• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.9
1 1

65 posts in this topic

Sooo ... the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9 and the Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 are both owned by a bunch of Yugioh nerds ? :o
They used to owned them but sold them years ago. :P
Plus, they had 2 copies of Iron 1 in CGC 9.9. One was definitely better than the other one.

Greggy;

Sounds like you are pretty well connected in this uber high end of the market!

I assume you must be best buds with all of these big shot buyers!!! :baiting:

I had a feeling that answer was coming about The Dentist. Just having fun with another topic.

That is just an amazing accomplishment coming into a Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 and wondering which country to purchase with it.

what is crazy is there are SO many hulk 181's, I can't believe anyone would pay a "kings" ransom for it...

heck, I bet most folks can't tell the diff between a 9.6 and a 9.9.... (shrug)

You put your finger on the pulse of "Supply and Demand". Actually it should be called "Demand and Supply". Or more accurately, just "Demand". Because when DEMAND is there SUPPLY really does mean nothing.

And I bet JC, who I have locked horms with here from time to time, would agree.

Demand always beats supply. And even when supply is strong, demand makes for foolish acts. This is truth I tell you1

I do believe the owner lived in Hawaii. I had heard he was bringing it to San Diego to have people Ohhh and Ahhhh over it years ago. Can't remember if he was taking offers on the book though.

I saw it at the SDCC some years ago. If you cracked the 9.9 out of its slab and a few 9.8s as well and asked me to pick out the 9.9, I probably wouldn't be able to. It did not look "Mint" to me; I recall thinking that there was enough minor wear there to call it a 9.8. But, the submitter got CGC on a good day, way back in the day, and now it's in a 9.9 holder waiting for some sucker lucky buyer to add it to their Registry set some day. :P

I do believe the owner lived in Hawaii. I had heard he was bringing it to San Diego to have people Ohhh and Ahhhh over it years ago. Can't remember if he was taking offers on the book though.

I saw it at the SDCC some years ago. If you cracked the 9.9 out of its slab and a few 9.8s as well and asked me to pick out the 9.9, I probably wouldn't be able to. It did not look "Mint" to me; I recall thinking that there was enough minor wear there to call it a 9.8. But, the submitter got CGC on a good day, way back in the day, and now it's in a 9.9 holder waiting for some sucker lucky buyer to add it to their Registry set some day. :P

I think so, it's just such a fickle thing, with a lot of 'good' 9.8's equally looking the part.

Not something I would be happy to put my money in without an excruciating inspection. And I do buy top census books all the time.

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Still only one 9.9 after all these years?

Has the book traded hands recently?

Well, from all of the apparent rumours on this book, I believe the owner is really caught between a rock and a hard place if he wants to recover his money here .  :gossip:

Can't really sell the book in its current condition, and yet can't really take the chance on cracking it out to be worked on and still hope for the same unique one and only uber HG label.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from all of the apparent rumours on this book, I believe the owner is really caught between a rock and a hard place if he wants to recover his money here .  :gossip:

Can't really sell the book in its current condition, and yet can't really take the chance on cracking it out to be worked on and still hope for the same unique one and only uber HG label.  (shrug)

I was wondering how the actual book has faired all these years encased in an old label slab.

SCS:tonofbricks:

21 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Ouch

Well, like I had alluded to earlier, it could also be nothing more than sour grapes and rumours made up by other owners of uber HG copies?  (shrug)

Which reminds me that I should really eventually get around to hunting down my copy of the book.  Hopefully, it's sitting right down at the bottom of some big pile of books getting the living daylights squashed right out of it to save me some unnecessary costs further down the line.  Squish, squash...............down you go into a nice little pancake.  lol

Seriously though, it had better be right up there in the CGC 9.9 territory :wishluck: (well ok, maybe in the CGC 8.5 territory at least lol) since it was a wall display book and I clearly remembered having to pay what was then an outrageous $5 for the book at the time and which was the most I had ever had to pay for a recent back issue back then.  :takeit:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, like I had alluded to earlier, it could also be nothing more than sour grapes and rumours made up by other owners of uber HG copies?  (shrug)

Which reminds me that I should really eventually get around to hunting down my copy of the book.  Hopefully, it's sitting right down at the bottom of some big pile of books getting the living daylights squashed right out of it to save me some unnecessary costs further down the line.  Squish, squash...............down you go into a nice little pancake.  lol

Seriously though, it had better be right up there in the CGC 9.9 territory :wishluck: (well ok, maybe in the CGC 8.5 territory at least lol) since it was a wall display book and I clearly remembered having to pay what was then an outrageous $5 for the book at the time and which was the most I had ever had to pay for a recent back issue back then.  :takeit:

Dig that book out and post some pics!  :smile:

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Dig that book out and post some pics!  :smile:

Well, probably not worth all the trouble to go all the way out to my sister's house to look for it.

Especially when it's buried with all of the other so-called hot back issues at the time, but otherwise what we now find to be common books such as the Adams/Smith Avengers run, Smith's Conan run, Adams intermitten Batman books, Byrne/Claremont X-Men run of books, etc.  In other words, definitely nothing to write home about since these are the types of books that tends to show up pretty much everywhere nowadays and relatively easy to buy if you really want to obtain a copy.  (thumbsu

The 9.9 CGC copy of Incredible Hulk sold in a ComicLink auction for $150,000 back in 2011. Below is the link to the CGC press release reporting the sale, along with a picture. It was the first Bronze age book to break the $100K barrier. I'm sure it would sell for substantially more than 150K if offered up now. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/2049/

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

The 9.9 CGC copy of Incredible Hulk sold in a ComicLink auction for $150,000 back in 2011. Below is the link to the CGC press release reporting the sale, along with a picture. It was the first Bronze age book to break the $100K barrier. I'm sure it would sell for substantially more than 150K if offered up now. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/2049/

Glorious! :golfclap: 

IH181(99w).jpg

21 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Glorious! :golfclap: 

IH181(99w).jpg

I'm I the only one who's seen lower graded copies that look as good if not better than this one?  I see a color break in the spine, corner tick on the lower bottom FC, and top right FC corner slightly blunted.  This is in a 2 second examination and not looking closely or magnified.

13 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

I'm I the only one who's seen lower graded copies that look as good if not better than this one?  I see a color break in the spine, corner tick on the lower bottom FC, and top right FC corner slightly blunted.  This is in a 2 second examination and not looking closely or magnified.

Soft top right corner should be enough to disqualify it from 9.9

23 hours ago, Tony S said:

The 9.9 CGC copy of Incredible Hulk sold in a ComicLink auction for $150,000 back in 2011.

Not correct. Exchange sale. Full BIN.

My friend missed it by a couple hours (iirc he was traveling). Huge Wolvie fan, at the time had a handful of 9.8s which is saying a lot as the number of 9.8s back then was no where near what it is today. He set the GPA high for first signed 9.8 copy.

Edited by Gotham Kid