• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Thanks for the comments,

But, I haver really heard enough, yes he could have made mistakes... but those mistakes could have been went either way his went down. Let me make this clear a lower grade on one or two is completely acceptable but missing 4 out of 7 is not. Now, I am not going to send in hundreds of books to see if he can raise that percentage. The very book he said was a 9.6 came back a 9.8 so if you count that one he really missed 5 out of 7. But, I did not count that one because it worked in my favor. It would take quite a bit of difference for a book to fall from 9.8 to 9.4 we went through a lot of books to pick this one out and many got rejected. So, I would like to thank you for your comments, to prove a point I am tempted to pop them out their cases and resubmit them to see if they come back higher or lower. But, i am waiting on his take on all of this, but either way 43% is not accurate enough for me and as I have said many times already: I have read enough horror stories about the CGC. So, the best think I can say is go to work and be effective 43% of the time and see how long you last. We learned this the hard way in the 1990's with image comics, quality stands the test of time gimmicks do not. A truly rare book will stand the test of time no matter if CGC grades it or not. I am not going to put my faith in a company who disagrees with one of the very people they support on their website. (Now thats a big hint)

Thanks for the advice Resurrection,

But, lets be honest. What are we reallying doing here? Am I supposed to buy hundreds of copies of a book to get a certain grade? Or is better for me to buy good books with good art that I like and worry about grading second? I think that is the difference with me and many on here, I have never bought a book for a grade. I buy books because I am looking for the next Watchmen or Sandman not looking for a grade. The time I take to look at books through a magnifying glass I could be out finding the next Strikeforce or Alien Legion. I believe letting experts do their jobs and paying them for that value. Now if I send in 7 books graded by and expert if 4 comes back below grading then something is wrong. Either my grader is off or CGC is off. This really has very little to do with me, I am not going to spend time detailing books. I know what I believe is a good book and what could be a near mint book a 9.4 is a near mint book but my grader said it should be a 9.8. In my opinion anything between a 9.2 and 9.8 should get about the same respect but that is not how this stuff works. If 9.2 thru 9.8 merited about the same price and value it would do away with this CGC manipulation strangle hold. A Watchmen #1 at 9.8 goes for over $300 but a 9.4 is not worth the price of grading.Yet the both are near mint, I agree that Watchmen #1 is worth over 300 but I believe a 9.2 should be worth about $200 not 14.95. I am just playing the game like everyone else, except I am cutting back on the learning curve. I want my children to have the best batch possible and that is 9.8. I have 8 of the 12 but I have a 9.4 #1 and 4. I see no need to send any more books to CGC when there is so many horror stories of mis grades. With consistancy there is only argument and when the truth finally comes out all those CGC graded books will be suspect and not worth the paper they are labeled with. For the sake of this industry CGC has to get more consistant because this Wild Wild West environment will not last.

Wow - that is seriously the worst drivel I've read in a long time on these boards. Please just go away.

I just spent the last ten minutes or so reading the majority of this thread... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :roflmao:

I believe the consturctive comments should end when someone wants more 'feelings' invovled in something as unbiased as comic grading.

This site supports this expert grader? Or is this grader a sponsor of this board? I think I have the name of this grader. It has to be Matt Nelson of Classics Inc. Or the Comic Link guys. But I'm going to go with Matt Nelson. He is a well respected expert in his field of restoration. If it is Matt Nelson. Then he needs to sharpen his grading abilities. He should be able to grade at a better clip than 43%!! He is a Restoration Expert. Not a professional comic book grader however. I'd ask his opinion as to why the book's came back lower than his estimates. He will of course, want to be paid for that opinion..

With consistancy there is only argument and when the truth finally comes out all those CGC graded books will be suspect and not worth the paper they are labeled with. For the sake of this industry CGC has to get more consistant because this Wild Wild West environment will not last.

Guy submits his first 7 books and immediately becomes an expert on the role played by CGC in the comic collecting hobby.

I want my children to have the best batch possible and that is 9.8. I have 8 of the 12 but I have a 9.4 #1 and 4. I see no need to send any more books to CGC when there is so many horror stories of mis grades.

Man, your kids are going to be so upset when they find out you shortchanged them by going for 9.8's instead of 9.9's and 10's. I hate to think how that will play out down the road.. family gatherings will be brutal.

Lovin' the conspiracy theories though, I think you've managed to hit most of them in one thread. There's a couple more you haven't gotten to yet, but I'm sure in time you'll get there.

Ok, maybe I took this rant too far, but I was upset and wanted to bring attention to my pain. I did not mean to offend anyoney, you guys did not grade the books and I do not mean to blame you. All joking aside my real questions will have to be answered by the people involved with the process. I apologize if I offended anyone or wasted your time. But, thanks for the comments and input I do feel better now. I hope you all have a good weekend. I will now end this rant with a thank you for all your comments.

