• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Please do not beat me up on this but how do I even know these are the books I sent?

I missed this line from his opening paragraph the first time... this was a gem. :applause:

But in fairness, this fellow was a model of restraint compared to the current loon in General.

I'll tell you though, I had a discussion about the same issue with some people at a local store and they were insistent that this is ow CGC stayed in business--making copies of the covers people sent, and selling the real ones elsewhere. It was about as stupid as you could find.

Which one? The one in Newington or Bristol?

i love threads started by loons. I almost want to create a shill just to act like i think the x-men are real and live in my closet. Oh, and they are expert graders too. Kitty being the best at picking out 9.8's.

1st off, lol

Secondly, I agree. Threads started by lunatics are the most fun evah!

word. Someone who has the gumption should start a thread with links showcasing the top loons of the boards over the last decade. hm

Please do not beat me up on this but how do I even know these are the books I sent?

I missed this line from his opening paragraph the first time... this was a gem. :applause:

But in fairness, this fellow was a model of restraint compared to the current loon in General.

I'll tell you though, I had a discussion about the same issue with some people at a local store and they were insistent that this is ow CGC stayed in business--making copies of the covers people sent, and selling the real ones elsewhere. It was about as stupid as you could find.

Newington. Bristol uses PGX because it's cheaper and has a quicker turn around. I've explained to them a few times that PGX actually lowers the prices garnered but I guess they have a few loyal eBay customers so it hasn't really been an issue for them. I'm bummed though as Bristol hasn't had any new collections in almost 2 years now--no new back issues = little room for me to purchase :(

Edited by Mac Man

Newington. Bristol uses PGX because it's cheaper and has a quicker turn around. I've explained to them a few times that PGX actually lowers the prices garnered but I guess they have a few loyal eBay customers so it hasn't really been an issue for them. I'm bummed though as Bristol hasn't had any new collections in almost 2 years now--no new back issues = little room for me to purchase :(

I haven't been to either store in forever. Both were on my weekly visit route several years ago :(

Did you ever make it down to Cave Comics? Worth the trip if not.

The huge difference in pricing between a 9.4, 9.8 and 9.9 is based on this very fact, that it is MUCH harder to get a book in 9.8 condition. Wolverine #1 in 9.8 is under $100 but for a 9.9 you are going to fork out close to $2,000 just because so few books are given this elite grade. Putting the grade on makes these books a commodity, not just collectibles. LIke everyone else said, if you are getting books back that aren't the grade you expect, or that your expert expects it's not the fault of the CGC. I see no reason they would have to limit the amount of books they grade at a certain condition. When you consider how delicate a comic book really is a grade of 9.8 or better SHOULD be very rare just by their nature.

If you don't collect the books for the grade but for your own enjoyment then why such frustration over a 9.4 vs a 9.8 if they are just as nice in your opinion then be happy with that. If you want true 9.8s then either buy them already graded (which you should be able to do if you are paying a pro grader to look at your books, then pay for them to go to cgc, etc $300 is not exactly a huge chunk of money for something so important to you)

I just sent off my first batch of books and I tried to make my best guess on the grades before I sent them. When they come back I'll see how close I got, if I'm off I'll know better what CGC is looking for and try to adjust my grading to comply. Your call for standards is right on, but I think CGC is it! They are the accepted standard and their value only increases as more collectors comply to those standards. Calling for wider grading and alleging conspiracy does more harm to the industry more than any 9.4 ever could.

;)

The huge difference in pricing between a 9.4, 9.8 and 9.9 is based on this very fact, that it is MUCH harder to get a book in 9.8 condition. Wolverine #1 in 9.8 is under $100 but for a 9.9 you are going to fork out close to $2,000 just because so few books are given this elite grade. Putting the grade on makes these books a commodity, not just collectibles. LIke everyone else said, if you are getting books back that aren't the grade you expect, or that your expert expects it's not the fault of the CGC. I see no reason they would have to limit the amount of books they grade at a certain condition. When you consider how delicate a comic book really is a grade of 9.8 or better SHOULD be very rare just by their nature.

If you don't collect the books for the grade but for your own enjoyment then why such frustration over a 9.4 vs a 9.8 if they are just as nice in your opinion then be happy with that. If you want true 9.8s then either buy them already graded (which you should be able to do if you are paying a pro grader to look at your books, then pay for them to go to cgc, etc $300 is not exactly a huge chunk of money for something so important to you)

I just sent off my first batch of books and I tried to make my best guess on the grades before I sent them. When they come back I'll see how close I got, if I'm off I'll know better what CGC is looking for and try to adjust my grading to comply. Your call for standards is right on, but I think CGC is it! They are the accepted standard and their value only increases as more collectors comply to those standards. Calling for wider grading and alleging conspiracy does more harm to the industry more than any 9.4 ever could.

;)

Well put my friend! WTTB

I know this has most likely already been said, but I read posts like these over and over again and the posters keep saying "CGC says my grader/I got this wrong" but what we all have to understand is that CGCs grades are not law. They are a well-respected opinion. You don't like CGC? Fine, don't send comics to them!

All I have to say is that most of the books I've submitted have come back graded HIGHER than what I've graded them....

Well then, you should complain. rantrant Obviously, they aren't doing it right.

;)

Thanks for the comments,

I know that people may see things a little different but a solid est. of 9.8 downgraded to 9.4 not once but twice in the same set is not good. I paid an expert to help me because I am not a comic book grader. As far a learning, do you think I can learn from this guy when he is 43% accurate. Let me put it this way if grading is not a science then it would be a good idea to work to make it more like one. Because it sure is not art, you get hundreds of books in front of you and you should be consistant in your grading and pass that consistantcy on to the people who work under you. If you go to your job and you perform at 43% what would happen. Try going to work and being on time 43% of the time or getting your work done at a 43% rate. How many Watchmen #1 are out there graded at 9.8 or better by CGC? Well, my books came from my collection and they had never been in the system before. Maybe my with a 9.8 on my book it would have been too much for the good old CGC. I send in a Watchmen #1,4,8,3,11,12 est. at 9.8 and a #10 at 9.6. The 1,4,8,3 come back lower than expected and the 10, comes back higher. I am also tired of the shipping excuse, people send things way more fragile than comics and they make it just fine. I believe and expert in the industry knows how to ship a box.

A baseball playe that was succesful at bat 43% of the time would be a gazillionaire.

Thanks for the comments,

I know that people may see things a little different but a solid est. of 9.8 downgraded to 9.4 not once but twice in the same set is not good. I paid an expert to help me because I am not a comic book grader. As far a learning, do you think I can learn from this guy when he is 43% accurate. Let me put it this way if grading is not a science then it would be a good idea to work to make it more like one. Because it sure is not art, you get hundreds of books in front of you and you should be consistant in your grading and pass that consistantcy on to the people who work under you. If you go to your job and you perform at 43% what would happen. Try going to work and being on time 43% of the time or getting your work done at a 43% rate. How many Watchmen #1 are out there graded at 9.8 or better by CGC? Well, my books came from my collection and they had never been in the system before. Maybe my with a 9.8 on my book it would have been too much for the good old CGC. I send in a Watchmen #1,4,8,3,11,12 est. at 9.8 and a #10 at 9.6. The 1,4,8,3 come back lower than expected and the 10, comes back higher. I am also tired of the shipping excuse, people send things way more fragile than comics and they make it just fine. I believe and expert in the industry knows how to ship a box.

A baseball playe that was succesful at bat 43% of the time would be a gazillionaire.

How many zeros is that?