• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

I don't want to get into the weeds but I do follow TMNT #1 sales and will say that the rarity of the 1st prints does tend to diminish the price difference between OW/W and W page qualities. The lack of supply seems to make people just want a copy and the grade is the singular thing they give weight to, sometimes they don't even care about that as can be seen in the price bunching of the mid-grade copies. There is a limit most collectors can spend on this book and the little differences matter less.  It's an anomaly really.

That said, page quality does matter for almost every other copper book with larger print runs.  It makes sense because its a means of differentiation. Take NM 98 for example, search ebay sales for 9.8's, sort the direct, unsigned versions by price and you'll see that from $880 down to $750 are all WP.  OW/W only sell from $750 and down.  That's not a mistake, its because of the page quality.

From what I’ve seen PQ doesn’t seem to make much of a difference on the 9.6 Auctions... but I suspect that it will in the future, something has to differentiate these near identical copies in the same grade.

When it came time to get a 9.6 copy a few years ago, I ignored all the ow-w ones.  I don’t think I paid more for white page copy... but i waited on one and am happy I did.

Well see how it plays out in the future... but I’ll bet there’s a lot of other people who have the same attitude I do about it.  If demand/number of people willing to pay big for these increases significantly I think white page copies will get a premium.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

From what I’ve seen PQ doesn’t seem to make much of a difference on the 9.6 Auctions... but I suspect that it will in the future, something has to differentiate these near identical copies in the same grade.

When it came time to get a 9.6 copy a few years ago, I ignored all the ow-w ones.  I don’t think I paid more for white page copy... but i waited on one and am happy I did.

Well see how it plays out in the future... but I’ll bet there’s a lot of other people who have the same attitude I do about it.  If demand/number of people willing to pay big for these increases significantly I think white page copies will get a premium.

Astute move.  Some will have you think it doesn't matter.  Savvy buyers will always hold out for the best presenting copies (including PQ).  When it comes time to sell, you'll be rewarded. 

Well it does get interestinger and interestinger. The curious case of TMNT #1 9.8 with cert # 0950071001.  Now in preview mode on Heritage here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7187-14001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

So, the story goes that back on 4/1/2016 this beauty sold on Comic Connect for $27,222.00, and has been verified with CC. Then on 4/29/16, the ever-present nick_bridger apparently sold the same book on ebay for a final auction value of $24,100.00. To those unfamiliar he has had several 9.8's on ebay that either sell, or kinda-sorta sell or we're not really sure. It is a little odd how the book sells for 27K then he sells the same book for 3K cheaper a month later. Anyhow it's available again this time on HA, bidding starts on 4/20/18. No idea if he's the seller but HA is legit so this should be drama free for the winner.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:09 AM, GM8 said:

Well it does get interestinger and interestinger. The curious case of TMNT #1 9.8 with cert # 0950071001.  Now in preview mode on Heritage here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7187-14001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

So, the story goes that back on 4/1/2016 this beauty sold on Comic Connect for $27,222.00, and has been verified with CC. Then on 4/29/16, the ever-present nick_bridger apparently sold the same book on ebay for a final auction value of $24,100.00. To those unfamiliar he has had several 9.8's on ebay that either sell, or kinda-sorta sell or we're not really sure. It is a little odd how the book sells for 27K then he sells the same book for 3K cheaper a month later. Anyhow it's available again this time on HA, bidding starts on 4/20/18. No idea if he's the seller but HA is legit so this should be drama free for the winner.

Another opportunity for a 9.8 :)

19 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I love the internal sigs, and think you've hit the sweet spot with grade too...nice book! (thumbsu I'm a little jealous...I was trying to do the exact same thing you did last year (upgrade my 8.0 for a 9.0ish with internal sigs), but wasn't successful...doh!

I agree as well.  A nice round "9" (or higher!) makes me sleep so much better at night...on this book and silver age stuff.  Stick with it man!  I don't like selling my books outright and then trying to upgrade, because I fear I might not find be able to find a better copy.  After a few dozen tries, I finally found the right person and the right deal. My book, plus cash, for the upgrade.  Be persistent and stay patient! (thumbsu

On 2/23/2018 at 9:49 AM, loboagain said:

Based on the two recent sales of TMNT #1, what range does a 9.2 & 9.4 fall into?

A 9.2 just sold on ebay for $9,947. This was a set of 2, 3, and 4 also...but you can take maybe $200-300 out for those and get a value of the 9.2.

7 hours ago, cmzare said:

My recent acquisition ...

img20180314_22510927.thumb.jpg.47e8cc1dbdfb5186859e4bddadc1a67e.jpg

Very nice.  And in retrospect I believe you got a very good price.  Having both those auctions at the same time really split the bids I believe.  Two 9.4's just sold recently for around $10.5K each, and asking prices on current ones are higher.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L5986-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-FIRST-PRINTING-9-4-Graded-CGC-/312047797291?hash=item48a77f842b%3Ag%3A9LIAAOSwqaJaX8FM&nma=true&si=cwVNZCVAT8aY6F%2FQbwQrdFHWQ5Q%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This 9.4 SS sold for $10,100 approximately.  It was flipped from a previous sale back on 11/29/17 for a $2500 profit (not including fees). This new sale price is in line with recent sales of 9.4's.

Edited by GM8

7 hours ago, oseedcltr said:

Do you think there would be a premium put on a cgc 9.4 white pages with the two interior signatures?  What would everyone’s guess be on an avg for that caliber of book?

There was some "discussion" about this earlier in this or the other TMNT thread. It seemed more about emotion than the reality. The reality here is that 4 of these 9.4's have traded since 12/1/17. Of those, the OW/W page ones sold for $10.5K, $10.3K and $10.1 K. The 4th one with White pages? Sold for $8225 on 12/17. o.O

The sales prices are almost singularly determined by the grade with this book. It's so rare especially in the higher grades that the page quality is an afterthought for buyers, apparently.

Edited by GM8