• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The David Toth Collection
1 1

278 posts in this topic

pretty sure this is a Toth:

wf98cgc.jpg

It certainly is Toth, and a great book to have so nice. The benefit of Heritage archive section for Toth books is that we can see the original sale books, which identifies yours. I have bought a couple of books not stated as Toth but clearly identified from the Heritage scans. The problem arises when books are either cracked out or resubmitted for grading. It seems inevitable that many books from this collection will eventually lose their identity. It is a pity certificates were not originally issued, similar to, say, the Brad Squared ones, to help Toth books remain known as such.

wf98cgc.jpg

It certainly is Toth, and a great book to have so nice. The benefit of Heritage archive section for Toth books is that we can see the original sale books, which identifies yours. I have bought a couple of books not stated as Toth but clearly identified from the Heritage scans. The problem arises when books are either cracked out or resubmitted for grading. It seems inevitable that many books from this collection will eventually lose their identity. It is a pity certificates were not originally issued, similar to, say, the Brad Squared ones, to help Toth books remain known as such.

I'd be happy if they just included the provenance on the invoice/title...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

wf98cgc.jpg

That`s a beauty. I can only imagine how lustrous the inks must be on that cover.

..... I think I may have been underbidder on that.... I always loved those WF issues with Kirby Green Arrow :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have sometimes wondered if he had favorite titles or even favorite individual issues?

So as promised I spoke with dad today. I was pretty much correct in the JLA stuff he also reminded my about how much he liked World's Finest. As to a particular story the only thing he could remember,so I guess you would have to say it made an impression, was the Shrunken City of Kandor stories.

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

Ahhh Silver

Good to hear from you again.

Glade you held on to some of them. I personally really liked some of the books you purchased, just from a cover art perspective (I never attempted to read any of these books). I really like the Bizzaro covers and the ones with all the deep purple, they really seem to pop. :applause:

How goes your Jimmy Olsen collection? If I remember correctly that was your main focus from the collection.

Andrew

Ahhh Silver

Good to hear from you again.

Glade you held on to some of them. I personally really liked some of the books you purchased, just from a cover art perspective (I never attempted to read any of these books). I really like the Bizzaro covers and the ones with all the deep purple, they really seem to pop. :applause:

How goes your Jimmy Olsen collection? If I remember correctly that was your main focus from the collection.

Andrew

Jimmy Olsen is complete, so is Lois Lane. I never sold any of my books from your dad's collection. I probably never will. There are only a few pedigrees I really like for the books I collect, Toth, Oregon and Toronto are probably my favorites.

Btw. the World's Finest 96 actually presents so much nicer in a mylar. The colors are so glossy, the slab scan does that book no justice.

Don't I know it. I had to inventory all those books on at least two occasions and I helped with a re-bagging in the mid 80's. I remember a lot of the covers but like I said was never allowed or wanted to attempt to open any.

Glad to hear you'r planning on holding on to them at least I'll always know where to find a few. :banana:

Andrew

Ah, the good old days when I was still actively collecting SA DC.  :cloud9:

Man I loved the Toth books!  They were so fresh!  The JLA 10 was not the best book I've ever owned structurally, but it looked so bright and new that it looked like it just came off the newsstand.  

I always felt the David Toth collection was one of the best Silver Age DC collections to surface.

It encompassed the hard to find 10 cent DC period from the late 1950s and had many keys.

The colors and page quality are outstanding!

Even though it leaned more to Superman-related titles and lacked some of the other bigger SA DC titles of the time period (like Showcase), I always felt it deserved some recognition from CGC on the label. Maybe not pedigree status, but at least one of those "From the Collection of" designations.

The collection came out right before things got crazy price wise. Some books got upgraded on resubmits and probably pressings.

It was an exciting collection when it first surfaced and would have been an outstanding collection (quality and sale prices) if it surfaced today whole!