. Overall, he is pretty darn good though.

2) When you have graded as many books as I have and read other comments like this, it makes you realize the value of buying comics already graded..

When you take the time and trouble as well as money into account, unless you have a very long investment period (thankfuly I do), it's hardly worth it to buy books, get them pressed, send them for grading and then wait 2-6 months only to still have weeping and gnashing of teeth!

Absolutly CGC grading is far and off from realistic grading. If you search my thread history you will find out that my ASM #300 I got for $20 should of been a 8.0 or AT LEAST 8.5 (This is what most people thought just by pictures alone), mainly because of the massive over hang of the cover, and some stress on the spine, but when sent in for SS CCG it actually came back a 9.0 or a 9.2...can't remember. 

Then I had some other books sent in RAW expecting less then steller grades, but actually turned out better then I had thought! Good thing I was not a grader at CGC, i'd have graded your books lower then they actually was. With a more then not on the target grading. 

*Only posting here in a 8 year old thread because of other people. And CGC Rocks....?* 

**And if you are actually good, you can get pretty accurate grades by pics alone. This is why we do not work for CGC. 

On 11/28/2008 at 6:03 PM, akanni23 said:

I thought about that but out of 7 ...4 missed grades but the other 3 made grade and one went from a 9.6+ to a 9.8. I will just put it like this the 3 that came back at 9.8 are not worth half of what the number 1 and number 4 are. I believe and this is just IMHO that undergrading is going on on the rare Watchmen books. But, since I can not prove anything and everyone wants to blame the grader or shipping I will just keep my books safe at home and maybe one day, the powers that be will decide to get serious about grading and establish a drop off and pick up point so there will be no excuses. As I have said before I have complete faith in my grader. But, I have heard enough horror stories about CGC. Out of 7 books 4 are way off? I do not buy that at all not with one coming back higher than expected. I believe rare issues are being graded harsher or something is wrong. There has to be away to prove that a book you send in is the book you receive back. It tells a lot about CGC that they have not found a solution for this yet. Or maybe they are not concerned about it.

I’ve noticed that lately, the higher value the book l send in (to Sig Series), the lower the grade. This, despite my being all the more careful about what l submit. Plus, regardless of grade, no grader notes.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:29 AM, G-MANIII said:

I’ve noticed that lately, the higher value the book l send in (to Sig Series), the lower the grade. This, despite my being all the more careful about what l submit. Plus, regardless of grade, no grader notes.

If your book gets lower than a 9.4, you're likely to get notes.

On 11/28/2008 at 5:45 PM, akanni23 said:

Seven of my Watchmen books were graded by a well respected grader:

If we continue to let comic book grading be the Wild Wild West, we are going to end up with a joke of an industry on the brink of failure like in the 90's. An expert in grading should be right most of the time. We have to stop this send it in blind grading that has has been proven over and over to be faulty. I am so upset with this because, I believe these grades are unfair and in order to even try to get them changed I have to spend more money.

I hate to rant but does anyone understand what i am going through? I have a Watchmen #1 and #4 that an expert tells me are a 9.8 not a 9.8- not a 9.6+ but a solid 9.8. I get both back at 9.4's. Please do not beat me up on this but how do I even know these are the books I sent?

I believe my grader, I believe his grades on the money.

Out of 7 books he gets 4 wrong. way wrong? I do not agree with that. But, the bigger problem is, it is all opinion. Instead of so black and white why why not have a 9.8+, 9.8- and 9.8? I am not sending anymore books to the CGC. I can not keep spending money on "hope" or "moods" or things could get damaged during shipping all these excuses. If CGC really wants to establish themselves as the future. Why not train people and let them grade books in locations all over th country with a drop off and pick up. Instead of a few people sitting in a room at one location. There are only about 151 Watchmen 9.8 in existence right now. My grader told me mine was a 9.8 it came back a 9.4. CGC says this expert grader missed 4 out of 7. Now, why would I send any more books to CGC when I can figure out why I got the grade I have. A miss of 1 or 2 maybe... but 4 is too many for me. Nobody's right, nobody's wrong... it is just the wild wild west of comics and we are supposed to shell out big bucks for an opinion.

I do not think I will be a part of it and I do not see a future for this type of manipulation either.

Thanks for listening to me rant, now I am going to start enjoying books again instead of spending money to cast them in an opinionated cell.

grading is subjective. i have seen books that i felt they under graded . It is what it is.

I am in the school of thought you will not be happy every time out.

But if not for CGC the prices on the raw comics might be much lower.

In my 40 years of collecting the way to trust a comic grader is by his selling experience and results in the overall big picture.

One bonus with cgc you can see there results in quicker times. it gives you the person a valid chance to judge them on orders going in and coming back out.

check the graders notes what they took off for.

and to say a comic is a 9.8 nm/mint is super hard to predict