• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone remember The Dragon's Lair in Dayton, Ohio???

32 posts in this topic

I only got to go there a couple times. Once, back in "the day" of the early 1980's when it was 2 stories of good stuff including tons of old books (not the comic type) upstairs.

The second time was maybe 8 years ago, when it had been reopened as just a one level shop for a couple years. Pretty sure it has shut down again. :(

However, I bought gobs of back issues through the years from Danny Wilson (one of the original partners) when he did those traveling "antique shows" that went around the local mall circuit. Man, those were the days. :cloud9:

I went to the 1 story Dragon's lair on 5th street a couple of times, but it has been closed for 5 or 6 years now, if we are talking about the same place. Decent bronze selection, but it hadn't been properly cared for. Never bought much there, some copies of Ms. Marvel 16 and 17 and some decent squarebound Marvels. I was not in Dayton at the time of the two story shop, but it sounds frickin' sweet.

Who was working the counter? Was there a skinny guy in maybe late 40's/early 50's with short, curly hair & a moustache? If so, that would probably be Dan Wilson. He was not a "partner" in the last incarnation of the store to my knowledge, but I guess he was hired to run the place since he knew the customer base.

You're right, the 1 story incarnation was a mere shadow of its former self.

The main guy was a guy in his mid-twenties or so, seemed tall (but everyone seems tall to me) with a long blonde ponytail. He is still active in the Dayton comic market. Isee him at Mid Ohio and at Gem City every year. He may be affiliated with Bell Book and Comic in Oakwood.

Danny was a great guy. Used to buy stuff from him at conventions. Never went to the store, but I hear the economy around Dayton has really tanked over the last 15 years. Used to be a very good comic market, but not anymore..

Dale, I hope you don't mean Danny isn't with us anymore!? :eek:

Last time I saw him was probably 2003 at the Turtle Creek flea market in Monroe, where he was sharing a booth with some guy who was selling dvd's.

I heard through the grapevine that he may have been working at the Dayton Books & Co. in 2007... hm

Went there once, if you're into moderns good place to go. Large and spacious, lots of anime and cheap back issues.

If your like me and look for GA or some SA books, not your kinda place.

edit: went to the Columbus Ohio store, which I think is still there.

Edited by Paratrooper

No, I haven't seen Danny in years. Probably 7 or 8 years anyway. I hope he is alive and well and still buying funny books.

I hope so, too. I owe lots to Danny for being so cool to me over the years. Great guy. He told me once he had a basement full of GA books... :cloud9:

Never got a chance to visit the Dragon's Lair, but always heard good things. I tried to visit there near the end, but it was already closed. Some good things just don't last.

It seems that the market for comic books in the Dayton area isn't as strong as it used to be. There's still the Bookery in Fairborn...but it's such a far drive for me...I usually make it there 2 maybe three times a year.

Can any of you guys suggest a good comic shop close to Englewood...or west of there?

There is the old Funny Farm in Vandalia. I don't know what it is called now. The guy who owns it is nice enough and they have some interesting books. But you can never go through the back issues because he has stuff stacked all over. :frustrated:

This town lost a really good shop when the Bookie Parlor went down. Now it's down to maverick's and Bookery fantasy.

Maverick's used to consist of several stores in the SW Ohio area. I thought the last one was in Fairfield, and sold out to Queen City Comics a couple years ago, but I see that isn't the case. :popcorn:

Went there once, if you're into moderns good place to go. Large and spacious, lots of anime and cheap back issues.

edit: went to the Columbus Ohio store, which I think is still there.

Dragon's Lair in Columbus OH??? No, you must be thinking of some other store.

Oh your right! I move too many fricken times, get mixed up. Meant the Dragon's Lair in Fayetteville, NC right outside the gates of Ft. Bragg. Great store, forget about what I said earlier, this store had a crapload of back issues and sometime a sweet GA or SA book available. Believe they were selling statues on ebay for a bit. The owners were also in a local band that weren't too bad.

I really liked it when the Bookery used to come to the Motor City Show. I would always buy something from them and found the grading and pricing very fair and accurate. It's been a number of years though since they pulled out. It's too far away for a trip for me. (About 3 hours.)