• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Thanks for the advice Resurrection,

But, lets be honest. What are we reallying doing here? Am I supposed to buy hundreds of copies of a book to get a certain grade? Or is better for me to buy good books with good art that I like and worry about grading second? I think that is the difference with me and many on here, I have never bought a book for a grade. I buy books because I am looking for the next Watchmen or Sandman not looking for a grade. The time I take to look at books through a magnifying glass I could be out finding the next Strikeforce or Alien Legion. I believe letting experts do their jobs and paying them for that value. Now if I send in 7 books graded by and expert if 4 comes back below grading then something is wrong. Either my grader is off or CGC is off. This really has very little to do with me, I am not going to spend time detailing books. I know what I believe is a good book and what could be a near mint book a 9.4 is a near mint book but my grader said it should be a 9.8. In my opinion anything between a 9.2 and 9.8 should get about the same respect but that is not how this stuff works. If 9.2 thru 9.8 merited about the same price and value it would do away with this CGC manipulation strangle hold. A Watchmen #1 at 9.8 goes for over $300 but a 9.4 is not worth the price of grading.Yet the both are near mint, I agree that Watchmen #1 is worth over 300 but I believe a 9.2 should be worth about $200 not 14.95. I am just playing the game like everyone else, except I am cutting back on the learning curve. I want my children to have the best batch possible and that is 9.8. I have 8 of the 12 but I have a 9.4 #1 and 4. I see no need to send any more books to CGC when there is so many horror stories of mis grades. With consistancy there is only argument and when the truth finally comes out all those CGC graded books will be suspect and not worth the paper they are labeled with. For the sake of this industry CGC has to get more consistant because this Wild Wild West environment will not last.

Well said.

The only thing getting pulled out of your !@# is Kling On T.P. Try the softer stuff. Your brain will thank you. Seems you sit on it all the time.... The last time you suspected anything. It turned out to be a thought. You gave it up for lack of understanding.... You Flushed it right down the pipes...

Matt nelson's grading skills are just fine. I send him books to pre-screen before going to CGC as he only charges $3 a book. It is much better than wasting money using my own grading skills.

Out of the last batch of moderns I sent him, He picked out 30 that had a shot at 9.6 or 9.8

4 came back 9.6

25 came back 9.8 and

1 came back 9.9

Matt nelson's grading skills are just fine. I send him books to pre-screen before going to CGC as he only charges $3 a book. It is much better than wasting money using my own grading skills.

Out of the last batch of moderns I sent him, He picked out 30 that had a shot at 9.6 or 9.8

4 came back 9.6

25 came back 9.8 and

1 came back 9.9

Please don't clog up the boards with facts. How the heck do you expect board conspiracies to blossom? :makepoint::insane:

I would find a new hobby or just collect comics to read. If HG Watchmen issues are giving you an aneurysm perhaps collecting high grade books isn't the road you want to travel. Just having books to read and not having to worry about condition is much more relaxing.

The only thing getting pulled out of your !@# is Kling On T.P. Try the softer stuff. Your brain will thank you. Seems you sit on it all the time.... The last time you suspected anything. It turned out to be a thought. You gave it up for lack of understanding.... You Flushed it right down the pipes...

I'm trying real hard to figure out what you're actually saying here, but, sorry, it just ain't happening.

If you have spoken to the original poster of this thread & he has confirmed that it is actually Matt Nelson who's his "expert grader", by all means accept my apology & feel free to continue your illiterate rants.

If not, then please STFU. I consider Matt to be a top-notch guy and he does not deserve to have his reputation dragged through the mud by someone who obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

See, I said please (thumbs u

This guy has a Watchmen fixation. He isn't going to tell anybody anything. I never, ever said Mr. Nelson isn't very good at what he does. I have seen his work. He is very good at his chosen craft. STFU yourself.... He said the person was supported on this web-site. " Avery big hint" as he called it. That doesn't leave to many people to choose from now does it. He admits he is not a comic grader. So why not go to someone who knows all about them? Matt Nelson fit's the bill better than anyone else on here that is "supported" on the board. Matt Nelson restores comic books and other like products. He IS NOT a professional comic book grader. He doesn't work for The CGC. PGX, ACE, etc... He can grade a comic book. Of that I have very little doubt. But it isn't what he does for a living, now is it? It really doesn't matter who it is. The man isn't happy with the grades his book's got. After being pre screened by someone he considers to be a expert in the field. Matt Nelson will pre screen books for certain grades. But he can't guarantee those grades. He isn't the one sitting in a grading room in Sarasota with other professional graders. What he can do is tell you if a book has been restored. What work was done, how well it was done. Of that there is no doubt. Plus do all the work himself. His reputation is just fine. He is known to be one of the best restorers there is. Why? He let's his work do all the talking....

Steve Borock was the head grader at CGC. He can grade a comic book. Maybe he can even do a little restoration. His reputation isn't going to suffer because he can't press a book or add pieces to one... He wasn't hired to do that when he was brought into the CGC. He was brought in to help get a comic grading book company off of the ground. He did his job very well. 'Nuff Said.

