• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

No Marvels at all until 73 but I do have just about every bronze age key now :grin:

( I take that back, we have one X-Men # 23, he's not sure how that got in there)

There are quite a bit of Sci-Fi books that have not come up for auction yet, mainly Strange Adventures and House of Mystery but I'll check the inventory when I get home.

The only books we kept from his childhood collection was Superboy 15 (it was coverless but also one of his first books) and the majority of the Dells. My dad and I are huge Disney fans, so we have a good run of duck books and Four colors. My dad recently started trying to fill in some gaps, I think he now has some of your old books Tim. lol

Some of you guessed early on but out Registry handle is TrinTrek. (thumbs u

Edited by MstrTech

David,

Welcome to the boards. Such fantastic books your dad collected. Will they be sold exclusively on Heritage?

I can only imagine the feeding frenzy if you were to sell some on these boards.

David,

Welcome to the boards. Such fantastic books your dad collected. Will they be sold exclusively on Heritage?

They remaining books not already w/ Heritage have sorta already been Inherited by me. Haven't quite decided what to do. I was waiting for all the Heritage stuff to move then I'll make a decision. :grin:

Many thanks, Tim and Andrew, for this thread.

Like many other SA DC collectors, I have spent a lot of years trying to put together just a moderate collection. Well, the Toth books have shown how far most of us still have to go to achieve a truly high grade collection!

I have wondered about this wondrous collection. Not just about how the books were chosen and safely taken home, but more about how they can have survived over so many years in such pristine condition? I assume the long time storage just evolved rather than being planned from the start? Incredible that anyone had the wisdom to archive the books in the condition. To carefully choose and store - without reading? - in an era when comic books were so ruthlessly consumed. Just amazing!

OK, to keep in line with some of the previous posts, here are a few Toth books:

Superboy_77_9-2.jpg

Superboy_80_9-0.jpg

Thanks for the post steelcity.

Actually my dad likes to make a point of letting everyone know that all the Issues that have been sold thus far ( and will be sold) were reader copies, he would read every single one. :o

Storage evolved over time,originally in daily newspaper plastic bags. When the technology evolved, into polybags. They went through about 3 bag changes over the years. My dad was also pretty cheap no boards. When storage became an issue he put them in long boxs, turned the box on end and filled it with as many as he could so they've basically been pressing for about 30 yrs. You couldn't even get a dime into these boxes, very tight. :grin:

i'd like to know what reasons were given for not giving the collection a pedigree status.

Trust me, we would to. :mad: No explanation has really been given. I've been keeping track of the average CGC grade of all the books and we are at about a 9.3. :o

With many as Highest or tied for Highest Grade.

Actually my dad likes to make a point of letting everyone know that all the Issues that have been sold thus far ( and will be sold) were reader copies, he would read every single one. :o

Hey Andrew, thanks for the information. So your Dad DID read his books! I'm glad he got to enjoy them. What a careful reader. Interesting to read from one of your earlier posts that he had access to books before they went on display. That was a huge benfit. The books I bought back in the 1960s were put out on spinner racks. This meant that the tops were often pulled forwards to see what issues were behind, resulting in spine stresses even before the books were bought!

Here is my alternative collecting experience. I, too, tried to be careful. So there I was with my newly purchased SA DC book. I was either going to walk home or be on my bike.

Either way - showers/rain/wind/people bumping into me.

I get the book home. I have to read it. Hands clean? Sometimes I would eat or drink while reading. Pets! Brother! My pal David Gough would call round and want to read any new book.

Storage? My room was always a mess and things would fall around.

Long term storage problems : others moving my books around/decorating/moving houses/damp/light exposure and so on.

Result? Though still loved my childhood books are a disaster in terms of condition.

So hats off to your Dad for successfully overcoming all the problems comic book storage posed through those years!

-Ian

David,

They remaining books not already w/ Heritage have sorta already been Inherited by me. Haven't quite decided what to do. I was waiting for all the Heritage stuff to move then I'll make a decision. :grin:

Selling them through the boards would be crazy, unless you're really into aggravation and lots of low-balling.

Moving them through the big auction houses is the way to go.

Here is my alternative collecting experience. I, too, tried to be careful. So there I was with my newly purchased SA DC book. I was either going to walk home or be on my bike.

Either way - showers/rain/wind/people bumping into me.

I get the book home. I have to read it. Hands clean? Sometimes I would eat or drink while reading. Pets! Brother! My pal David Gough would call round and want to read any new book.

Storage? My room was always a mess and things would fall around.

Long term storage problems : others moving my books around/decorating/moving houses/damp/light exposure and so on.

Result? Though still loved my childhood books are a disaster in terms of condition.

If 99.99% of kids hadn't been like you, Ian, there'd be nothing special about all of David's mint books!

i'd like to know what reasons were given for not giving the collection a pedigree status.

Trust me, we would to. :mad: No explanation has really been given. I've been keeping track of the average CGC grade of all the books and we are at about a 9.3. :o

With many as Highest or tied for Highest Grade.

Anyone know Haspel's ID? I want to send him a PM inviting him to see this thread and comment on why CGC won't recognize the Toth collection as a pedigree.

Selling them through the boards would be crazy, unless you're really into aggravation and lots of low-balling.

Moving them through the big auction houses is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice Tim. I'd really like to move some of the other books. I thought about setting up at a local show, but I'd really like to sell them in groups not just cherry picking. I do have an E-bay account, so I may need you guys to vouch for me. :grin:

are th erest of the books what Heritage didnt want? or books you held back from them? Probably a mis, right? but can you shed some light on how the decisions were made, since at the beginning Id think you were all leaning on listening to what they suggested.

Not necessarily what they didn’t want.

But you have to understand my father was very attached to these books. We were initially excited about the possibility of a pedigree because at least then they would sorta always be his. So we didn’t push the issue too much if Heritage didn’t seem fully interested.

We decided early on that anything Disney related we’d keep, so that took out many of the early Dell issues and what was left was Bugs Bunny, Woody Wood Pecker, etc. not the best stuff, but all in decent grade. I had decided that since the collection was going to eventually be mine anyway that I was keeping ASM and X-Men (working on complete runs), so that left a lot of Bronze age Marvel’s that are good $$ but not great.

So in the end it was decided to just sell the DC’s through Heritage to start and after that reconvene. :grin:

thanx. Now after many of the early HG DCs have sold, and you understand more about the whole process of converting a collection into $$$, do you feel Heritage was the right choice? I think I speak for many of us in wondering, when the time comes, which avenue would be the most profitable, easiest, or combination of both.

We decided early on that anything Disney related we’d keep, so that took out many of the early Dell issues and what was left was Bugs Bunny, Woody Wood Pecker, etc. not the best stuff, but all in decent grade.

That's all kid stuff, which no one wants. But just because I'm a nice guy, I'd be willing to pay cover price in order to get all those unwanted Disney books off your hands.

Are there any Dell Turoks and Tarzans, by any chance?

I was keeping ASM and X-Men (working on complete runs), so that left a lot of Bronze age Marvel’s that are good $$ but not great.

It really depends on what kind of grades the BA Marvels are, and whether you're talking early BA (1970-1974) or late BA (everything after). If you think the early BAs would consistently grade out CGC 9.6 and higher, they can be worth quite a bit, even the non-keys. Even in 9.4 a lot of them would be worth decent money. If a lot might grade out 9.8, you might actually get more than for a lot of the SAs. But I'm guessing that you know this already.

For Marvels and BA (Marvel and DC), you wouldn't necessarily need to go through Heritage, either. They were definitely the right choice for the SA DCs. But for Marvels and BAs, you could consider eBay or Comiclink or Pedigree's auctions. If you wanted to just do fixed-price consignments (which I would not recommend), then you could consider eBay, Comiclink, Pedigree, or HighGrade, off the top of my head.

thanx. Now after many of the early HG DCs have sold, and you understand more about the whole process of converting a collection into $$$, do you feel Heritage was the right choice? I think I speak for many of us in wondering, when the time comes, which avenue would be the most profitable, easiest, or combination of both.

There is no question in my mind that they made the right choice in going to Heritage to sell of the early DCs. Have you seen the prices they've sold for?!