This site supports this expert grader? Or is this grader a sponsor of this board? I think I have the name of this grader. It has to be Matt Nelson of Classics Inc. Or the Comic Link guys. But I'm going to go with Matt Nelson. He is a well respected expert in his field of restoration. If it is Matt Nelson. Then he needs to sharpen his grading abilities. He should be able to grade at a better clip than 43%!! He is a Restoration Expert. Not a professional comic book grader however. I'd ask his opinion as to why the book's came back lower than his estimates. He will of course, want to be paid for that opinion..

Are you just guessing Matt Nelson or has the OP PMed you?

Nothing personal but I have read some wacky accusations and conspiracy theories in the past but your statement has surpassed them all in leaps and bounds doh!

What would you know, aren't you that mythical "Nik Bump" guy?

:D

Nothing personal but I have read some wacky accusations and conspiracy theories in the past but your statement has surpassed them all in leaps and bounds doh!

You would have too ask my wife about the Nik bump :kidaround:

lol

Good lord.

Where's Bob Storms? There is no grading college, so I'm not sure how you get certified as a "grading expert". Most "experts" I know have just as many misses as most experienced collectors. CGC is one opinion. You don't like it? Oh well. However, CGC is the standard by which other people are valuing the books. Therefore, if your "expert" grades 9.8 and CGC grades 9.4, nobody cares what the opinion is of your "expert".

I've often found that people who complain about not getting 9.6s and 9.8s who haven't submitted before are simply finding out that CGC is far tighter than they imagined, ESPECIALLY on moderns.

FYI, I doubt that CGC has had any change in tightening on moderns given that Paul Litch is still the finalizer. He was always tough on moderns to me. Anyway, this rant is basically sour grapes.

You would have too ask my wife about the Nik bump :kidaround:

I noticed you said bump and not bulge. :blush:

1. dude creates an account at the beginning of a holiday/weekend.

2. dude's first post is to bash CGC on CGC's own website

3. dude seems to be able to navigate the forum and post this topic in the correct thread without any members' help.

4. makes accusations w/o and fact, his logic seems on the level of a 2 year old

me thinks the guy is a shill, high probability it's either someone banned from here or a Comics Corral member.

I think I agree with you trooper. His constant complaining about CGC and ignoring our reasonable replies coupled with his statements regarding putting together the best possible CGC Watchmen set for his kids while also stating that he buys books for great art and stories. Sounds like he has an agenda and dropped by the board to stir up a little Thanksgiving muck giving.

Yep, I agree with you Torch and Trooper. If the set was soooo important to him and his kids, you would think he wouldnt mind dropping the extra coinage on the 3-4 books he needs. I know everybody is on a different budget, but these books arent bank busters.

Did you just pull this out of your ? Because I personally have nothing but respect for Matt Nelson & his grading abilities.

This poster said this board supports the grader. That isn't to many people. Most likely a advertiser on these boards. Matt Nelson would be the logical pick. But as I stated it could be the guy's at Comic Link. But that isn't very likely. So put that up your &*@ and see who salutes it... Matt Nelson is one of the best there is at restoring, pressing, etc. The last time I looked he wasn't a professional comic book grader as his sole way of earning a living.. Though I'm sure he could be if he wanted too. His job is to restore/press/conserve comic books and other like materials. He himself has said he is not a professional comic book grader. He will give his opinion{pre screen} on the condition of a book His opinion on the grade of a book would have to be given very serious consideration. Especially to a person who is not familiar with the way a comic book should be graded. Who else is supported on these boards that would make more sense than Matt Nelson??

I am not sure. But Steve Borock may take book's for a professional pre screening. So much money for each book. He could give you his opinion on that $400 or that $50K book. His restoration detection ability would be of a tremendous help as well. But even Mr. Borock would have to add that he cannot guarantee the grade he assigned the book. He isn't the final grader at CGC anymore.

I would imagine he would be very, very accurate to the grade The CGC would give the book!! (thumbs u

This poster said this board supports the grader. That isn't to many people. Most likely a advertiser on these boards. Matt Nelson would be the logical pick. But as I stated it could be the guy's at Comic Link. But that isn't very likely. So put that up your &*@ and see who salutes it... Matt Nelson is one of the best there is at restoring, pressing, etc. The last time I looked he wasn't a professional comic book grader as his sole way of earning a living.. Though I'm sure he could be if he wanted too. His job is to restore/press/conserve comic books and other like materials. He himself has said he is not a professional comic book grader. He will give his opinion{pre screen} on the condition of a book His opinion on the grade of a book would have to be given very serious consideration. Especially to a person who is not familiar with the way a comic book should be graded. Who else is supported on these boards that would make more sense than Matt Nelson??

I am not sure. But Steve Borock may take book's for a professional pre screening. So much money for each book. He could give you his opinion on that $400 or that $50K book. His restoration detection ability would be of a tremendous help as well. But even Mr. Borock would have to add that he cannot guarantee the grade he assigned the book. He isn't the final grader at CGC anymore.

I would imagine he would be very, very accurate to the grade The CGC would give the book!! (thumbs u

Yep, like I suspected - straight out of your arse :screwy: