• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

I managed to pick up a third printing of #1 in pretty good shape (8.5 or 9.0, 9.2 or 9.4 if I'm really lucky)  for about 20$ or so. Do third printings move price wise much? If I'm interpreting GPA correctly subsequent printings seem beyond stagnant.  Or is it all about the 1st printing? Got #2 in a 1st and 2nd printing for 10$ each. #3 in a first printing. Up to #5, I think. Got to read them to see what all the fuss is

Edited by NoMan

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I managed to pick up a third printing of #1 in pretty good shape (8.5 or 9.0) for about 20$ or so. Do third printings move price wise much? Or is it all about the 1st printing? Got #2 in a 1st and 2nd printing for 10$ each. #3 in a first printing. Up to #5, I think. Got to read them to see what all the fuss is

The #1 third printings can sell for 60-70 easy in high grade.    Second printings have more traction because their print run was much smaller than the third.  First printings are where the focus is.

Sounds like you got a good deal on all of them, assuming you bought them recently.  But I wouldn't read them especially the ones in higher grade.  Every less-than-careful touch sends their value down.  Just find the books online or get a reprint to get the story.  The first run is classic and has some of my favorite storylines.

Edited by GM8

1 minute ago, GM8 said:

The #1 third printings can sell for 60-70 easy in high grade.    Second printings have more traction because their print run was much smaller than the third.  First printings are where the focus is.

Sounds like you got a good deal on all of them, assuming you bought them recently.  But I wouldn't read them.  Just find the books online or get a reprint to get the story.  The first run is classic and has some of my favorite storylines.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Yeah, that's what I figured. My heart skipped a couple of beats when I saw the cover to #1 in a stack from the seller. 

Oh, well. :sorry:

3 hours ago, jeranimal said:

I'm surprised this is still under $30,000.  There must be a bias for Heritage Auctions that makes people  believe their items are more valuable, and I don't mean the buyers/seller's premiums.  Ebay is a do-it-yourself platform that doesn't translate to high-priced items, it appears.  Maybe because HA has the items in-hand and they certify them.

That said, I think this ends at $33-35K. 

Edited by GM8

3 hours ago, jeranimal said:

I'll go 34,000.  Can't see it hitting close to 40 since this guy originally listed at 30 then quickly raised to 40 but had no takers.  Don't know that any offers were ever made.

50 minutes ago, GM8 said:

I'm surprised this is still under $30,000.  There must be a bias for Heritage Auctions that makes people  believe their items are more valuable, and I don't mean the buyers/seller's premiums.  Ebay is a do-it-yourself platform that doesn't translate to high-priced items, it appears.  Maybe because HA has the items in-hand and they certify them.

HA has wealthy people they call on and try to get interested in premium items like this.  People who may not even be comic book collectors, particularly foreign investors/collectors. Basically investors who would never even search eBay from something like this.

Thats the real value they add, more potential bidders with far bigger wallets.

Edited by szavisca

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

HA has wealthy people they call on and try to get interested in premium items like this.  People who may not even be comic book collectors, particularly foreign investors/collectors. Basically investors who would never even search eBay from something like this.

Thats the real value they add, more potential bidders with far bigger wallets.

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

I hope the auction stays right where it is...B|

image.png.b4a0fa4570ae2931b9d48516eb1fefe6.png

Mwahahahaha! 

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

Now its $30,000w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $35,850.00.  A record so far.

And the poor little 9.6 at $4,600... I was thinking it might be 40k for the 9.8 And 20k for the 9.6...I think the presence of the 2 in the same auction undoubtedly hurts the 9.6.  Long time left anyway.  I really hate these month long Auctions.