• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

Final sale of 9.6: $14,340.  A step down certainly from the $26K we saw late last year on the other HA auction (note that sale was White pages, this most recent one was OW/W but that doesn't account for the difference).  That one looks to be an outlier.  The real value of the 9.6 is somewhere around $12-15K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7177-91319.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Final sale of 9.8: $35,850.  A 19% jump in price from the recent $30.1K sale on Ebay and more in line with what we'd expect between 9.6 and 9.8 values.  Going forward look for sales ranges between these two numbers $30-36K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7177-91318.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by GM8

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

1 hour ago, cmzare said:

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

I think you got the market price, congrats, and it was probably kept lower because of the 9.8 also for sale. I agree that the 9.6 that sold for $26K was likely a press candidate, the description said it was "hidden away in a bedroom for many years."  Although it doesn't say that it wasn't pressed - and the premium paid is a big risk to take the chance. I guess the only way to know is to follow the CGC # (1294883001) and see if it gets removed from the database and a new signed 9.8 comes forward.

53 minutes ago, loboagain said:

Based on the two recent sales of TMNT #1, what range does a 9.2 & 9.4 fall into?

Recent 9.2 sales I don't have, although there is one current listing on comic connect here: 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=748691

Recent 9.4 sales I have a few, $10,500 on 12/6/17, $8250 on 12/17/17, and $10,300 on 1/5/18.  That range is fair value in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, cmzare said:

Fantastic grab ... really only saw one faint tick on the spine,  looks like a worthy 9.6 to me, and I know the one that went for 26k had white pages but the one you just won looks a bit sharper to me.  That one had more noticeable ticks and some slight crunching on the corners that I don’t want to see in an ultra High grade book.

Congrats!

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

6 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Yeah I'll stick with my 8.0 I can't play with the whales around here.

29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would be surprised if the next 9.6 that came up went for less than $15k actually.  Those don't come up for sale much either and the 9.8 present in the sae auction certainly stole a lot of its thunder.  The "PQ" on the label was a non-factor.

-J.

PQ is always a factor, especially on copper/modern books.  If a copper/modern book has anything less than white pages, ,it will go less than what a white will go for (if wrap is the same). 

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Have we met?  If not, I should probably warn you I'm the last person you want to go down this rabbit hole with.  Chief.  (thumbsu

-J.

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

13 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

If you are going to say PQ isn't a factor with TMNT 1 you should probably come up with better comps than NM 87, 98, and 300. 

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

2 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

36 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

Yeah, I can't imagine ow-white would be any difference in price specially on a book like TMNT 1's.