Edited by TFL

This guy has a Watchmen fixation. He isn't going to tell anybody anything. I never, ever said Mr. Nelson isn't very good at what he does. I have seen his work. He is very good at his chosen craft. STFU yourself.... He said the person was supported on this web-site. " Avery big hint" as he called it. That doesn't leave to many people to choose from now does it. He admits he is not a comic grader. So why not go to someone who knows all about them? Matt Nelson fit's the bill better than anyone else on here that is "supported" on the board. Matt Nelson restores comic books and other like products. He IS NOT a professional comic book grader. He doesn't work for The CGC. PGX, ACE, etc... He can grade a comic book. Of that I have very little doubt. But it isn't what he does for a living, now is it? It really doesn't matter who it is. The man isn't happy with the grades his book's got. After being pre screened by someone he considers to be a expert in the field. Matt Nelson will pre screen books for certain grades. But he can't guarantee those grades. He isn't the one sitting in a grading room in Sarasota with other professional graders. What he can do is tell you if a book has been restored. What work was done, how well it was done. Of that there is no doubt. Plus do all the work himself. His reputation is just fine. He is known to be one of the best restorers there is. Why? He let's his work do all the talking....

Steve Borock was the head grader at CGC. He can grade a comic book. Maybe he can even do a little restoration. His reputation isn't going to suffer because he can't press a book or add pieces to one... He wasn't hired to do that when he was brought into the CGC. He was brought in to help get a comic grading book company off of the ground. He did his job very well. 'Nuff Said.

The ignorance you're displaying is simple astounding. The OP/shill claims that whomever he used as his "expert grader" was "supported" on CGC's website - and suddenly you're convinced, without a shred evidence to support your lunatic theories, that this person is Matt Nelson? Who is as close to to a professional grader as you're going to find outside of CGC?

And what does Steve Borock have to do with anything?

:screwy:

Your ignorance would be bliss... I'm not convinced of anything. I just stated who I thought it may be... Being close to a professional isn't professional now is it?? College football is close to pro football.... But there not the same... Think what you want. I don't give a rats azz.... Now go and press some comic book's or something.... I don't have time for your little name calling and hissy fit's... Lunatic theories?? I looked it up. Your picture was used in the description... OOpssssssssss My bad. That was under Lunatic.....

Your ignorance would be bliss... I'm not convinced of anything. I just stated who I thought it may be... Being close to a professional isn't professional now is it?? College football is close to pro football.... But there not the same... Think what you want. I don't give a rats azz.... Now go and press some comic book's or something.... I don't have time for your little name calling and hissy fit's... Lunatic theories?? I looked it up. Your picture was used in the description... OOpssssssssss My bad. That was under Lunatic.....

This is awesome - you really need to stop letting your 5-year old use your computer (thumbs u

Personally I think if the poster seriously wanted some CGC 9.8 Watchmen then buy some already graded otherwise be ready to buy around 30 copies of each issue and hope for the best. Not every unread copy is a 9.8, quite a few end up being in the 9.2-9.4 range just due to normal handling. Thats just the way it is, that's why 9.8's cost so much more due to the time involved in searching for that perfect copy. Just my 2c and obviously I'm not a professional grader.

I would find a new hobby or just collect comics to read. If HG Watchmen issues are giving you an aneurysm perhaps collecting high grade books isn't the road you want to travel. Just having books to read and not having to worry about condition is much more relaxing.

The voice of reason. :)

Seven of my Watchmen books were graded by a well respected grader:

If we continue to let comic book grading be the Wild Wild West, we are going to end up with a joke of an industry on the brink of failure like in the 90's. An expert in grading should be right most of the time... I am so upset with this because, I believe these grades are unfair and in order to even try to get them changed I have to spend more money.

OK - your "well respected garder" was wrong. The thing that gets me is that you are person_without_enough_empathyin' about CGC's grading because they went against your well respected grader.

My question to you is - where do you fit in? Are you just taking someone's blanket assessment with no real input from yourself? If you want to complain about CGC's grading I would hope yuou have considerable grading experience yourself and not have to just take the word of a well respected grader (whomever it is). So what criteria did you use to judge your grader and CGC? You had to come up with some kind of determination for the proper assessment of yor grader and then relate that to CGC's determination. So with what criteria did you judge the merits of your pre-CGC grader and following on that with what criteria did you judge CGC's grades?

Not trying to sound harsh but you sound like someone who has another person do their homework then complains when the teacher gives a C.

Ok, maybe I took this rant too far, but I was upset and wanted to bring attention to my pain. I did not mean to offend anyoney, you guys did not grade the books and I do not mean to blame you. All joking aside my real questions will have to be answered by the people involved with the process. I apologize if I offended anyone or wasted your time. But, thanks for the comments and input I do feel better now. I hope you all have a good weekend. I will now end this rant with a thank you for all your comments.

I gather you are a big Watchmen fan who also wants to reap some financial benefits down the line... why not go into Watchmen original art ? There's loadsamoney in that :whistle:

THIS was a $1500 page 2 years ago and this week it sold for $5500.

No need to grade, no need to send to someone to get graded... just buy and watch it grow :cloud9: