• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Iron Man 128 yes, Star Wars 107 yes, Spidy Platinum 1 1990 9.8 yes, Sandman 8 error yes, a Transformers 80 9.8 would have a good chance, so would Joe 21 9.8 if either hit the market this year.

The days of 9.8 copies of IM 128 going for over 1K are over....no?

Certainly the most rare item on the list.

Don't forget Thorn: Tales From the Lantern. For those not in the know, this was the first appearance of most of the Bone characters in a comic book magazine (no Smiley). It reprinted a lot of the newspaper strips from the Ohio State University newspaper and was released in 1983. I've never seen a copy that could be called Near Mint. One that was described as "Very Good" was sold on eBay a couple weeks ago for $725.

Don't forget Thorn: Tales From the Lantern. For those not in the know, this was the first appearance of most of the Bone characters in a comic book magazine (no Smiley). It reprinted a lot of the newspaper strips from the Ohio State University newspaper and was released in 1983. I've never seen a copy that could be called Near Mint. One that was described as "Very Good" was sold on eBay a couple weeks ago for $725.

If I had been quick enough, I probably would have hit the BIN on that thing. He had been listing it for about month at over $1k and I had been waiting for a drop to around $600. I simply didn't see it in time... :(

If I had been quick enough, I probably would have hit the BIN on that thing. He had been listing it for about month at over $1k and I had been waiting for a drop to around $600. I simply didn't see it in time... :(

I dont think your missing much docgo. The reason it dropped and was listed at that price was I was negotiating and about to purchase it from the seller when some additional info about the books condition was released. Honestly I dont think the book was in the condition the auctions had described it. Sounded from the seller like the cover was not all that nice

I dont think your missing much docgo. The reason it dropped and was listed at that price was I was negotiating and about to purchase it from the seller when some additional info about the books condition was released. Honestly I dont think the book was in the condition the auctions had described it. Sounded from the seller like the cover was not all that nice

Perhaps it was a blessing-in-disguise then. Like I said before, I've never seen one that would grade out at 8.5 or above. I've also never seen one graded by CGC so I thought there might be a Gobbledygook situation where they refuse to slab it for some reason.

I hope we're both able to find one... :wishluck:

Here is one that ended with a BIN. Probably would have got more as an auction. This may be the one that docgo mention earlier in this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/THORN-Tales-from-the-Latern-Jeff-Smith-Bone_W0QQitemZ400009706674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item400009706674&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

true re the art - although that was the whole book. Did it include the cover? I can't recall.

I agree re gobbledygook - I would pay 1k for one in a heartbeat and I don't even actively collect anymore

Yea, it included the cover. Even though it included all the art (and a mint copy of #1) it still is a tad on the pricey side.

How much would a Gobbledygook #1 go for in 9.8 signed by 6 and sketched twice???

0950268003 Gobbledygook 1 12/86 Mirage Studios

Signature 9.8 WHITE

SIGNED & SKETCH BY MICHAEL DOONEY & ERIC TALBOT & SIGNED BY KEVIN EASTMAN PETER LAIRD JIM LAWSON & STEVE LAVIGNE ON 8/23/08 Kevin Eastman Peter Laird

Bruce Hatten & Michael Dooney art Wraparound cover. Gizmo story.

8 pg Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story.

7 pg Donatello & Michaelangelo story.

I might be willing to part with it :)

true re the art - although that was the whole book. Did it include the cover? I can't recall.

I agree re gobbledygook - I would pay 1k for one in a heartbeat and I don't even actively collect anymore

Yea, it included the cover. Even though it included all the art (and a mint copy of #1) it still is a tad on the pricey side.

How much would a Gobbledygook #1 go for in 9.8 signed by 6 and sketched twice???

Signature 9.8 WHITE

SIGNED & SKETCH BY MICHAEL DOONEY & ERIC TALBOT & SIGNED BY KEVIN EASTMAN PETER LAIRD JIM LAWSON & STEVE LAVIGNE ON 8/23/08 Kevin Eastman Peter Laird

HOLY SPOON!!

Signature 9.8 WHITE

HOLY SPOON!!

:screwy: wrong gobbledygook 1 :news::foryou:

sorry but I wouldn't pay $20 for a '86.

Signature 9.8 WHITE

HOLY SPOON!!

:screwy: wrong gobbledygook 1 :news::foryou:

sorry but I wouldn't pay $20 for a '86.

Yea, the 86' version is essentially a 2nd print, and had a print run in the THOUSANDS as opposed to the 1st prints from '84 that had a run of about 50-150, depending on who you talk to. Your book is much more common and many times as raw doesnt even sell when listed as low as $0.99. That said, 9.8 blues have sold b/w $30-$50. So your SS is probably worth at least that and probably a little more.

Harbinger 1 (Valiant) has sold for as high as $2500 in 9.8.

There is a 9.9 gold UPC variant Spider-Man 1 that would sell for over $1K (it isn't in the census because it was graded before CGC created separate listings for the UPC variants).

A 9.8 copy of the platinum variant to Bloodshot 1 recently sold for over $5000 and 9.6 copies sell for $1K.

valiants are 90s, though, aren't they?

Yes. But since you mentioned them in your first post, I thought I would respond.

Spider-Man 1 is also 90s.

cool :)

----my take on all this is that its actually pretty amazing how very very few books from then are worth anything yet. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be amazed, it wasn't that long ago and the print runs were large. but there seem to almost be as many 1k 90s books as 80s books. and yeah I know it makes sense because the print runs dropped, but still.

Iron Man 128 yes, Star Wars 107 yes, Spidy Platinum 1 1990 9.8 yes, Sandman 8 error yes, a Transformers 80 9.8 would have a good chance, so would Joe 21 9.8 if either hit the market this year.

Not sure if a regular 9.8 copy of GI Joe 21 will break 1K, but I'm sure a 9.8 Canadian Edition would.