• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

lol Well I don't think I have ever met anyone collecting all the waving covers!

I prefer symbolic or Mood covers above all, like the cap 74 you mentioned, or a lot of the Cheslers, that sort of thing, sort of between static & action. The Schomburgs really tend to be too much for my tastes, though he is no doubt a fine illustrator of those scenes. Like you say, personal taste! (thumbs u

"Mood covers" - I like that - it would also describe a fair amount of L.B. Cole's best work in the 40's - The Mask books , Catman 31, some of the Suspense covers - are all more about creating a mood rather than showing action.

Okay, I've read the whole thing, and even tho' I'm not a real D.C. guy, my vote goes to Superman #17. Superman's pose is classic, representing the genre, and the Hitler/Tojo aspect fixes it firmly in time. The K.I.S.S. rule culls out all the other baggage.

For me, nothing straddles the early, mid, and Atomic aspects of the GA as well as Action 101.  It is from 1946, smack dab in the middle of 1938-1955, it is from the title and features the hero which ushered in the GA, but it concerns the weapon that ended WWII and ushered in the Atomic Age.  And the style is evocative of a Fleisher cartoon - early GA and modern all at the same time:

Action Comics #101 (DC, 1946) Condition: VG+.... Golden Age | Lot #12231 |  Heritage Auctions

Edited by sfcityduck