• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Ho Ho, bring on the Christmas covers
2 2

861 posts in this topic

Ken Hultgren, right? I don't think it's Jack Bradbury.

The ACG/Creston/Standard funny animal books (Giggle Comics and Ha Ha Comics) have some great art and stories! I have one GIGGLE and a handful of HA HAs and HAPPYs but no COO COOs (how long have I pined to write that sentence?) , and they consistently over-deliver, especially based on the price. 1945-53 in presentable good to fine condition and only one cost over $5.

Scrooge featured Ha Ha in his (sadly moribund) Month in the Life series.

Ha Ha Comics (bottom post if you use default page numbering)

Goofy Comics also has some information about the Sangor Shop funny animal artists.

Coo Coo Comics

Scrooge, did you feature Giggle out of order? Do you (or yulebones) think that many or most of the "?" art credits on those pages are Hultgren?

Jack

This is a cool book cover to cover

3057587289_ac1c322d10_o.jpg

I do think most of the work is by Hultgren. He brings a fun style & energy to these books. I can't imagine him doing all the titles, but I have had the most giggle, and they all look like him. Many stories are signed, and the ones that aren't in giggle or haha look just like him.

I also have been coo coo-less

Edited by shiverbones

Ken Hultgren, right? I don't think it's Jack Bradbury.

Definitely not Bradbury and does look like Hultgren. (thumbs u

Scrooge, did you feature Giggle out of order?

Never covered Giggle because I bought my copy in Nov. 2005 and I was already past it alphabetically by then with the Goofy entry posted on 08/16/05 for example. One day ...

Too bad on the Giggle since I really like that cover. I am attaching an example of a signed Hultgren splash for comparison too -

69937.jpg.61271d6abd9092e4a9efa2e81fa65147.jpg

69938.jpg.1255b02501df6e454d6467d89412f0ca.jpg

And if you want to see a bunch of "Golden Age era" Christmas LPs like this...

or decorations like this

you could visit my flickr page ;)more christmas fun!

Great collection of stuff at your flickr page. You are a very talented artist.

bb

Easy for you to say. I haven't slept for three nights since I saw this...

3073646038_4840eee1b5_m.jpg

And if you want to see a bunch of "Golden Age era" Christmas LPs like this...

or decorations like this

you could visit my flickr page ;)more christmas fun!

Great collection of stuff at your flickr page. You are a very talented artist.

bb

Easy for you to say. I haven't slept for three nights since I saw this...

3073646038_4840eee1b5_m.jpg

:roflmao: Kathy found that at a record store over thanksgiving. I instantly fell in love all over again!

The turkey leftovers are gone. Maybe it's time to revive this thread.

From 1954 to 1962, Western Publishing produced Christmas giveaway comics for Ford Motor Company, to be distributed at the famous Ford Rotunda. Some have great wraparound covers. Some issues contain comic art by noted children's book artist Richard Scarry. Most have some puzzle/activity/coloring pages. A couple of the later issues have more illustrated story content than comics.

Limited distribution, puzzles and coloring pages that were often completed, and demand by car collectors make these tough to locate in condition. The Guide has recently included them in the promo comic section, but the listed prices seem pretty low.

1954 issue

90296.jpg.c833efdd5c95774d6b882ab16eb82dc2.jpg