• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

I posted this in general but its gettin' less action than a fat guy in a borat bikini so maybe my 1980s brothers will want to help me out and join in

---------------------------------------------

I thought it would be fun for comparison purposes (I also collect 80s/90s video games) to see how 1980s comics stack up against other 1980s collectibles like action figures, games, etc.

So what are the comics worth over 1k (and at what grade do they hit that figure)?

I'm sure I am missing tons but I guess the list would include at least these? Pure guesses I haven't watched this market in a while

- asm 300 (9.8/9.9?)

- asm 301 (9.8/9.9?)

- maybe asm 238 if high enough grade?

- albedo 2 (9.2 or so?)

- tmnt 1 (8.0/8.5 or so?)

- bone 1 (well I guess this is really early 90s) 9.4 or so?

- certain valiants (again I guess early 90s) in 9.8

- maybe GIJoe 21 in really high grade?

Others??

I agree with your list so far, GI Joe 21 in 9.8 would FOR SURE hit at least 1k now, with the movie coming out next summer. Others I would include that would hit 1k or better:

TMNT 1 8.0 min (sorry, didnt see this on your list doh! )

Daredevil 168 9.8 (sells for more than 1k)

Crow 1 9.8 (this book is near impossible to find in this grade, I could see this selling for close to 1k by now)

Have to think about it some more, but these are the first few that came to mind (thumbs u

thanks for the feedback guys. Its pretty slim pickin's for that decade at that dollar level, huh?

*edit: I suppose there's a shot that a tmnt 3 variant edition in 9.8/9.9 might get 1k, but that's kind of reaching. I think mm15 is reaching too... we can't start saying 'if it exists' because then we could get to 1k with tons of books in 10.0 'if they exist' :juggle:

I guess a TMNT 1 in 9.6/9.8 wears the 1980s crown huh? Somewhere between 10k and 20k I guess?

At first glance that looks like a pretty similar top range to 1980s video games (5-15k top range for a nwc cartridge, or a complete or sealed stadium events). I wonder how action figures fare in that respect? I know some 80s gi joe/transformers stuff is 5k+ but I am anything but knowledgeable on the subject.... anybody know?

-------

Hmm... actually, come to think of it, if we expand the parameters to production items, I guess 1980s original art really wears the crown, huh? I'm sure some of the big mcfarlane, miller, killing joke, etc covers could push 100k.

I assume its fair to say there aren't really any $1k 1980s coins, stamps, or trading cards short of something like a jordan or gretzky rookie in top shape? I would assume the football and baseball cards are plentiful and not worth much? Can't imagine the bonds and mcgwire rookies have done real well lately lol

I assume its fair to say there aren't really any $1k 1980s coins, stamps, or trading cards short of something like a jordan or gretzky rookie in top shape? I would assume the football and baseball cards are plentiful and not worth much? Can't imagine the bonds and mcgwire rookies have done real well lately lol

Yea, my Barry Bonds baseball card collection has definitely seen better days! :tonofbricks:lol

As far as books worth $1,000, your lists seems about right.

Here are the top Copper Age books according to the 2007/2008 Overstreet guide:

Miracleman #1 Gold Edition - $1500

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - (recent sale in 9.2 of $1713)

Gobbledygook #1 - $1000

Miracleman #1 Blue Edition - $800

Gobbledygook #2 - $650

Albedo #2 - $550

Vampirella #113 - $485

Grendel #1 - $175

Primer #2 - $130

Spider-Man #1 Platinum - $130

Spider-Man #300 - $125

Spider-Man #1 2nd print w/ Gold UPC - $120

I'd guess that any of these books would sell for over $1,000 in the right grade.

uh oh and with a username like bonds25 you must have a few bonds cards huh matt? :(

as for the list - ah yes, nicely done. forgot about the miracleman 1's, although having always wanted and then finally having obtained a gold edition I have to say it was the most anticlimactic experience of my life lol Just signed and numbered with a cheap gold coupon (the comic book is not physically different in any way). Since sold. Not worth having.

Also... I don't really think that spiderman 1 plat, gold upc, or primer 2 would hit 1k in 9.8. I could be wrong but I can't see it. I'm not so sure about grendel 1 either.

During the summer of '07, CGC 9.8 Watchmen #1s were going for over $1k but they have since come back to Earth (usually between $300 & $450). The CGC 10.0 Dark Knight Returns #3 came close a few months ago I think.

Don't forget Thorn: Tales From the Lantern. For those not in the know, this was the first appearance of most of the Bone characters in a comic book magazine (no Smiley). It reprinted a lot of the newspaper strips from the Ohio State University newspaper and was released in 1983. I've never seen a copy that could be called Near Mint. One that was described as "Very Good" was sold on eBay a couple weeks ago for $725.

I guess a TMNT 1 in 9.6/9.8 wears the 1980s crown huh? Somewhere between 10k and 20k I guess?

I guess 1980s original art really wears the crown, huh? I'm sure some of the big mcfarlane, miller, killing joke, etc covers could push 100k.

Don't forget that all of the art for TMNT 1 sold for $250,000

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - (recent sale in 9.2 of $1713)

Gobbledygook #1 - $1000

Must have missed that 9.2 sale or I would have been in on that.

And I would LOVE to find a Gobbledygook for $1000...any takers?

true re the art - although that was the whole book. Did it include the cover? I can't recall.

I agree re gobbledygook - I would pay 1k for one in a heartbeat and I don't even actively collect anymore

true re the art - although that was the whole book. Did it include the cover? I can't recall.

I agree re gobbledygook - I would pay 1k for one in a heartbeat and I don't even actively collect anymore

Yea, it included the cover. Even though it included all the art (and a mint copy of #1) it still is a tad on the pricey side.

Yea, it included the cover. Even though it included all the art (and a mint copy of #1) it still is a tad on the pricey side.

I don't think its that bad personally. Yes its expensive and probably more than it would get on heritage, but if I was eric roberts (the buyer IIRC) I would have bought it too.

Maybe Kevin needed the money. I mean... its the sort of thing where the future appreciation will always make the price seem cheap. Last thing I'd sell, especially if I had a hand in creating it. (shrug)

We're talking about the entire art to the most valuable comic book of the entire decade here! Hard to top that!