• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Yes, as stated in the other thread, 2 or more of the corner posts need to be broken in order for the comic book to be swapped out.

There's also zero reason for anyone to ever swap out a CGC 9.0 copy of Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra #3.

It could have become loose, and then he just re-attached it with a healthy mixture of spit, gum & cat hair.

All kidding aside, I have several CGC books where the top labels are missing as well - they do fall off from time to time.

There's also zero reason for anyone to ever swap out a CGC 9.0 copy of Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra #3.

This.

All kidding aside, I have several CGC books where the top labels are missing as well - they do fall off from time to time.

And this.

Bask in the glory that is Akanni23. You, too, can demand that your women read Watchmen, and then recite to you their reactions thereto.

I also want my children to enjoy comics the way that I did, which is why I have invented my time machine, and I will be whisking them back to 1977 as soon as they are old enough to read. (And after they born, too, but I may just use the time machine to go pick them up in the future and save some time.)

All hail Akanni23. I don't want to be an expert, either. I want to be a cowboy.

Thanks mschmidt,

But, no thanks I am not here to conform to what you think a comic book person should be. I love the Watchmen and I read them for the first time at the age of 10. I have several copies of each issue and every girl, I ever dated including my wife was asked to read the Watchmen and tell me what they thought about it. I asked them to read it because it was that important to me... to have them read IMHO one of the greatest stories of all time. I am not asking for your blessings because no matter what you say... the book will remain a 9.4. The problem with all this now is everyone is an expert, well I do not want to be an expert. I just want better standards and rules so everything is not so open to "feelings" and "interpretation" I have bought comics not collected them for a long time and I feel standards would help us all. I do not want a repeat of the 90's, I want my children to enjoy comics the way I did... and that is why I wanted the Watchmen collection. So, they could witness the mecca of comic books. So, if you do not agree with me that is fine but I am not revealing any sources and anyone's name. I have heard enough horror stories on here about CGC and their methods and now I have my own. I do not want to be an expert, you can have that title. Why don't you reveal some of the name of the graders who are undergrading these book at teh CGC?

It could have become loose, and then he just re-attached it with a healthy mixture of spit, gum & cat hair.

Lets hope its just cat hair... :eek:

man-hairy-back-by-SFBart.jpg

I'm so far into this thread the original poster has probably given up on it already, but if you are still there you need to realize that CGC grading is different then overstreet grading, and it takes a little while to learn the differences. When I sent my first batch of books in I expected higher grades as well. I have a Marvel Mystery 47 that looks like a 8.5 but was graded 6.5 because the back cover is dirty. That's a big difference in value. At first I was disapointed but the more I learned about their grading system the more I understood that they have no hidden ajenda. Its just the way they do things. I'm sure there are many people on these boards with similar stories. Here is my Marvel Mystery,

knottscomics040.jpg

That's a beautiful Marvel Mystery! It also brings a question to my mind. Is it my imagination or is there less tolerance for defects in modern books for CGC grading? It seems to me that Silver and particularly Golden age books get a bit more wiggle room. Maybe it's just me but I really can't tell you the difference between a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a modern book.

I'm so far into this thread the original poster has probably given up on it already, but if you are still there you need to realize that CGC grading is different then overstreet grading, and it takes a little while to learn the differences. When I sent my first batch of books in I expected higher grades as well. I have a Marvel Mystery 47 that looks like a 8.5 but was graded 6.5 because the back cover is dirty. That's a big difference in value. At first I was disapointed but the more I learned about their grading system the more I understood that they have no hidden ajenda. Its just the way they do things. I'm sure there are many people on these boards with similar stories. Here is my Marvel Mystery,

knottscomics040.jpg

The photo's not good enough to tell what is wrong or not wrong with the book. A scan of front and back cover would help.

Is that a brown stain on the spine?

knottscomics040.jpg

wow, that looks like a gorgeous book. is there a mountain of dog po*o on the back or something? i have had GA 6.5s with bad looking stuff on the back and fronts that don't look half as nice as that.

I thought because I had bought the books myself off the newsstands and comic book racks of local stores and stored them away without ever opening them much less actually reading them that they would come back with NM grades, not the shockingly low in my opionion 7.0 and 9.0 grades given. After reading this thread though, I understand more about why they didn't get the higher grades I had hoped for and accepting the lower grades they got is a bit easier now. I still hope that the other 8 books I submitted will grade high but if they don't I will just accept it for what it is since it has been made chrystally clear that CGC knows what it is doing and is the accepted standard in this hobby.

You may have been shocked & disappointed with your first submission to CGC, but at least you seem to realize that it's not because you can't trust CGC, but rather because buying a book straight off the rack has nothing to do with whether a book is high grade or not.

The guy who created this thread wasn't willing to do that at all - the reason he got hammered was because he kept on claiming that he was right and CGC was wrong, yet had absolutely nothing with which to back up his statements :thumbsup:

If you want to loose all sympathy you've expressed for the guy, try reading some of the other threads he's created - my favorite is the one where he insists that if you crack a CGC book to get it signed, CGC needs to guarantee that it will always come back the same grade no matter what might have happened to the book during the signing. He's a true certified loon.

lol, love this response.

My first submission came back very good.

8 9.8's

3, 9.6's, 1 I knew for sure would because of a fold on the rear cover (Yes I grade the rear also, unlike most)

creases, reader impressions, and blunted corners will never come back a 9.8 is what I base my 9.8 standard from.